cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service

kelticwaters
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ever since I updated my nokia phone, it's saying no sim card, no service in the upper left corner. I'm paid up and I haven't had problems for the couple months I've had it.

62 REPLIES 62

kelticwaters

@oneworld wrote:

So you have a dual sim Nokia 3 that started getting "no service" after an update but you can get wifi, your sim works in anothers phone and anothers sim from a different carrier works in your phone, You've tried many things that people have suggested. Some thoughts while you wait for the mods would be to get a backup such as a wifi phone app like fongo for when you have wifi, or you could get a sim from speakout and then a $25 top up which would last a year as a backup phone in your second sim slot for emergencies for times like this. Depending on your time and motivation you could try what @cavemantoronto suggested above about just trying a new sim card from public mobile. Good luck. I think i read that after 48 hours its okay to nudge the mods again for an update.

while on wifi i wonder if nokia will send some sort of update that you can check for ....

So I contacted Nokia. They said they're aware of the problem and will fix it in the next update. Thanks for all the help.

oneworld

So you have a dual sim Nokia 3 that started getting "no service" after an update but you can get wifi, your sim works in anothers phone and anothers sim from a different carrier works in your phone, You've tried many things that people have suggested. Some thoughts while you wait for the mods would be to get a backup such as a wifi phone app like fongo for when you have wifi, or you could get a sim from speakout and then a $25 top up which would last a year as a backup phone in your second sim slot for emergencies for times like this. Depending on your time and motivation you could try what @cavemantoronto suggested above about just trying a new sim card from public mobile. Good luck. I think i read that after 48 hours its okay to nudge the mods again for an update.

while on wifi i wonder if nokia will send some sort of update that you can check for ....

@kelticwaters wrote:

@oneworld wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@kelticwaters 

Another person with Nokia has the same problem.  Was able to temporarily fix by doing a factory reset.  Not sure whether you have tried factory reset of phone.  Make sure to back up important information.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Nokia-3-looses-network-access/m-p/382440#M72510

He did say that he had.

It looks like my problem is almost certainly do to the update, as others are having the same problem and I never had an issue before. Factory reset only worked for the guy you're talking about because he went back to a previous os version, which I didn't. I guess I'll just wait and see if anyone can figure something out, or if nokia does anything.

Good to hear you are still pursuing it. You could try a simple reset of the network on your phone if you still want to try something now (note: you lose your wifi settings). Or if you haven't already tried you could try someone else's sim in your phone and then your own right after....i.e. when someone is able to lend you this. My thought is that if the nokia/android update problem is not a really harsh or complicated problem then maybe it is just affecting the APN settings and the above might remedy that...i'm no expert on APN settings though.

I messaged the moderators about this, but I thought I might as well post here as well.

Okay, so I swapped sim cards with a friend. While swapped both of our phones were connected. He was able to text me and I was able to text him. We switched back and my phone still wasn't connected. In other words, both my phone and sim card work, just not together.

Is your friend that you swapped sim cards with public mobile ?

Maybe your phone update only affects PM customers (?)

That's very possible. I'm pretty sure he isn't.

@kelticwaters  From everything you have described it appears that your phone has a  network compatibility issue with Public Mobile's network after the latest Nokia update. I think you need to wait for the moderator to respond. My guess is that they will have to open up a ticket with their tech group to investigate further. You should also report the issue to Nokia so that they are aware of the problem.

kelticwaters

@oneworld wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@kelticwaters 

Another person with Nokia has the same problem.  Was able to temporarily fix by doing a factory reset.  Not sure whether you have tried factory reset of phone.  Make sure to back up important information.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Nokia-3-looses-network-access/m-p/382440#M72510

He did say that he had.

It looks like my problem is almost certainly do to the update, as others are having the same problem and I never had an issue before. Factory reset only worked for the guy you're talking about because he went back to a previous os version, which I didn't. I guess I'll just wait and see if anyone can figure something out, or if nokia does anything.

Good to hear you are still pursuing it. You could try a simple reset of the network on your phone if you still want to try something now (note: you lose your wifi settings). Or if you haven't already tried you could try someone else's sim in your phone and then your own right after....i.e. when someone is able to lend you this. My thought is that if the nokia/android update problem is not a really harsh or complicated problem then maybe it is just affecting the APN settings and the above might remedy that...i'm no expert on APN settings though.

I messaged the moderators about this, but I thought I might as well post here as well.

Okay, so I swapped sim cards with a friend. While swapped both of our phones were connected. He was able to text me and I was able to text him. We switched back and my phone still wasn't connected. In other words, both my phone and sim card work, just not together.

That's very possible. I'm pretty sure he isn't.

oneworld

@kelticwaters wrote:

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@kelticwaters 

He did say that he had.

@kelticwaters wrote:

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@kelticwaters 

He did say that he had.

That's tricky because it would be easy for moderators to say it's your phone.  Your sim card could be cut a little different then your friend.  Maybe it's not making good contact in your phone.  Next step is switching to new sim card.

kelticwaters

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@kelticwaters 

He did say that he had.

@kelticwatersYou can message them via this link. Do note their reply will appear on this forum, but a red dot above the Envelope icon on the top right corner.. Expect up to 48 hours for a reply.

kelticwaters

@GinYVR wrote:

@kelticwatersContact the Moderators.. chances are your SIM card has not been properly provisioned on Public Mobile / Telus' backend.

