cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No phone, No money back!

kyung2k2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased their used phone on May 3rd for Mother's day gift, and today, it's Jun. 28th, I haven't received the device or money back. The phone was lost during transit by UPS and never been delivered to my place. It took about 6-7 weeks for UPS to do an investigation and when finally it was closed on Jun. 25th, I had to email Public Mobile's refund department, which they got back to me basically saying THEY need to open up an another case of themselves to investigate.....For $300 phone they have lost, they really going to try everything to avoid paying my money back?
Now their excuse is, the device is shown as "delivered" in their system, as clearly the UPS tracking shows that it wasn't. I don't know how long this NEW investigation will take by PM and it's a horrible horrible experience.. My mom never got her phone for Mother's day and don't know when she could. I've been a customer for over a year with them and this is kind of treatment I receive..... ridiculous. Do not even deserve one star. What a nightmare!

19 REPLIES 19

@softech wrote:

.. I know Amazon will take pictures.   It will show they left the package at your door.  But they don't ring.  I wonder if it got stolen after, would they do anything.

The pictures only are taken for delivery handled by Amazon Logitstics.  As for the shipments from Best Buy, Newegg, B&H, or any other store, at the moment it really isn't up to the retailer any longer when using many carriers.  It is official carrier policy at many shipping companies to not collect a signture even if the reatiler insists on it. 

Here is Canada Post's policy: 

COVID-19 updates | Our company | Canada Post (canadapost-postescanada.ca)

Canada Posts delivery people have been orderd to ignore the signature required option for most packages. 

I have also had both UPS and Purolator ignore the siganture option due to COVID-19.  

Now, as to if the delivery person will leave your package unattended near your door or somewhere on your property is still at the descretion of the delivery person. There are also places that do not get to the door delivery from some carriers. In those cases, a signature will still be asked for if, for example, a signature required package is picked up at a post office.  Even then, at least for Canada Post, "signature required" doesn't mean that you have to sign for it as they've long had a provision that if a customer refuses to provide a signature, a package will still get delivered (as long it's not a certified document type delivery).

A delivery signature mainly helps the sender. It acts as proof of delivery.  While it does help reduce hassles of stolen or some misdelivered packages, It's the seller/retailer who is responsible for making sure that you receive your purchase.

What surprises me here is that Public Mobile doesn't appear to have addressed this issue quickly.  Telus is a large company. I see there really as no reason for the customer to go through as UPS was used for the shipment.  My suggestion to Public Mobile would be to imemdiately ship a replacement device to the customer or to simply issue a full refund.  As the tracking only shows "out for delivery" and has stayed there without updates, this means that the pacakge was never delivered. UPS surely (unllike some other carriers) should give the option for the sender to redirect packages, and Public Mobile can simply have the package sent back to fullfillment centre's warehouse if the original pacakge is found at a later time. 

Kate_mcc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Most of the packages that were replaced in the last few weeks actually over the past two years have been when couriers have left a package taking a picture and it's been in an insecure area of the building and has been stolen after it was left.

True.. the app always have the alert.. .

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@softech  at least amazon takes a picture, and I usually get some notification  by email that it has been delivered.  (Might depend on delivery company)

.. I know Amazon will take pictures.   It will show they left the package at your door.  But they don't ring.  I wonder if it got stolen after, would they do anything.

Kate_mcc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

the good thing about Amazon is that when the courier leave the package in an inappropriate spot Amazon will refund the purchase when you complain as long as you have already made a complaint to the courier company. 

This has been my personal experience and I have had some months with four or more replacement shipments or refunds thanks to courier leaving packages just inside the building door where the almost always disappear. 

@CFPartDeux 

Alright then....B&H being the exception as the order explicitly states "a signature is required" for reciept of your order.

.. all businesses are like this . PM, UPS.. they all need to take LONG to finish an investigation and refund the money.. afterall.. it's better to keep the money in the pocket for as long as they can.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

Oh I do agree that in many cases you are lucky to get the door bell rung for most deliveries. B&H and Fedex, in MY neighbourhood, being the exception to this common practice.

Fixed that for you, since not all delivery drivers, and their practices, are created equally, even within one courier company. 😉

As for the OP's situation, the whole thing seems rather bogus - if UPS has already conducted in investigation, AND the tracking never, ever said, "Out for delivery", over THAT amount of time, the package is gone, and no amount of extra "investigation" by PM is going to change the outcome, so there should be no reason for the OP to not have received compensation at this point in time. 👎

@computergeek541 

Oh I do agree that in many cases you are lucky to get the door bell rung for most deliveries. B&H and Fedex being the exception to this common practice.

