cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No signal in some areas

Most of the time, my samsung s5 doesn't get any signal in some areas of the city. Inside a restaurant and no signal at all so I can't make any calls. Tried resetting apn but still the same. Sim is activated and works at home but whenever I'm out somewhere, the signal drops and does not give any signal anymore. I was on the $10 plan and thought switching to $15 would improve, but it is still the same. 

Mayor / Maire

Re: No signal in some areas


@jmak999 wrote:

Most of the time, my samsung s5 doesn't get any signal in some areas of the city. Inside a restaurant and no signal at all so I can't make any calls. Tried resetting apn but still the same. Sim is activated and works at home but whenever I'm out somewhere, the signal drops and does not give any signal anymore. I was on the $10 plan and thought switching to $15 would improve, but it is still the same. 


@jmak999  Changing plans will not make a difference. Also note that the APN settings are only used for data and not calling.

 

Please note that PM uses 3G for calling so maybe that might be the issue. 

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: No signal in some areas

@jmak999Is the phone a Canadian model ie a G900W8? or not what model is it? It might be you have a phone that is optimized for other networks eg TMobile from the States.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: No signal in some areas

@geopublic When I select 3G as a network, I ended up getting emergency calls only. With LTE selected, I atleast am able to have signal

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: No signal in some areas

@GinYVR No this is the international version SM-G900F

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: No signal in some areas

@jmak999The international version doesn't have Band 4. I don't think you can do much other than upgrade to another phone.

 

If you have a Samsung Store near you. I would take the phone in just to make sure all the antennas are working.. as the phone is a few years old.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: No signal in some areas

the essential ph-1 is a cheap replacement phone in a pinch and has all the bands for this country.

Re: No signal in some areas


@jmak999 wrote:

@geopublic When I select 3G as a network, I ended up getting emergency calls only. With LTE selected, I atleast am able to have signal


Unfortunately, doing that really an option unless you only want to use data and text messaging since you would not be able to make or reveive any phone calls.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: No signal in some areas

 

 

Re: No signal in some areas


@GinYVR wrote:

@jmak999The international version doesn't have Band 4. I don't think you can do much other than upgrade to another phone.

 

If you have a Samsung Store near you. I would take the phone in just to make sure all the antennas are working.. as the phone is a few years old.


A phone not having band 4 wouldn't really make that much difference if this customer wants phone call ability. As band 4 is only used by Telus for LTE, this would not explain why there is no HSPA network signal. I see this as another example of how the Public Mobile compatibility information in the help pages fails us as it makes no mention of 3g network compatibilty being required for voice services.

 

If the webpage that I was looking at, the SM-G900F does have both bands 2 and 5 for 3g, so I'm uncertain why this person's phone won't connect to that.