cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTA Android Updates

Brendanlq
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I struggle with this one, perhaps some can explain the logic to me. Google releases a new Android version, phone manufacturers take the update, modify it for their specific hardware and then send it OTA via carriers to peoples phones.

Phones like the Pixel and the Essential get there updates same day, which is why I bought an Essential phone.

However Telus / Koodo / Public Mobile take it upon themselves to QA this update? Literally a company that doesn't show tax on the statement or have a downloadable monthly invoice is QAing the code from Google & device manufacturers???

Why does it take so long? I honestly grab friends Sim cards and pop them into my phone when I can, to avoid this issue.

3 REPLIES 3

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

No logic to this other than the golden rule which is he who has the gold makes the rules.  Telus paid big bucks to be the exclusive retailer for the essential phone in Canada.  They reserve the right to butcher the ROM as they see fit before letting it go.  The fact that they don't doesn't remove their right to do so.  

@srlawren wrote:

@ShawnC13 did your Essential get the Android 10 update?  Just curious.

It came out but I would have to do a sim swap as true didn't release it to us right away

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 did your Essential get the Android 10 update?  Just curious.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.