@darlicious 

"Many" cases doesn't mean all. I can tell you that both UPS and Canada Post have been ignoring the signature option in many situtations. The Canada Post website actually tells customers that this is being done as official policy, except in a few situations such as customs fees being due.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious @softech 

Currently, the signature option at shipping companies does next to nothing. Delivery people have been instructed to not collect a sigature in many cases, and at their descretion, to leave the package unattended.

Amazon is the worst.. they leave the package at the door without even ringing the bell.. So, many time I was in the house but didn't aware until like 12 hours later.. or my neighbour whatsapp me about the package

UPS door bell is 50% of the time... 

@computergeek541 

I have had two deliveries from B&H and the signature was required.

@darlicious @softech 

Currently, the signature option at shipping companies does next to nothing. Delivery people have been instructed to not collect a sigature in many cases, and at their descretion, to leave the package unattended.

@kyung2k2 

I am sorry to hear about not recieving the phone you ordered. As @softech mentioned I had a similar experience ordering a new samsung phone from SDM. After waiting several days that it was supposed to be delivered on I finally got an email saying it was delivered an hour earlier by Canada post. I was quite surprised as I had already seen the mailperson deliver mail and another package that I had already picked up from my front door at the time.

I immediately had Canada Post start an investigation and gave Canada Post an extra day in case there was an error. The next day after no delivery came I called SDM and they launched their own investigation which they said would take 3 to 4 weeks and they would email me. The Canada Post investigation was concluded in a week ( I suspect the temporary mailperson we had that week.)

After 4 weeks and no word from SDM I called again and they still had not concluded their investigation. At 6 weeks I called and they offered a replacement phone or a refund. I asked for the refund and they gave me a 7 to 14 business day time frame for it to appear on my credit card. After a month there was still no refund and I had to call again. They apologised and promised the refund in 5 days....finally more than three and a half months after purchasing the phone I was issued the refund back to my credit card.

Contacting public mobile immediately after finding about phone loss by UPS would have been ideal. I would give pm a reasonable amount of time to conduct their own investigation even though UPS is obviously at fault. If at that time no refund is imminent you can seek recourse thru your credit card issuer but keep in mind that is another investigation that you will have to supply info and wait for it to conclude. Getting a refund from pm will be preferable. 

Credit card lost/stolen insurance does not cover deliveries until the purchase is in the customer's hands.

You may want to consider ordering from B&H where a signature is required. Pay the extra $1 for them to handle the duties and taxes about an extra $15 to $20 to the phone cost.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1442816-REG/google_ga00137_us_pixel_2_xl_128gb.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595563-REG/moto_pafv0001us_moto_g7_plus_64gb.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1647679-REG/google_ga00129_us_pixel_2_128gb_unlocked.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1618994-REG/oneplus_opin2019bulr_8_128gb_5g_uw.html

I would involve credit card company to refund you your money and let them do investigation later.

I hope your CC has some kind of insurance covered for lost/stolen items. Even if not they should refund you money and proceed with their own investigation.

You should do that as soon as your mom's phone gone missing and not bother with UPS/PM.

I try to avoid delivery as much as I can due to extremely lousy service from any courier or Canada Post. Sometimes you have no option... 😞

because it is an UPS issue, business would have to properly open a ticket with UPS so they can get the money back from UPS, then they will give you the money back .. (and usually, UPS will not take the word from the receiver of the package.. so, the case has to be opened by the one who shipped the package)

it's a not a funny process, it certainly a tiring journey.    However, PM is stuck in the middle, too.

After PM confirmed that they opened the ticket, check with your visa card, they might have some protection plan/insurance in place that can give you back the money quicker 

"Now their excuse is, the device is shown as "delivered" in their system, " 

Obviously, to PM, delivered means they delivered the package to UPS   🙂

kyung2k2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No. 

Not true...

As I have mentioned in the post, the item was never delivered to my location.

It was lost during transit.

Just disappeared during transit.

The item was never OUT FOR DELIVERY.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

To be honest, it's a UPS issue more than PM.    (except PM should demand signature from receiver in the package, but if this option is checked, it might be more expensive  🙂  )

UPS and all courier these days, they just dump the package on your front door.. 50% of the time they will ring the bell before they run away.. 50% of the time they won't

I guess your best bet is to contact your visa card and they might be able to get you back the money quicker??

Our Honorable member @darlicious  will be able to share her story about getting a phone from SDM , lost by courier as well.   

softech_0-1625069845325.png

Need Help? Let's chat.