cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing calls going to old provider voicemail

slavicazd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently transferred a number from Virgin my old provider. Activated my sim card yesterday but still I am unable to receive calls. Outgoing calls are fine. I have only signed up for talk no text. The phone Im using is a nokia 1020. I contacted Virgin and they say they have not received a request for line transfer, but I am suspicious that they do not want to diconnect the line because of a past invoice dispute. Any suggestions on how to proceed ? I was thinking worst case to just the the number.

11 REPLIES 11

savvy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@cavemantorontoThe exception to the unlock code rule is that they have to prove ownership, and if it's too old to prove, or they can't verify it, they don't have to and won't unlock it unfortunately.

Separately ports can be refused for a multitude of reasons, such as different customer name last on file.

@slavicazd wrote:

How do I submit a Mod request ?

So the orginal phone number was listed under an old LG flip phone I had with the old provider, purched through them and locked. The balance was fully paid off. The IMEI number I provided on registration was for the old LG phone. Could that be causing the problem, the fact that I am using the Nokia 1020 instead of the flip phone originally used with Virgin ?

I qas unable to unlock the old cell phone and Virgin refused to provide me with the unlock code, which is why I used the new phone.

Yes, that is likely the problem. You are supposed to use the current IMEI being used. Was the LG flip phone a Virgin Mobile phone? And if it is a Virgin phone and takes sim card, they can't refuse. They must give you the code.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@slavicazd wrote:

I recently transferred a number from Virgin my old provider. Activated my sim card yesterday but still I am unable to receive calls. Outgoing calls are fine. I have only signed up for talk no text. The phone Im using is a nokia 1020. I contacted Virgin and they say they have not received a request for line transfer, but I am suspicious that they do not want to diconnect the line because of a past invoice dispute. Any suggestions on how to proceed ? I was thinking worst case to just the the number.

Past invoice dispute means nothing if they adjusted the bill and you are current on payment. Check Virgin account number. As you did request yesterday, it should be done.  Have moderators try again.

@slavicazd wrote:

So the orginal phone number was listed under an old LG flip phone I had with the old provider, purched through them and locked. The balance was fully paid off. The IMEI number I provided on registration was for the old LG phone. Could that be causing the problem, the fact that I am using the Nokia 1020 instead of the flip phone originally used with Virgin ?

I qas unable to unlock the old cell phone and Virgin refused to provide me with the unlock code, which is why I used the new phone.

@slavicazd Best to use your Virgin account number instead of IMEI. Just contact the moderator team and provide the account number information from Virgin.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@slavicazd 

It is normal when you join a new cellular provider and request to port a number over, that you can immediately make calls (and receive texts if that's the plan you chose) but NOT receive calls or texts on your number - because it's still active with the provider you want to leave.  You never close that account, otherwise you risk losing your number. Your number and account must be active with your provider in order to port it to another company, in this case public mobile. 

In the meantime, you can still use your SIM with Virgin until the port is complete.  It usually takes a few hours to 24 hours for a port, but in certain cases it can be longer. It's dependant on your other provider releasing your phone number to public mobile. 

Did you place a request to port your number when you activated your Sim with public mobile?  When you log into your account online, does it show the phone number you want to port (it's assigned to you but isn't complete until Virgin releases your number to them).  You will recieve a text from public mobile once the port is succesfully completed. 

If by 24 hours, you have not received confirmation, here is the link to send a private message to a moderator, who will be able to assist you further with your port issue. Please note that it takes aproximately 48 -72 hours (2-3 days) to get a response.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Welcome to public mobile.  

PS Sign up for autopay and receive $2 off every month!! 

slavicazd

Thanks so much for the link and the help ! Will wait for MOD response.

savvy

@slavicazd  Using the new phone or not has nothing to do with it luckily. If you gave the IMEI for the correct phone that was on file at your old provider - assuming it was one you got on contract from them, and only moved the SIM card from that phone to the new one without changing the IMEI number, then you had correct information. However, in the event you bought it on prepaid instead of on contract then it may still not be on file. I can't really speak to the specifics of your situation, but in my past experience as a phone tech, it's always exclusively better to use the account number instead to guarantee the number. In that case the only thing left that could stop you is if you cancelled the account before moving the number or otherwise let it become inactive somehow before attempting the port request.

PS: to message the Moderators ... PM . They could shed more light on what's stopping it, but it doesn't hurt to gather your account number from your old provider in the meantime.

@slavicazdIt has nothing to do with locking of the phone. It has to do with whether Virgin is releasing your number to Public Mobile, you would need to contact them via this link.

slavicazd

savvy

Okay so either your Port-In request is still processing, or more likely some information is incorrect, causing this problem. If it's not resolved by tomorrow, submit a MOD request and check on the port status. This could be caused by IMEI not listed on file with the old provider, or incorrect account number or PIN. Which did you use? IMEI is the most common problem for stuck port requests, because if you didn't purchase your current phone from the old provider they will often not list your IMEI in the file and use a dummy IMEI instead.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like your Port is stuck... you will need to contact the Moderators to figure out what caused it to get stuck.

Need Help? Let's chat.