How do I contact the mods?

@kelticwatersContact the Moderators.. chances are your SIM card has not been properly provisioned on Public Mobile / Telus' backend.

kelticwaters

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@kelticwaters 

He did say that he had.

I tried resetting the network setting, and turned it off then removed the card and put it back in. Still nothing. Still haven't found another phone yet but I should be able to later.

Excellent. Btw if you also try  someone else's sim in your phone the idea is that they would be from a different carrier (followed by your own sim).  I don't know why it has worked for some when troubleshooting "no service" but it seems to have for at least one person anyway. 

Good Luck.

Should I turn it on then off after putting the other sim card in?

yes i would restart after each sim is inserted. I think the idea is to populate the given carrier APN settings.... it might not need restart but won't hurt.

hmmmm now i'm not sure if APN settings are just for data problems versus cell phone connectivity. Oh well others will know more on this. After you report back any further findings that you get later, they will help you i'm sure..

So my phone has started showing that it's connected and says telus in the top left corner. But it does this for only a second and then goes back to saying not connected.

PM100

@kelticwaters wrote:

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@kelticwaters 

He did say that he had.

I tried resetting the network setting, and turned it off then removed the card and put it back in. Still nothing. Still haven't found another phone yet but I should be able to later.

Excellent. Btw if you also try  someone else's sim in your phone the idea is that they would be from a different carrier (followed by your own sim).  I don't know why it has worked for some when troubleshooting "no service" but it seems to have for at least one person anyway. 

Good Luck.

yes i would restart after each sim is inserted. I think the idea is to populate the given carrier APN settings.... it might not need restart but won't hurt.

hmmmm now i'm not sure if APN settings are just for data problems versus cell phone connectivity. Oh well others will know more on this. After you report back any further findings that you get later, they will help you i'm sure..

kelticwaters

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@kelticwaters 

He did say that he had.

Good Luck.

PM100

@kelticwaters wrote:

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@kelticwaters 

He did say that he had.

Good Luck.

kelticwaters

@PM100 wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@kelticwaters 

He did say that he had.

PM100

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@kelticwaters 

He did say that he had.

kelticwaters

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

@kelticwaters 

He did say that he had.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkman wrote:

@kelticwaters 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Nokia-3-looses-network-access/m-p/382...

He did say that he had.

@kelticwaters 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Nokia-3-looses-network-access/m-p/382...

Nany192
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks to you too for all your patience and for your time that you have take to try lots of suggestions.

kelticwaters

@Anonymous wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Nany192 wrote:

If it’s the update problem. 

Either migration, but you do not see this option. 

or 

Resetting the phone to factory settings, may be a solution. 

But your cell must be charged more than 50%. 

Important :  that you will lose everything.

But, it may be that the other thing is the problem.  

Since when exactly did the problem begin? 

Immediately after the update? 

I tried resetting before but it was under 50% so i'll try that when it's charged more. If I do this should I leave the sim card in or out? I don't know when it happened because I don't text or call much. It wasn't until the day after updating that I noticed it.

The charge amount is a safety margin for such a large-scale function. If you just plug it in that would be fine too.

I would really suggest finding another phone to test with. So that's tomorrow.

Okay, well it was plugged in when I did the factory reset, and that didn't help. I think I'll call it a night and try to find a phone to test it with tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all the help.

Nany192

Yes, it would be a very good idea to try it in another cell.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Nany192 wrote:

or 

I tried resetting before but it was under 50% so i'll try that when it's charged more. If I do this should I leave the sim card in or out? I don't know when it happened because I don't text or call much. It wasn't until the day after updating that I noticed it.

The charge amount is a safety margin for such a large-scale function. If you just plug it in that would be fine too.

I would really suggest finding another phone to test with. So that's tomorrow.

kelticwaters

@Nany192 wrote:

or 

Nany192

or 

kelticwaters

@Anonymous wrote:

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kelticwaters 

Way back in this thread someone suggested trying the SIM in another compatible, unlocked phone. Did you try that?

I asked my sister, but she said she couldn't because she was using it for a time lapse, and I have no other phones available.

Parents? Friends? Relatives?

And you did try putting the SIM in the other slot?

You mentioned possible coincidence so we're just trying to eliminate whether it's the phone or the service. If you put the SIM in another compatible, unlocked phone and it works then you know the service works and there's a problem with the phone.

So my sister's phone isn't compatible, and It's too late at night for me to get access to anyone else, if I even know anyone who's compatible. So for the time being it's just not possible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kelticwaters wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kelticwaters 

Way back in this thread someone suggested trying the SIM in another compatible, unlocked phone. Did you try that?

I asked my sister, but she said she couldn't because she was using it for a time lapse, and I have no other phones available.

Parents? Friends? Relatives?

And you did try putting the SIM in the other slot?

You mentioned possible coincidence so we're just trying to eliminate whether it's the phone or the service. If you put the SIM in another compatible, unlocked phone and it works then you know the service works and there's a problem with the phone.

kelticwaters

@Anonymous wrote:

@kelticwaters 

kelticwaters

@Nany192 wrote:

Do you want try this :

Touch Settings 

Select Storage 

Touch the upper right corner of the screen to display the Migrate Data option and select Migrate Data. 

Touch Migrate Wait a moment while transferring data.

When this process is complete, check if everything is working normally.

I don't see migrate data option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kelticwaters 

Need Help? Let's chat.