cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 8110 4G Compatibility?

arichmond
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm thinking of buying a Nokia 8110 4G (2018) Single-SIM 4GB TA-1071 SS Factory Unlocked 4G Smartphone from Amazon. Can anyone tell me if it'll work on Public Mobile? 

Here is some Network Compatibility info for it: 2G GSM 900 / 1800 and/or 3G 850(B5) / 900(B8) / 2100(B1) and/or 4G LTE 800(B20) / 850(B5) / 900(B8) / 1800(B3) / 2100(B1) / 2600(B7)

Here's a link to the Amazon page: https://www.amazon.ca/Nokia-Single-SIM-TA-1071-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B07FY7HRHF/ref=sr_1_1?s=electr...

Much Thanks!!!

10 REPLIES 10

fabianp

Hi,

Yes, it works. I have the the double-SIM version (TA-1048 DS) and it works perfectly on PM network in Canada.

I also had no issues to make it work with the network operators in Europe or South America.

I'm very satisfied with the Nokia 8110 4G

mkoosting
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Bit of an old post but I did some research into the same thing so I thought I'd share. The 8110 4G will not work reliably with Public Mobile, which uses UMTS Band 2 as its primary 3G frequency, and LTE Band 4 as its primary 4G frequency. The only band the phone has which PM supports is 3G & LTE Band 5, which PM uses only for secondary/extended service in primary service areas... you'd likely get no reception outside a major city.

As for other carriers it's mostly the same story, however, it does support Rogers 2G bands which still work for call/SMS... but who knows how long Rogers is going to bother maintaining those. And, it does support LTE Band 7 which Freedom Mobile uses as its primary LTE band. If you could get VoLTE enabled on this phone by Freedom Mobile (and that's a big if, even though the phone is VoLTE capable), it should work on their network for call, text, and SMS. Hope this helps.

@will13am, I'm sure the information they're posting is just sent to them by the vendor/retailer/agent thereof, and it's just put there.

I find so many grammar and spelling mistakes (other than US vs. Canadian English), it should be better.

@srlawren wrote:

@slash407 wrote:

its a crapshoot asking people at forums. Thats the real answer. Bcuz apparantly even the site isn't accurate. Since its a nokia, my guess is that it would. People could talk about bands but again. Things get in the way

@slash407 actually, as long as we get the full model number and can locate accurate specs, the community is pretty good at helping here.  This one is pretty cut and dry since it's missing B2 (1900MHz) 3G frequency as well as most of the LTE frequencies PM uses.  This is a poor choice for use with PM.  That said, there's always the chance that the Amazon listing is inaccurate, but why would someone want to make that gamble?  

Amazon has the worst product detail of any top retailer.  It amazes me how little information they supply on the products that they sell.  I guess the picture of the product is worth 1000 words. 

@popping wrote:

@arichmond

Telus and Bell are sharing the same network/towers.  Any phone sold by Telus/Koodo/Bell/Virgin will work with PM.

Edit:  If you want to check other phones, check the phone which you are interested in against the following frequenies used by PM/Telus/Koodo :

Public Mobile utilizes the following frequency bands:

4G LTE and LTE Advanced

700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS)

3G HSPA

850 MHz
1900 MHz (UMTS)

With LTE frequency is only half the story.  Within some frequencies such as 700 Mhz, there are further divisions into bands.  Including band numbers if available provides the complete picture.  I believe this wiki is accurate.  Anyway, for simplicity, I always suggest people look for band 4 LTE.  If you got that, you are covered in 95% of the LTE region in this country.  Because band 4 is a North America centric band, it will guarantee 3G compatibility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

its a crapshoot asking people at forums. Thats the real answer. Bcuz apparantly even the site isn't accurate. Since its a nokia, my guess is that it would. People could talk about bands but again. Things get in the way

@slash407 actually, as long as we get the full model number and can locate accurate specs, the community is pretty good at helping here.  This one is pretty cut and dry since it's missing B2 (1900MHz) 3G frequency as well as most of the LTE frequencies PM uses.  This is a poor choice for use with PM.  That said, there's always the chance that the Amazon listing is inaccurate, but why would someone want to make that gamble?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@arichmond

Telus and Bell are sharing the same network/towers.  Any phone sold by Telus/Koodo/Bell/Virgin will work with PM.

Edit:  If you want to check other phones, check the phone which you are interested in against the following frequenies used by PM/Telus/Koodo :

Public Mobile utilizes the following frequency bands:

4G LTE and LTE Advanced

700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS)

3G HSPA

850 MHz
1900 MHz (UMTS)

@arichmond wrote:

Thanks! That's kind of what I suspected. But I'm not that savvy when it comes to cellular jargon.  Appreciate the help!

@arichmondNo problem.

If you are looking for a phone, did you see the deal posted by @will13am ? https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/phone-option/m-p/313671#M706

bhp not only ships free to Canada, but they currently have a $25 off coupon bringing the total to $187usd/$248cad after taxes/discount/shipping/duty for a Moto X4 32GB Black (Back-Ordered but Expected availability: Jan 14, 2019)

The nokia you speak of is $289+tax. It has 0.5gb ram and 4gb storage. A terrible deal imo. (Actually, the worst deal I have ever seen specifications for $$) The motorolla has 8 times the storage and 8 times the memory (ram) and uses only a dual core with snap dragon 205. The specs on that nokia represent a $29 disposable phone

arichmond

Thanks! That's kind of what I suspected. But I'm not that savvy when it comes to cellular jargon.  Appreciate the help!

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@arichmondHey there, have you seen this page?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility#Radio_frequency_summary

If the amazon page is right, its missing 3G 1900mhz ?

4G IT has B20/B5/B8/B3/B1/B7 (But PM only uses B5/B7 of those as "extra bandwidth" or in "select markets") ... its missing B4/B2/12/13/17/29.

So the only bands it supports are 3G B5 and 4G/LTE B5+B7... That does not look good.

Wiki says "Band 4 Main LTE Band used across the country. Also being used to provide LTE Advanced coverage. "  Missing band 4 as per wiki doesn't sound good. I am not a network expert, but I would stay away unless someone else can shed some light on this.

Willmyphonework says it will not work

no.png

Need Help? Let's chat.