cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No signal

canuckamuk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have not had a signal since Tuesday. The weather is clear, and I have no issues with the wifi, but have no signal at all for calls. This is getting annoying. It works fine elsewhere, but at home I have nothing. It kind of negates the purpose of having a phone if nobody can call me and I can't call anybody. Help.

28 REPLIES 28

dumbdobie1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good information thank you 🙂

@Drcream02 wrote:

How do I edit my post to remove my personal info.

@Drcream02

Screenshot_2019-01-13-Taxes-not-added-in-payment-history-.jpg

As mentioned above: Click on the three dots on the upper right corner of the post you want to edit. The drop down menue will give you the option to "Edti Reply" right on top.

Drcream02

How do I edit my post to remove my personal info.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Drcream02

3 dots..upper right corner of your original post..hit edit....

Drcream02

Carld123

@Drcream02 wrote:

My phone keeps saying I have no network.email.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

@Drcream02

Edit your post..remove personal details...

Drcream02

My phone keeps saying I have no network.

canuckamuk

I've tried the reboot, I tried the lost/found thing on the site. Neither worked. It may be an old phone, but it's a 3G network so it shouldn't be an issue, considering it was working fine until this happened. I don't want to go and sign up with a carrier to get a new phone as it will be double the money I have to shell out every month and require a  2 year contract. Living out in the country, as I do,should not be relevant as the problem didn't exist until a few months into using Public Mobile. I didn't move. It worked, now it doesn't. This is all very frustrating.

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Tav wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

If your Amaze is a North American variant device, it will fully work at Public Mobile, assuming that you have already had it unlocked.  You won't be able to use the faster LTE network, but if you're on a Public Mobile plan that is advertised as having 3g data, you might actually get faster data speeds because of this.

Why is this? I have an older Moto G (2nd gen) that is 3G only and I have a 3G plan. Does this mean if I upgrade to a LTE phone (Moto G6 play for example) and use it on my current 3G plan that I will notice a drop in speeds between the devices?

The speed restrictions imposed on the 3g data plans at Public Mobile are only done so if you are connected to the LTE network.  There is no speed restriction presently set up on the 3g network, a network which is capble of speeds faster than the advertised 3Mbps included with the plan.

Neat! I am tempted to do a speed test but it usually racks up a decent amount of data usage. Perhaps I will give it a try closer to my renewal if I have any of my 1.5gb left.

@Tav wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

If your Amaze is a North American variant device, it will fully work at Public Mobile, assuming that you have already had it unlocked.  You won't be able to use the faster LTE network, but if you're on a Public Mobile plan that is advertised as having 3g data, you might actually get faster data speeds because of this.

Why is this? I have an older Moto G (2nd gen) that is 3G only and I have a 3G plan. Does this mean if I upgrade to a LTE phone (Moto G6 play for example) and use it on my current 3G plan that I will notice a drop in speeds between the devices?

The speed restrictions imposed on the 3g data plans at Public Mobile are only done so if you are connected to the LTE network.  There is no speed restriction presently set up on the 3g network, a network which is capble of speeds faster than the advertised 3Mbps included with the plan.

Tav

@computergeek541 wrote:

As for the HTC Amaze, @sheytoon is right about it not supporting LTE.  I had this phone before.

There very well could be different variants of this device around the world.  I can't remember the exact model/variant/version number since it was so long ago that I had one of these, but I can tell you that the HTC Amaze/HTC Amaze 4g devices sold officially by HTC for use in Canada and the U.S. all had identical hardware. This includes HTC Amaze devices sold by Wind Mobile, Telus, T-Mobile (u.s.), and Mobilicity.

The North American variant of HTC Amaze supports quad 2g GSM, and the following 3g frequencies:  850 (band 5), 1900 (2), and 1700 MHz (4).  All 3 worked no matter which carrier you got the device from.

I wouldn't even consider the battery to be the main issue with an HTC Amaze.  The battery is user replaceable, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a new one, or if you can only find used ones, they'd only be a few dollars.  Going through a few used batteries should be able to land you with one that hasn't be through too many charge cycles (not eveyrone charges the phone up multiple times a day and some of these batteries may have outlive the phone itself).

The main issue I would say with the HTC Amaze is the Android 4.0.4 software.  Some/much of the available apps aren't going to work with it.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@canuckamuk wow that is a very old phone, sold in Q4 of 2011, more than 7 years ago, and with a 1,730mAh battery...does it still hold a charge? Can you go more than an hour or 2 away from a charger?

The lack or 850MHz 3G support would definitely contribute to reception issues .since you said it started spontaneously after working fine in the same spot before, it's hard to say. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

canuckamuk

@Tav wrote:

I was gonna suggest picking up a cell phone signal booster but after some googling it would be a cheaper/better option to just get a new phone if the phone is having signal issues.

I looked into that, and yeah, those things are very expensive, with no guarentees that it would work. I thought about trying the ones designed to boost the signal for a car as they are very cheap, but given the difference in price between that and the ones for a home, I suspect they don't do anything other than make your car look like you have a car phone from the 80s.

canuckamuk

@sheytoon wrote:

HTC Amaze 4G seems to be a 3G-only phone (despite the name). Official specs are hard to find, but it's possible that your version supports 1900 MHz (band 2), but not 850 MHz (band 5).

If that's the case, it would explain why you're having issues at cell edge and your neighbour is not.

Try @srlawren's suggestion and use your SIM in a modern phone.

