cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-punched Micro SIM

errational
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone's SIM slot has a broken PIN and the 3-in-1 PM SIM doesn't reach down to the broken PIN. My old Fido micro SIM was only the 1 size (micro) and it did work because the contacts reached the broken PIN.

Is there any way to get a PM micro SIM that is not a 3-in-1?

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jclaydon2018 as long as you didn't snap or warp the adapter when pushing the nano SIM out of it, you should be able to push it back in after retrieving it from your phone.  Be very careful in that extraction--I've ruined a phone's SIM slot one time doing this, making it unusable for cellular use.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jclaydon2018
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you got the 3 punch card and accidentally punched the smallest size when you need the middle one, can you put it back into the adapter or do i have to order a new one.

Of course, i will have to get the nano out of my phone first..  wish me luck lol

I know that many people prefer these triple punched sim cards because they allow for easy switching to phones that use different size sim cards.  It really is a convenience thing for the customer, as well as for Public Mobile because they only need to carry one type of sim card.

However, there are disadvatages for these multi-sized universal sim cards. 

For the OP, he/she finds that since the sim card slot in the phone is slightly damaged, it is more tolerant to how the true micro sim cards are manufacturered (ie. usually larger electrical contact size compared to nano).

Also, I personally find that that the single-sized sim cards are a better fit in many phones.The possible extra possible bumps and ridges along the cutouts can actually cause the sim card to get jammed in the slot.  The smaller sizes do also sometimes get loose and fall out of the larger sized cut-out unexpectedly.  It can be more of problem especially on phones that use a tray that gets ejected, with such a sim card jamming would mean that you'd likely have to disssemble the phone.  I'll admit those situations aren't that common but it does happen.  Those types of things are the exact reasont that some phone manufacturers use to warn again using sim card adapters, and some even go as far as saying that if one of these gets stuck in your sim card tray, you warranty is voided.

Using a sim card that is cut only to one size is less problematic.  But we'll likely never go back to those days because of the convienience of one-size-fits-all.

psmching
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Thanks for the reply.
What do you mean that I will get a sim adapter included if I buy 3-1 sim? Do you just mean I don't have to buy adapter?
I'm changing from nano sim to micro sim.

ajanda
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@psmching https://www.amazon.ca/OnlineBestDigital-Adaptor-standard-Adapter-Iphone/dp/5891122952/ref=sr_1_2?ie=...

Its kind of cheaper then the a new sim card Smiley Very Happy but not by much. It will probably be better to buy the new sim cards that PM gives which are a 3-1 SIM. You will get a sim adapter included that way.

psmching
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Any suggestions on where to buy SIM adapter? I hope it's cheaper than a new SIM card.

errational
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That's all the 3-in-1 is already... I tried another one I had laying around (for Roam Mobility) and it has the same issue. I think the problem is that the contacts on the nano SIM as so small it doesn't reach the broken PIN, whereas a "full-size" micro SIM would.

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

you could get a SIM adapter? I have a nano sim adapter that turns it into a micro

Need Help? Let's chat.