cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No network connection indoors

damoki
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Activated my Public Mobile SIM yesterday. My issue is that I can't connect to network while indoors. Outdoors I have 1 bar connection mostly, which appears to drop off once inside or under large structures. Have tested so far in New Westminster & Burnaby (BC).

My phone is Moto G 3rd gen XT1541. Passed the IMEI test on this site, having read these forums I've since checked on willmyphonework.net, which gives the 'it may work' answer. Unfortunately it's not working well enough to be usable.

Help please! @Shazia_K

14 REPLIES 14

@damoki wrote:

@computergeek541

@srlawren

It's a pretty simple explanation; I'm from Europe & so is the phone.

If you're looking to replace your current Moto G3, there are a bunch of XT1540 variant devices available on ebay.  The XT1540 would be the most obvious choice if you can get one for a good price since it's essentially the same phone but with full Public Mobile compatibility.

Similar Motorola models would be the Moto G4 Play, Moto G4, Moto G4 Plus, or even Moto X Play if you're looking to stick to the same brand.  Unfortunately, with any of these, you'll lose your current waterproofing.

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 could have been an Amazon or eBay purchase too. You have to be super careful and verify the exact model number and network specs, because a lot of times the models most readily available (and/or with the least expensive listings) are from other regions and may lack important network bands. 

I know now that's not what happend with the OP, but there are some sellers who don't even specify the exact variant being sold.  Sometimes, that's even deliberate by someone reselling phone because the wrong one was purchased.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@damoki @computergeek541 ockham's razor strikes again! (https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor?wprov=sfla1 for the uninitiated) 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

damoki

@computergeek541

@srlawren

It's a pretty simple explanation; I'm from Europe & so is the phone.

srlawren

@computergeek541 could have been an Amazon or eBay purchase too. You have to be super careful and verify the exact model number and network specs, because a lot of times the models most readily available (and/or with the least expensive listings) are from other regions and may lack important network bands. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@damoki wrote:

@computergeek541

Thanks for the reply. Since looking into the problem, I've seen the same regarding the incompatible 3G frequency bands, but I wasn't aware that 4G/ band 7-only compatability meant it'd be impossible to make calls. Are you certain of that fact?

100% absolutely certain without a doubt:  Phone calls will not work with a 3g connection.

How did you come across an XT1541?  That model was not sold by any carriers in Canada and also was not sold by any authorized sellers here.  Did you purchase it while travelling? 

If  you really want to stick with a Moto G 3rd Gen, look for an XT1540.  They are relatively inexpensive.  However, most of them are in used condition, although it's not impossible to still find a brand new one.

damoki

@srlawren

Ironically, I've been searching cell towers in my area (map here), and none of the Telus ones appear to support 2600Mhz, but I do get weak connection so long as I'm outdoors.

However, when I took the borrowed Fido SIM on a walkabout, I never found LTE, despite there supposedly being a number of Rogers towers nearby supporting 2600Mhz.

*shrugs shoulders*

srlawren

@damoki no problem.  Here's more info from Rogers' wikipedia page:

Frequencies used on the Rogers Network Frequency range Band number Protocol Class Status Notes

850 MHz CLR5UMTS/HSPA+ 21Mbit/s3GActive[13] 
1900 MHz PCS2UMTS/HSPA+ 21Mbit/s3GActive[13] 
700 MHz Lower A/B/C12/17/13LTE4GCurrently Being Deployed[14]Additional LTE band for building penetration and rural coverage in select markets
1700/2100 MHz AWS4LTE4GActive[13]Main LTE band providing complete coverage
2600 MHz IMT-E7LTE4GActive[13]Additional LTE band for more bandwidth in select markets

Looks like they do offer some band 7 in some areas, but like Telus and Bell, the primary LTE delivery band is band 4 with additional bandwidth on 12/17/13, none of which your phone is capable of.  

damoki

@srlawren

Thanks for spelling it out. I borrowed a Fido SIM to check and can confirm the 2G/EDGE fallback happens, at least where I'm living. Don't know if the inability to find Band 7 in that case is just down to coverage from the Rogers network in the local area.

srlawren

@damoki yes I can 100% confirm that.  Making calls on 4G LTE requires VoLTE (Voice over LTE), which PM does not offer.  Parent company Telus offers it, but only on a handful of phones that were supplied by Telus.  So even if the option eventually trickles down to Public Mobile (which has never been confirmed), it still might only be on select phones, which sadly would not likley include a 3rg gen Moto G that isn't even for this region.  

Honestly, if you want to use this phone in Canada, you would be better to stick to Rogers/Fido/Chatr, since Rogers operated a 2G GSM network in Canada and would at least get calling features that way.  I'm not sure if they run band 7 LTE, but imagine they would, with fallback to (incredibly slow) 2G Edge data, rather than fallback to no signal on Telus/Koodo/PM/Bell/Virgin.  Or, pick a new phone to stay here.

damoki

@computergeek541

Thanks for the reply. Since looking into the problem, I've seen the same regarding the incompatible 3G frequency bands, but I wasn't aware that 4G/ band 7-only compatability meant it'd be impossible to make calls. Are you certain of that fact?

srlawren

@damoki unfortunately willmyphonework was giving you the correct info but you may have misinterpreted it.  That particular model of Moto G is not compatible with Public Mobile due to it missing the two required 3G frequencies, as noted by @computergeek541 above.  The "it may work" would indicate that you will get SOME data coverage on 4G band 7, but as @will13am noted, that's not going to give you a very good experience, and as @computergeek541 noted, no phone call support at all.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Two problems, band 7 LTE is not as well covered as band 4.  Secondly, band 7 frequency is high which makes its capability indoors really bad.  The two factors equate to an essentially non usable phone in Canada.

I haven't verified this information but everything that I see about the XT1541 points to this phone being almost entirely incompatible with Public Mobile. The websites that I've been reading say that this phone does not have either of 850 or 1900Mhz for 3g, and that LTE will only be available on Band 7.  If those sites are correct about that phone's network frequency compatibilities, your phone will not be able to make or receive any phone calls.  Data would also only work sometimes (when you have a Band 7 LTE connection). 

If you want to use a Moto G3, the variant that you want is an XT1540.

Need Help? Let's chat.