cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Not Receiving Text Messages

Hello,

Over the last month or so I have not been receiving all text messages. I've checked the APN settings, and rebooted my phone. I have not been roaming in the USA or added any packages anytime recently. It's a Samsung S7 using the Android Messages sms app.

This is obviously a big concern as friends thought I was ignoring them, ill family memebrs sending me messages and me not being aware,etc..

If I send them a message, then I will receive their replies, but Inever get their backlog of messages. 

I'm not really sure what to do next.

Mayor / Maire

Re: Not Receiving Text Messages

I went through a period with the android messages app where I woudlnt receive any messages. or even send messages

I had to use another messaging app. I used the "stock" app from my phone. Uninstall the android messages app, and re-install it. 

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't have an answer for you but perhaps try using a different SMS app and see if the problem still occurs.

Another thing to try would be putting your SIM into another (unlocked of course) phone and trying that for a bit.

Do the people whose messages you are not receiving have anything in common, like the same carrier?

Wow. Strange series of occurences indeed. 

Now I'm getting paranoid about this too. 

Mayor / Maire

As the U.S. roaming bug was mentioned, at least we know that's not the case for you. On a side note, there is zero need to ever check APN settings for text messaging problems.  APN settings actually have nothing do with text messaging. 

The setting that controls text messaging is the SMSC.  This setting be incorrectly configured will prevent you from being able to send any text messages.  However, note that even if this setting is wrong, you should still be able to receive text messages. Since you are able to send messages, your SMSC is set fine.

This has to be either a software issue or a problem specific to your account.

Any update on this, @stef?

No update yet. I uninstalled my messaging app and reinstalled it. I dont really know if it's working or not unless someone tells me they sent me a message by some other means which makes this frustrating, especially since it's intermittent.

I don't have another phone to try.

As far as similarities, I'm not sure. Some use iPhones, some use Android so the OS doesn't seem to be the culprit. I don't know all their carriers though.

That IS frustrating!

Do you have anyone you can ask to send you a text every hour or so?

Also, I'd try "Textra" instead of your current messaging app since you are using Android.

I have read about some others (on other carriers) who are also having the same problems with the stock Android Messaging app - in some cases, especially after updating to Nougat, they are actually getting the messages but the app isn't displaying nor notifying for some reason. So give Textra a shot, it might even show the missing messages. Can't hurt at this point. Smiley Happy

Mayor / Maire

koimr1 wrote:

That IS frustrating!

Do you have anyone you can ask to send you a text every hour or so?

Also, I'd try "Textra" instead of your current messaging app since you are using Android.

I have read about some others (on other carriers) who are also having the same problems with the stock Android Messaging app - in some cases, especially after updating to Nougat, they are actually getting the messages but the app isn't displaying nor notifying for some reason. So give Textra a shot, it might even show the missing messages. Can't hurt at this point. Smiley Happy

My phone did a small software update ( it already had Nougat before this update. After that update, i noticed my messages didnt send, and I wouldnt receive messages. I had to use the messaging app that came with my phone (so the stock OEM app), unisntall/reinstall the android messages app, make it my default app and everything worked after that.