cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Recieving Texts from certain Contacts, but Husband with same plan and similar phone is

nKerbs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Everyone,

I have a Pixel 4a. Recently I noticed that if I didn't have data or wifi on I wouldn't recieve texts from a few of my contacts. I turned off the chat feature, made sure texts were sending via SMS. I did run out of Data so I purchased more but they still aren't coming through. My husband who has a Pixel 3a and the same plans as me on Public mobile can send and recieve texts from the same contacts just fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

nKerbs

Thanks @softech  and @esjliv I will try that later tonight on a Zoom call with Cynthia and see if it works!

@nKerbs 

Turn chat features on or off
  1. On your device, open Messages .
  2. At the top right, tap More. Settings.
  3. Tap Chat features.
  4. Toggle "Enable chat features" on or off.

@nKerbs  this is how to confirm sending via SMS

On Android (RCS)

On the Messaging app,
tap 3 little dots top right, click Settings
under Chat settings, scroll to "Select default messaging type",
Switch from Automatic  to  Text/multimedia msg

nKerbs

@esjliv I think you are on to something, I didn't at first but when I looked on my messanger app I noticed that before things stopped working Cynthia's messages says "Chatting with Cynthia" above them, my messages say "Texting with Cynthia (SMS/MMS)" above them. (see image below).  The last text message I recieved (from Cynthia) was Saturday at 5:28pm, since then I can send but get nothing back.

Chat Example.jpg

This also might be relevant...Saturday at 12:11 pm I got a text from Public Mobile that my data was used up. Last night I purchased a 1G Data add on (I thought I had purchased this add-on a few days ago but I mistakenly had only approved money to be added to my account and had not spent it yet). This additional data has not affected receiving texts as of yet.

I will ask my two contacts that I can't recieve texts from about their phone settings. Is there a link to a website that explains how to check this setting? Maybe I'll just Google it 🙂

nKerbs

Tried this but no beuno.

I think it may be related to @esjliv 's suggestion.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@nKerbs wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have a Pixel 4a. Recently I noticed that if I didn't have data or wifi on I wouldn't recieve texts from a few of my contacts. I turned off the chat feature, made sure texts were sending via SMS. I did run out of Data so I purchased more but they still aren't coming through. My husband who has a Pixel 3a and the same plans as me on Public mobile can send and recieve texts from the same contacts just fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

@nKerbs try a Reset of your Network Settings.

And, ensure that Chat Feature is DISABLED. Do the people that you do not receive texts from also have Chat Feature turned on? This can affect both ways, if so.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@nKerbs , can you try clearing the cache on the text app, force close the app, reboot the phone and try again.  Maybe the app is still stuck on the chat feature and a little reset is needed to get it to function on basic SMS protocol instead of RCS.  

Need Help? Let's chat.