cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM selling phones

Patrick_R
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Has anyone heard this or is it myth a rep at a Best Buy Store advised he heard from a Kudo Rep that Public Mobile will start selling phone just like Kudo and Telus?

12 REPLIES 12

@Korth There's always a premium price for best and newest phones. The trick is to buy what you need or buy last year's model. Buying the newest and fanciest isn't cost effective.

You can always buy premium/flagship devices (including iPhone 11 Pro MAX and Galaxy Note10+/S10+) from all sorts of vendors. Unlocked, unbranded, unbloated. Although you wouldn't benefit from carrier subsidies so the devices might cost a little more overall, and you'll have to pay the full price up front. And some tech features (like VoLTE) are commodity incentives accessible (withheld) only for elite devices purchased through carrier contracts, so if you buyvfrom someone else you can't use all your toys properly anyhow. 

I agree that $$$$ smartphones are mostly unnecessary, $$$ mid-end devices already seem overkill for the sorts of things I see most people doing on their phones. Some people do rely heavily on phone computing, some people buy fashion instead of tech - and more power to them if expensive phones can make them happy - but the appeal of those choices isn't for me, I'd rather spend that sort of money on other sorts of mobile devices with more robust hardware spec. 

zebios
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't think that PM will opt for this option, their strengths is to provide competitive prices..if they start the phone sale business with a balance they will never be the first choice. Just an advice, buy a phone and never think about balance stuff..this is just a marketing trick to trap customers. I have a huawei honor 8X that i bought from amazon and i'm completly satisfied with it..There are phones out there cheaper and more performant that an iphone x. This is just my point of view Smiley Wink

PM doesn't have physical stores, service staff, and inventory. Wireless retail is obviously a cut-throat industry which requires serious investment to succeed.

But PM might have access to Telus and Koodo and all of their retail resources. I don't know if PM is an autonomous business or if PM is just a branded Telus department. I imagine PM would then just become shelf-filler at Koodo stores, PM's brand identity would be overshadowed and consumed and repurposed, PM's value (to customers) would gradually but irresistably get eroded. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Patrick_R, why would you be interested in getting flip phones and the like?  You get pretty much bottom of the barrel hardware with prepaid carriers.  I would hope Public Mobile never sell phones.  It would add to their cost of doing business and add negligibly to the customer experience.  BTW, you spelled the carrier name wrong.  Also it is kudos to Public Mobile. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

who knows what will happen both lucky and chatr offer phones,  and PM has changed alot of its business model so it is possible.  I would rather see unlimited data first.  BUT until we see it actually happen or be announced... the foreseeable future is no.

@Patrick_R wrote:

Can you buy a new phone at the new Public Mobile Booths in Edmonton?

I've moved these 2 threads about the same topic into one thread and moved them into the Phones & Harware category.

As for your question, that has already been answered.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Patrick_R wrote:

Has anyone heard this or is it myth a rep at a Best Buy Store advised he heard from a Kudo Rep that Public Mobile will start selling phone just like Kudo and Telus?

Nope, if they do that why bother staying open? They'd be getting more like Koodo.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

That will happen right after Public Mobile starts having physical store across the country.  We all know when the stores will come.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Patrick_R 

This is news to me.  But the prepaid phone will not be the latest flagship phone.

@Patrick_RPublic Mobile doesn't sell phones.

Patrick_R
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Can you buy a new phone at the new Public Mobile Booths in Edmonton?

Need Help? Let's chat.