cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving some text messages

Jlow79
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been having issues with receiving some text messages.  Some don't show up at all, others show up hours later.  This has been happening consistently for several months.  I purchased a new phone (iphone XR) in hopes that it would solve the problem, but the problem continues.

Just yesterday, I confirmed a message was sent to me, but was not received on my phone.

Also, my phone is constantly saying it is on 3G, but I have a plan where it should have 4G/LTE capability.  The plan features does NOT list being limited to the 3G network.  My old iphone 6 worked on LTE.

Please help!  🙂

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Jlow79 

a) 3G will be selected autonatically when LTE is weak IF you have LTE enabled under Celluar data options. If not the phone will always be on 3G. 

b) There has been a spate recently of users mentioning late/missing texts. All you can do is ensure you have the correct setup: Settings >> Messgages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive: should show your PM phone number and your Apple ID email

c) Normally when a new phone is initialized cellular data network is automatically updated. To be certain, go to Settings >> General >> About: if a carrier update is offered install it.

d) When you have trouble sending or receiving SMS, it's possible that a ”force" change of your SMS settings may solve the issue.  

• Go to Settings

• Then go to Mobile networks and select a network other than Public Mobile, Telus, or Koodo

• When you exit the menu the phone should lose the network.

• Repeat the process and select Public Mobile as your mobile network.

This procedure will force the update of the message centre number. You can verify it in your message settings.

e) Here's a general article on SMS delay issues: https://help.nexmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/204014893-What-Causes-a-Delay-in-Delivering-SMS-Messages-

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jlow79 

iMessage has its own text message protocol and send using mobile data or wifi.  But regular text messages are piggybacked on the cellular voice channel.  You can communicate with your friends using iPhone and no communication with your friends using Android.

You need to configure iMessage to send/receive text message using the cellular voice channel.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Best to contact a moderator with this issue. No mention of any issues with calling or data, so the phone is fine. Try a network reset.

iamcdn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Does it work when you try to send a message to yourself?

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Jlow79 In order to receive or send iMessages, you must have mobile data or wifi enabled.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jlow79  Sounds like the issues you are experiencing are related to iMessage. Try disabling iMessage and see if you can receive the missing texts via SMS.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Jlow79 

Try adding $1 to your account and then restart your phone. This trick can reprovision your account.

If problem persists, you can contact Moderators for help.

To submit a ticket to Moderators: Click the green question mark at bottom and enter your question into SIMon. Answer the prompts until you get to the Contact Us button, click it and a Submit Ticket button should appear.

If you encounter problems with submitting a ticket, you can send a private message to Moderators, but this alternate contact method may have longer response time.

Need Help? Let's chat.