cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P20 Pro update

ramsickle
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was wondering why my P20 Pro isn't getting the emui 9 update. Talked to Huawei and they started its already been made available for my device and that usually it's carrier relates so here I am. Has public mobile pushed the update like all other carriers or is there something I'm missing that's preventing the update to come through?

I don't have access to other providers sim cards to try and push an update through that way, I also don't have access to a computer to try and manually update with that method either, I'm stuck waiting for an OTA update.

8 REPLIES 8

ramsickle

Frequent updates are always nice, my LG used to be updated quite a bit but found despite liking their phones their update frequency started decreasing. I only have the internet to go off of but from what I see Huawei has been pretty good at getting updates out there, well pie is an example as still many phones lacking it however they have it on several.

All those debates out there on Huawei politically aside, they make great phones. Personally I'd go Huawei, LG, or Pixel devices as they're still decently made. This is the only thing frustrating me which doesn't seem to be a widespread issue so I cannot blame anything in particular for it.

Thanks again though, I do appreciate the attempts.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ramsickle wrote:

I appreciate your continued efforts to help with this issue. Unfortunately the P20 Pro does not have an SD Card slot, I see it mention the possibility of an adapter via usb but do not have any of those.

It's an amazing phone, this is the only frustrating thing I've had with it so far and wondering if there's just something odd going on that's not pushing the update to it.

Yes, I've heard a lot of people praising the phone. Sorry I couldn't be anymore help. I use a Pixel and get security updates on a monthly basis (March 05, 2019) so I'm kinda spoiled.

ramsickle

I appreciate your continued efforts to help with this issue. Unfortunately the P20 Pro does not have an SD Card slot, I see it mention the possibility of an adapter via usb but do not have any of those.

It's an amazing phone, this is the only frustrating thing I've had with it so far and wondering if there's just something odd going on that's not pushing the update to it.

sandpublic

Wow, I can understand your frustration. There is also a way to force it using a SD card described in the XDA forums that you might want to try. More info here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p20-pro/help/manual-update-root-unlocked-bootloader-t3836275

Hope this helps!

ramsickle

Thanks, I've read that article before. From what I've seen in my searches that was from January and I don't see many who do not have the update now in March, latest update I could find was mid February. My device is still sitting on September's build (one it uses right from factory reset).

When I was speaking with Huawei's customer support they took the SN of my device and ran that which is when they said the update to EMUI 9 is already available for my device. I'll keep waiting if there's no other solutions however can't find much on others not getting the update yet unless they've been silent.

Another method I tried was firmware finder however it states even eRecovery isn't supported by my EMUI build (8.1) so that failed, as well as the HiCare app not being available in Canada so that method is void as well.

ramsickle

I've tried everything from removing my sim card and using multiple different WiFi networks, to turning off over WiFi updates and looking on mobile data all without success. 

sandpublic

@ramsickle wrote:

I was wondering why my P20 Pro isn't getting the emui 9 update. Talked to Huawei and they started its already been made available for my device and that usually it's carrier relates so here I am. Has public mobile pushed the update like all other carriers or is there something I'm missing that's preventing the update to come through?

I don't have access to other providers sim cards to try and push an update through that way, I also don't have access to a computer to try and manually update with that method either, I'm stuck waiting for an OTA update.

My understanding is that the manufacturer pushes the OTA and not the carrier. Make sure your phone is not setup to do updates over WiFi only. If you have access to WiFi maybe try checking for the update when you are connected because sometimes the updates are large files so it would be the way to go.

Need Help? Let's chat.