cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: No signal in some areas

This is weird because it worked flawlessly on Chat-R's network, which is Rogers, where as Public Mobile uses Telus. I thought Telus had more towers in Vancouver?

@GinYVR hmm interesting. May have to end up switching back to Chat-R instead 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@jmak999 wrote:

This is weird because it worked flawlessly on Chat-R's network, which is Rogers, where as Public Mobile uses Telus. I thought Telus had more towers in Vancouver?

that's because rogers uses different bands then the Telus / bell network.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jmak999There are many different factors that determine signal strengths. Tower location, building material / depth would vary the signal penetration. It is hard to say A network is better than B network because there are lot of factors involved.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jmak999Compatible means it works on the network, but it has not bearing on how the phone will perform in situations where multiple bands might provide varying coverage.

@GinYVR wrote:

@jmak999There are many different factors that determine signal strengths. Tower location, building material / depth would vary the signal penetration. It is hard to say A network is better than B network because there are lot of factors involved.

in this instance, though the original posters phone just simply doesn't have the proper bands to be used properly on this network, and as they've stated they'd rather just switch back to their former carrier over buying a new device, so this is solved for the most part.

It's just very confusing to me because I see that Telus has Band 5 for 3.5G/HSPA+ which coincides with the SM-900F's bands as well. I believe the phone's settings is set to HSPA+ as well. (it detects Public Mobile/Telus as network btw)

I've decided to set network to 3G to give it one last try. There is currently signal with 2/4 bars so we'll see after a day if it can continue to hold up. Otherwise, I am probably going to switch back carriers. Thank everyone for the help

@jmak999 wrote:

I've decided to set network to 3G to give it one last try. There is currently signal with 2/4 bars so we'll see after a day if it can continue to hold up. Otherwise, I am probably going to switch back carriers. Thank everyone for the help

Regardless you need band 4 to be able to make calls on this provider (which your phone lacks), so you might as well switch back I'm sorry to say.

@XionBunny wrote:

@jmak999 wrote:

Regardless you need band 4 to be able to make calls on this provider (which your phone lacks), so you might as well switch back I'm sorry to say.

Sorry, but this isn't correct. It isn't possible to make phone calls on band 4 at Public Mobile. Public Mobile only uses band 4 for LTE.  There is no ability for customers to use VoLTE if subscribed to this brand.

For phone calls, at lesst one of band 2 or band 5 must be present in the phone,  and it also has to be able to do it on the HSPA network.