cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service

Annie111
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched to public mobile a few weeks ago, and there is very few spots i get service to make calls or send texts

24 REPLIES 24

@Annie111

The next question is, have you used your LG K4 on the Rogers network before? (Meaning that you had access to 2G frequencies to fall back on.)

According to my research, the LG K4 is only partially compatible with the Telus / Public Mobile network. If the information I've found is correct, your phone is only able to connect to 3G band 5 (850) and LTE band 7... So if you are in an area with towers that don't support those bands you are out of luck.

Previous thread with the same phone / similar problem: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/is-2600mhz-available-in-my-area-or-on...

Edit: Re-read your posts, I had missed your statement that you were with PC mobile before.

Bell and Telus are sharing towers, so the coverage should be similar (or the same).

If you see a significant difference in coverage it might be worthwhile to try your SIM in a different phone to exclude hardware issues.

Gonzo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Annie111 Then, just to clarify, you are getting service, just substantially less service on PM than you had on PC Mobile?

And assuming your phone is unlocked?

Annie111

Yes i tried the IMEI and it said it shoild work

@Anonymous wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Gonzo wrote:

@Annie111, I just tried the ‘all’ option for which sub model of LG K4. Did you use Public Mobile’s IMEI checker?

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

@Gonzo  @Anonymous

The IMEI checker only tells you if the device is black listed. In terms of frequency compatibility it's been known to deliver false positives. Use willmyphonework.net for the later.

Also, Telus / Pubic Mobile has never worked on 2G, they switched from CDMA (different protocol) directly to 3G and 4G. For the next little bit Rogers is the only network in Canada that supports 2G (it will be outphased in a couple of years or so)

I've seen false positives in willmyphonework as well though. gsmarena as well. Seems to me none are perfect.

In my experience willmyphonework is way more reliable than gsmarena though. For my personal use I don't buy a non-North-American device if I don't get a list of supported bands that I can double check myself against the Telus frequencies. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/198799/highlight/true#M58227

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Gonzo wrote:

@Annie111, I just tried the ‘all’ option for which sub model of LG K4. Did you use Public Mobile’s IMEI checker?

@Gonzo  @Anonymous

The IMEI checker only tells you if the device is black listed. In terms of frequency compatibility it's been known to deliver false positives. Use willmyphonework.net for the later.

Also, Telus / Pubic Mobile has never worked on 2G, they switched from CDMA (different protocol) directly to 3G and 4G. For the next little bit Rogers is the only network in Canada that supports 2G (it will be outphased in a couple of years or so)

I've seen false positives in willmyphonework as well though. gsmarena as well. Seems to me none are perfect.

@Gonzo wrote:

@Gonzo  @Anonymous

To work on Public Mobile a device needs to support an absolute minumum of 3G UMTS/W-CDMA/HSPA: B2 (1900) and B5 (850)

Two links with more information:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/198799/highlight/true#M58227

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Network-compatibility-and-APN-settings/m-p/193541#M35259

Gonzo

Annie111

I tried to check it, but my sub model was not listed so i had to email them

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gonzo wrote:

Oops, @Anonymous, thanks for pointing that out, my bad. Well, I searched the LG K4 on that site and it’s not compatible with PM on the 2G bands, just the 3G and 4G LTE. Could the tech savvy users interpret that in terms of affected service?

My now antique Blackberry Z30 doesn't do 2G either according to that site and it works fine.

Gonzo

Oops, @Anonymous, thanks for pointing that out, my bad. Well, I searched the LG K4 on that site and it’s not compatible with PM on the 2G bands, just the 3G and 4G LTE. Could the tech savvy users interpret that in terms of affected service?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gonzo wrote:

In my location, Bell and Telus have the same coverage; Rogers has a fraction of theirs. I don’t know if that’s the case in NS? Regardless, you should check your IMEI for compatibility with PM. Try https://willmyphonework.net/

That site doesn't ask for the IMEI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Omlouda wrote:

I’m disappointed with services and I wouldn’t like to suggest my friends to do same my fault. They failed in porting my number after I got 2 sim cards and plans. I wasted my money and my time in waiting. They don’t have a call center and we have to wait for response from mediator no less than 24 hours.  I’m going to send a report for (CRTC) with details.  Anyway, I have already joined with a competition company and they helped me to port my same numbers that you failed in porting. It was very easy and I got my services within 24 hrs and same prices.

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure the context of the word service in this thread was about cell signal.

Sorry you had a bad experience here. The rest of us are sufficiently happy to still be here.

Omlouda
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’m disappointed with services and I wouldn’t like to suggest my friends to do same my fault. They failed in porting my number after I got 2 sim cards and plans. I wasted my money and my time in waiting. They don’t have a call center and we have to wait for response from mediator no less than 24 hours.  I’m going to send a report for (CRTC) with details.  Anyway, I have already joined with a competition company and they helped me to port my same numbers that you failed in porting. It was very easy and I got my services within 24 hrs and same prices.

Gonzo

In my location, Bell and Telus have the same coverage; Rogers has a fraction of theirs. I don’t know if that’s the case in NS? Regardless, you should check your IMEI for compatibility with PM. Try https://willmyphonework.net/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkgirl wrote:

I was unaware anything bad could come from this except confirming the exact model hardware they have as to not confuse it as there are usually multiple revisions of the same phone that have different frequencies from different countries often

It's kinda like the MAC address of all network devices. It's traceable/trackable.

You're right about models though. I haven't looked but yes maybe there are many variations of the LG K4.

Annie111

LG K4

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Effort wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@Annie111 wrote:

I switched to public mobile a few weeks ago, and there is very few spots i get service to make calls or send texts

Where are you located and what is the IMEI number of your phone?

I wouldn't post my IMEI if I were you.

I was unaware anything bad could come from this except confirming the exact model hardware they have as to not confuse it as there are usually multiple revisions of the same phone that have different frequencies from different countries often

If it's bad I better stop asking for it lol

Annie111

Im in Bridgewater NS

I was with pc mobile, and had to get my phone unlocked. I believe they run off bell

Gonzo

What was your previous provider that you compare your current coverage to? Some places just don’t have much service, but if you are getting less coverage than your previous provider, then I would suspect your phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Annie111 wrote:

Who were you with before?

Telus rules out west. Bell east. They both use the same towers basically and they share access with each other.

Rogers is in their own world.

In all cases, rural areas will struggle to have solid signal.

I came from Telus and notice little to no difference.

barkachr

where are you located?

Effort

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@Annie111 wrote:

Where are you located and what is the IMEI number of your phone?

I wouldn't post my IMEI if I were you.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Annie111 wrote:

Where are you located and what is the IMEI number of your phone? I ask the IMEI to check for compatibility, if your phone is not fully compatible it might not be able connect to all the towers and your signal could be crap.

Public mobile is the telus network, in most places this is a top provider in regards to service

Effort

what phone do you use? Possibly your phone doesn't have the bands Public Mobile uses majority of the time.

Also what is your location?

Need Help? Let's chat.