cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service on new phone...

Kero
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just went through the entire activation process, and also switched phones.  How long does it take for the new phone to work? My new phone with new SIM has no service, and my old phone with old SIM does. It's been more than 10 minutes now...

6 REPLIES 6

Kero

Thanks mpcdesign, rebooting did the trick.  Should have thought of it myself.

Just as an FYI, based on the time I got the successful message from Public, it took about 4 hours for the switch from the old provider to happen.

It sounds like a stuck port of your number. Sometimes, all it takes is to either:

1. turn airplane mode on/off
  2. reboot your phone
  3. pull the sim card out and
  4. re-insert reset network settings (not factory reset)

Typically a successful port request is completed in 5 min to 2 hours, so at 20 hours I think you will need the assistance of a moderator to get your account sorted out. This happens every once in a while, usually when the info you provide isn't an exact match to what your old provider has on their records. Not a big problem, the mods will get you sorted out, just be patient after you send them a private message and await their reply.

At this time, the moderator team is closed for the night (it's 1135pm PST, 235am EST)

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order, they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on the message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

P.S. I am not a moderator

Kero

My account is active, and I did port my old number from another provider.  So I will be patient and hope that's all it is.  Will let you know what happens...

Thanks!

@Kero

Are you activating a new public mobile phone number or are you porting a line over from another provider?  Porting a number from another provider can take up to 2-3 hours.  Activation of a new number should be quite quick.  

In your self service account, is your account status active?  

Kero

I did initially did have a problem activating it, I got the "Oops something went wrong" message. But I was able to get back into the self serve account, and it does show the plan I selected and that my credit card was charged.

Any other ideas to get it working?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If activating went through properly sim should be active right away.

Do you have a selfserve account? What is the status?

Maybe try the lost stolen stolen mode through selfserve 

Need Help? Let's chat.