cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oneplus 8t

jrsmith007
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm looking at upgrading to the Oneplus 8t but I can't seem to find any info to determine if it is an accepted device.  Does anyone know?  Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

ppollock
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PM has been excellent.  That Lenovo would make make a great door stop.  Great phone unless you need to make calls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ppollock : Ah. It was feeling like you were headed towards this place being at fault. It does sound a lot like the phone itself. Maybe antenna?

ppollock

Hmm I sent a response but it appears to have not gone through, sorry if it does a double post.

By connectivity I am referring to the ability to maintain a cell call.  I have been using a program network cell lite and it is shocking how often the signal is red or absent.

I have tried setting the phone to 3g only, tried reset, tried different sim cards.  I did purchase a wilson booster for home and the phone will only keep on the network if I sit right in front of the antenna.

Our old xiamoni M A1 never drop calls but this phone is terrible and I dont want to go through that again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ppollock wrote:

I currently have a lenovo pro z6 and it works terrible with PM mostly bc of its lack of connectivity.  I just assumed all phones would have max ability to connect on all bands available. 

Phones can operate on many different bands. Public Mobile does voice/text/data on 3G 2 and 5 and also text/data on several 4G bands. That Lenovo appears to be fine for PM. I was gonna ask if you were in MB somewhere but no you're in AB somewhere.

Not sure what you mean by connectivity. The phone seems fine.

ppollock

I currently have a lenovo pro z6 and it works terrible with PM mostly bc of its lack of connectivity.  I just assumed all phones would have max ability to connect on all bands available.  I was very disappointed to find out that was not true.  The phone is awesome but for basic functions its useless.  I am afraid that may happen again with the 8T.

The research I keep coming across is specifically the 8T model and lots of dropped calls and loss of signal only fixed with rebooting.  I am guessing it more of a software issue but curious if anyone on PM has tried them, more specifically in central AB.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/8t-losing-network-only-returns-after-phone-reset.1342897/?fbclid=...

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-8t-randomly-losing-signal-network-4g-5g.1346538/?fbclid=I...

I have used a OnePlus 3 and 6T with PM and haven't had any issues.  OnePlus phones are usually pretty reliable.

ppollock

Curious how the 8t has been hold up with connectivity.  I am considering this phone but keep reading how some have nothing but trouble with it.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jrsmith007 , it might be easier for you to use the supported bands on the network to cross reference againsts the bands on phones you shopping for to confirm compatibility.  It seems like the compatibility checker is falling behind.  BTW, if you are interested in the OnePlus like, B&H has the 7T model on sale at the moment.  It was as low as $300 USD during black Friday.  Price has gone up $30 USD since but still a pretty good deal.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@jrsmith007 Yes, a good phone, and it works with PM. One of my referral friends is using it.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

For further info on phone compatibility, check this out:

Where to buy a compatible phone (publicmobile.ca)

@jrsmith007 wrote:

I'm looking at upgrading to the Oneplus 8t but I can't seem to find any info to determine if it is an accepted device.  Does anyone know?  Thanks

@jrsmith007 

Yes, it's compatible.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It is compatible with PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.