cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM not supporting Apple XS?

lanlin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PM is not on the list of Canadian service providers for the latest iphones? Strange.

Iphone xs canadian carriers

16 REPLIES 16

piggykiller

We are too small to get onto the list. so sad......anyway i ordered the xs 256g anyway. I will get you the update by the end of this month.  cost me 2000+   omg.

@killer23d wrote:

It's fine, it's Telus network PM runs on. The iPhone will just fine but you are going to be missing out some iPhone only features like visual voicemail etc.

PM is a BYOD service and I guess that support list means the carrier is selling the device?

That is what I picked up from watching the release, they were only listing carriers that provide the phones. 

Never the less PM is on the Telus LTE network with most plans just throttled to 3g so, like many have mentioned, there is no reason for those phones not to work. 

BTW I have never used AR but it sure look amazing when they displayed the capabilities of the  new iphones.

killer23d
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's fine, it's Telus network PM runs on. The iPhone will just fine but you are going to be missing out some iPhone only features like visual voicemail etc.

PM is a BYOD service and I guess that support list means the carrier is selling the device?

Neptune3d

@stonechucker wrote:

Visual voicemail isn't a transcription service, is it?  I thought it was just a list of voicemail messages sent to the phone so you didn't have to call into the system to get.

In the case I'm speaking about, setting up a call-forward to Fongo app (with a free telephone number) does essentially this.

Ah, you are, of course, correct!  I was thinking it worked like the PBX version we have at work, which does transcribe messages and shoots them to email (shudder).  It looks like instead it just stops you from having to call the number, go through the prompts, etc.  Elegant solution for something that, honestly, I think is dying.  The look of disgust on most peoples faces these days when they hear their phones ring.  You can almost see on their face "why doesn't this heathen text me?!"

Visual voicemail explained from Telus 

Visual voicemail isn't a transcription service, is it?  I thought it was just a list of voicemail messages sent to the phone so you didn't have to call into the system to get.

In the case I'm speaking about, setting up a call-forward to Fongo app (with a free telephone number) does essentially this.

Neptune3d

@stonechucker wrote:

@Neptune3d, for example, VisualVoiceMail, VoLTE, VoWiFi/WiFiCalling.  The frills we don't get here.  That's all I meant.  Hmmm... not bad for a guy who hasn't rocked an iPhone since June 2016 🙂

Ah, those features, honestly I didn't even look to see if first tier providers had them, I just figured they weren't available in our region (and everytime I've seen visual voice mail....well...it's made google translate look accurate! Smiley Very Happy)

@Neptune3d, for example, VisualVoiceMail, VoLTE, VoWiFi/WiFiCalling.  The frills we don't get here.  That's all I meant.  Hmmm... not bad for a guy who hasn't rocked an iPhone since June 2016 🙂

lat34hat34

Oh, I know. I was just more so wondering if the newer models of the iPhone would have smaller SIMs since PM isn't included on the list. I thought it wouldn't be surprising since they got rid of the headphone jack and what not. 

Neptune3d

@stonechucker, just curious, what features do you not have with PM out of curiousity?  I have everything working and can't see anything that's not functional.  AFAIK the only things that don't work on PM are eSim, which rules out the dual sim of the XS and Cellular features from the watches series 3 and 4 cellular model watches.

Agreed about Wind, that was a horrid experience.  Couldn't even activate iMessage/facetime because of the international number needed send the SMS out that would activate the service.

@stonechucker wrote:

I should add to what I said earlier, the basic support for the device will be on Public Mobile (most likely).  It's all the 'extra' features that we don't get here, that you won't be able to use unless you switch to a 'supported' network.

I was on WIND with a 'gently-loved' iPhone 5S prior to coming here.  I bought through WIND, and they were not official iPhone supported network.  It took forever to get iMessage to work on that system with my phone number, however, my iCloud account worked fine.

@lat34hat34, current day Public Mobile SIMs are tri-punch units.  Mini, Micro, and Nano.

Been this way since at least late 2015 when I started testing things out here.

I should add to what I said earlier, the basic support for the device will be on Public Mobile (most likely).  It's all the 'extra' features that we don't get here, that you won't be able to use unless you switch to a 'supported' network.

I was on WIND with a 'gently-loved' iPhone 5S prior to coming here.  I bought through WIND, and they were not official iPhone supported network.  It took forever to get iMessage to work on that system with my phone number, however, my iCloud account worked fine.

Neptune3d

It's a nano sim, so the same size as all iPhones past the 4s, the only difference this time around is the eSim if you want to use dual sims, which, as far as I know PM doesn't support.

Besides, if it was the wrong size...there's always scissors! 🙂

lat34hat34

Since the three phones just came out and pre-orders start tomorrow, I'd say give it time. It will most likely work with PM as long as it's an unlocked phone (bought from the Apple store or from someone else). However, if their SIM card shape has changed, it may be a little bit of a wait until PM updates their SIM in order to fit every phone. However, I don't see that being the case. 🙂

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lanlin wrote:

PM is not on the list of Canadian service providers for the latest iphones? Strange.

Iphone xs canadian carriers

The bands / frequencies are compatible and it should work as long as the phone is unlocked. As @stonechucker has already mentioned because it supports telus / koodo and is the identical network it should work.

Neptune3d

If you follow that same page Apple iPhone Carrier List, you will see that public mobile is not listed anywhere on that page for any of the phones.  I have had on Public via myself or other people close to me, an iPhone 6s Plus, 6s, 7s, and an iPhone X, all work just fine, iMessage activates, facetime activates, etc, etc, etc.  Since you are running basically off of Telus, it works as expected.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Officially, probably not, however, Telus and Koodo are both listed, so I see no issue there.  Note, PC Mobile, closing in October is listed.  Someone isn't doing fact chequing 😉

Need Help? Let's chat.