Lastly, Wi-Fi is completely unrelated, so please keep that as a separate item for discussion.

I only mentioned the wifi and texts to say that I am having no other issues other than a signal.

HTC Amaze 4G seems to be a 3G-only phone (despite the name). Official specs are hard to find, but it's possible that your version supports 1900 MHz (band 2), but not 850 MHz (band 5).

If that's the case, it would explain why you're having issues at cell edge and your neighbour is not.

Try @srlawren's suggestion and use your SIM in a modern phone.

Lastly, Wi-Fi is completely unrelated, so please keep that as a separate item for discussion.

Tav

I was gonna suggest picking up a cell phone signal booster but after some googling it would be a cheaper/better option to just get a new phone if the phone is having signal issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@canuckamuk wrote:

Just as a side note. I have had no other issues. I can still send and receive texts, and my wifi signal is fine (though it was not able to sign in to a free wifi signal at a coffee shop even though the phone knew it was there.)

That old HTC is barely compatible with Public Mobile. Maybe towers in your area don't have great coverage in 1900 3G frequencies. Maybe it's weak enough that it doesn't get into your house very well. You could probably wander around and find a sweet spot somewhere or by a window.

Make sure you stick with 3G connections and not trying to do LTE (if it has it).

canuckamuk

Just as a side note. I have had no other issues. I can still send and receive texts, and my wifi signal is fine (though it was not able to sign in to a free wifi signal at a coffee shop even though the phone knew it was there.)

canuckamuk

@srlawren wrote:

@canuckamuk still trying to understand.  

1) how long have you been a public mobile customer?  was everything fine with public mobile prior to that Tuesday a few weeks ago and now you get no signal at home?  OR, if you just signed up with Public Mobile that day, whom were you with previously where you had no trouble at home?

2) your neighbour--are they also with Public Mobile?  If not, whom are they with? 

3) What brand and model of phone are you using?  What about your neighbour?

4) Did you happen to try temporarily putting your SIM card in your neighbour's phone (while in your house), and/or putting their SIM card in your phone?  What happened when you tried this?  If you haven't tried this, would it be possible that you try this and report back?

I have been with Public Mobile for a few months now, and had no problems until this one.

My Neighbor is with Bell.

He was using an older IPhone (I think it was a 5), I'm on an old HTC Amaze 4g (the phone was free, who turns down a free phone? 🙂  ).

I didn't put the sim card in his phone, no.

srlawren

@canuckamuk still trying to understand.  

1) how long have you been a public mobile customer?  was everything fine with public mobile prior to that Tuesday a few weeks ago and now you get no signal at home?  OR, if you just signed up with Public Mobile that day, whom were you with previously where you had no trouble at home?

2) your neighbour--are they also with Public Mobile?  If not, whom are they with? 

3) What brand and model of phone are you using?  What about your neighbour?

4) Did you happen to try temporarily putting your SIM card in your neighbour's phone (while in your house), and/or putting their SIM card in your phone?  What happened when you tried this?  If you haven't tried this, would it be possible that you try this and report back?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

canuckamuk

Hello folks,

Thanks for all the tips. I was away for a couple of weeks, but the issue still exists. I have no signal at home, but I have a signal EVERYWHERE else. My neighbour has no problem getting a signal at my place, so the signal itself is coming in. For some reason it just does not come to my phone. So, I can get a signal everywhere but at home where I need it most. I have tried doing a factory reset, which did nothing but delete all my photos and contacts. I just reloaded my account, so this is basically the last chance Public Mobile has or I move on to another company.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@canuckamuk Check the coverage map for your area: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

Some areas are better served by Rogers.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren

@canuckamuk wrote:

yes

@canuckamuk assuming this is your answer about you tried rebooting and it didn't help.  What does your Account Status show when you sign into your self serve account?  Is it Active or Suspended?

You may want to try the lost-then-found trick (as @Anonymous) noted and/or the $1 top-up trick to get things working again.  More info on those here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/SOLUTION-My-plan-has-enough-funds-but-will-not-renew-or-re/m-p/284552/highlight/true#M20518.  If that doesn't work, you will want to reach out to the moderator team for support.  Here is how:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Get-Help/ta-p/251745

canuckamuk

yes

srlawren

@canuckamuk please excuse me if this sounds like a dumb question, but have you tried rebooting your phone?  Weird/sudden behaviour like this can often be resolved by a simple reboot, particularly if you don't make a habit of doing it regularly.  [I reboot mine at least once a week, to proactively try to avoid these types of gremlins.]

Anonymous
Not applicable

@canuckamuk wrote:

Hello,

I have not had a signal since Tuesday. The weather is clear, and I have no issues with the wifi, but have no signal at all for calls. This is getting annoying. It works fine elsewhere, but at home I have nothing. It kind of negates the purpose of having a phone if nobody can call me and I can't call anybody. Help.

Are you deep in a basement or something? A faraday cage? 🙂

What all do you have...calls in/out, texts in/out, data in/out?

Does your account show as active?

Try the lost/stolen feature.
Log in to self-serve. Plan & Add-Ons from top menu. Lost/Stolen Phone from next menu. Suspend Service button. Log out. Wait a few minutes. Log back in and back to Lost/Stolen Phone and Resume Service this time. Log out. Restart phone.
See what happens.

Carld123

@canuckamuk wrote:

Hello,

@canuckamuk you have always had asignal with PM at home before?

Need Help? Let's chat.