cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnePlus 3T on the Public Mobile Network

yo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just wanted to make a quick post to show that the OnePlus 3T should have no issues connecting to the Public Mobile Network Smiley Happy

Public Mobile

For 3G use (UMTS/HSPA): 850MHz/1900MHz bands

For 4G/LTE use: 1700MHz/2100MHz bands

For 4G/LTE use: 700 MHz band

Source

OnePlus 3T

1.PNG

Source

28 REPLIES 28

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Quantum based on what I saw on the OnePlus forums, it looked like many people had the APN issue--I fully expected to have it, too.  I'm not sure what's different.  Oh well, at least the info is out here for folks that need it!  Thanks for sharing it!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Quantum

@srlawren, my OP3T update was the official over the air version. I didn't side load any of the beta releases prior. It was kind of weird how the APN disappeared. Also, I didn't realize that PM was already on Advanced LTE which was why I thought 4G+ is just LTE.

srlawren

@Quantum weirdly, I updated my OP3 (not OP3T) from OxygenOS 3.2.1 to 4.0 tonight and don't seem to have this issue--the phone just instantly recognized the PM SIM card and connected as normal.  

Out of curiosity, were you previously on the out of the box 3.5.3 version on your 3T, or had you updated to a newer beta before going to 4.0?  Did you do an OTA update, or sideload via ADB, or factory wipe and then sideload?  I'm just curious.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@Quantum since the 3T shipped on 3.5.3 and I never tried the 3.5.x builds on my 3, I can't confirm if the 3T has always shown "4G" or "LTE" for regular LTE, but "4G+" mean LTE-Advanced, a faster version of LTE.  LTE would show as either 4G or LTE on 3.5.3 out of the box, and will show as simply "4G" once you update to OxygenOS 4.0.

Quantum
On my OP3T, it shows "4G+" if you're on LTE.

moomoocow
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks a lotSmiley LOL

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@moomoocow, I can't speak for the OP3 or OP3T, but on my OP2 it recently changed from "LTE" to "4G" with the OxygenOS update. 4G is LTE - and I haven't noticed any change in LTE speeds, just a different label. With the Chinese variant you may run into issues in more rural areas where different LTE bands are used - for downtown and high density areas, you'll probably not notice an issue.

moomoocow

it shows '2g/3g/4g(automatic)'; is it becoz i bought it from china? i got chinese version

srlawren

@Korth the 3T came with a Marshmallow (Android 6.0.1) based OxygenOS 3.5.3 out of the box, and that version along with all previous versions on the OP3 all detected the APN info just fine with zero intervention required.  OnePlus just release OxygenOS 4.0 based on Android 7.0 Nougat late New Year's Eve, and after updating, users now need to manually configure their APN to get data working again.  This is a very annoying bug but it's not just affecting Public Mobile, I've seen users from Fido and Rogers on the OnePlus forums complianing about it, too.  Hopefully they address it in a future 4.0.x build, but in the meantime, manual intervetion is required.

Geoff
All fixed now thanks

One of my friends uses a OnePlus 3T on Public Mobile.  No issues with the network, calling, texting, or data.  It runs OxygenOS, a variant of Android 7.x "Nougat", which is semi-proprietary - all the software bundled on this phone is optimized for this phone's hardware and runs most excellently, but it doesn't always play nice with generic Android-N apps.  The open Android market tends to place more emphasis on multi-device compatibility than on specific-device optimization, so don't expect to find any more truly awesome software for this phone unless it comes from OnePlus.

Quantum

@Geoff, this happened to me too when I updated to Nougat on my Oneplus 3T. For some reason the update deleted the APN. You just have to add the Public Mobile APN with the information as shown below by going to Settings>SIM & network>SIM 1>Access point names. Becareful with autocorrect. If autocorrect added a space somewhere, it may not work. You can't just edit the APN if you saved it with a space, at least it didn't work for me. You would need to delete the APN and start again.

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: Leave blank

Geoff
My data not working on 1plus 3t since yesterday download to nougat can you help please

srlawren

@moomoocow Go to settings, Cellular Networks, Preferred Network Type.  Is it set to "3G" instead of "LTE (recommended)"?  

Rockdaddy22
What kind of speeds are you getting?

moomoocow

My oneplus 3t only works on 4g, Im in toronto, is there anyone know why? thanks

fireapple
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@ruvion I'm in Calgary (where Telus deploys and maintains cell equipment) but those speeds sound about right to me as well. I find that I am also on band 2 quite a bit but sometimes I'll be on either band 4 or 7. When I'm in a weak signal area I can be on band 5 as well.

Tests showing the OnePlus 3T owning the new Pixel phones

iSilenT
I rather keep it at 20-25, you don't want it too fast cuz it eats up ur data!

ruvion
I took a stroll in downtown the other day and found that i am always on band 2.
I cant get past 20-25 mbps download speed. Is this normal for you guys as well?

srlawren

@ruvion interesting.  You're probably on Bell towers, so maybe it just happens that band 2 is more prevalent in North York.  I wouldn't worry about it though, as long as you're getting a consistent signal and sufficient speed.

ruvion
My last post got eaten up. 🙂

Im in North York and almost never in the downtown core.

srlawren

@ruvion where abouts are you located in the country?  Also, are you usually in a downtown core?

@ruvion wrote:

Hi
my Oneplus 3T seems to be locked to LTE band 2.

Is this normal?
Is it supposed to swtich bands around for optimal performance?

I'm in Toronto, and while I don't have a OnePlus 3T, I've found that my phone is almost always on Band 2 for LTE.  Rarely am I ever on Band 4, at least in my home area.  I do sometimes connect to some LTE towers that the an app called LTE Discovery that are of a band that the program can't identify, but those are likely Bands 7 and 17.  I wouldn't worry about it.  I have a feeling that where you are, Band 2 might be the most used or has the strongest signal

ruvion

Hi
my Oneplus 3T seems to be locked to LTE band 2.

Is this normal?
Is it supposed to swtich bands around for optimal performance?

iSilenT
Oneplus phones have almost all bands,should have no issues with any carriers

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hmmm think I'll wait for 1+4...minor processor upgrade and narcissus selfie camera.

Anyone getting this phone for use on Public Mobile will want the North American variant. 

The Global variant lacks LTE Band 2, LTE Band 4, and LTE Band 17, all of which are used in Canada, and thus, The LTE experience wouldn't be very good.

Need Help? Let's chat.