cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No mobile data on new phone. APN problem?

zenanarchy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just got a new phone - an ASUS Max Pro M2 (ASUS_X01BDA). I expected a little setup because a few months ago I had to manually setup the APN for my wife's Zenfone 3 Zoom.

But on my phone there is NOWHERE to add a new APN. It shows the Telus and Koodo APNs, but I can't delete or edit them. I can turn off the automatic APN, and then it searches and shows Bell, Rogers, and Public Mobile in the popup, but then it doesn't show it in APNs.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

19 REPLIES 19

DavidL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased my wife the exact same ASUS ZenFone Max (M2) phone [model X01BDA] and had the same APN problem with Public Mobile. I installed "APN Settings" from Google Play and copied every APN setting from my Xperia XZ Premium (also using Public Mobile) to the ASUS phone. Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.thenatureweb.apnsettings

Everything now works great... Thanks OP for your persistence! 

zenanarchy

Bought a Roam SIM from Amazon, and was then able to manually add the APN.

zenanarchy

Have you tried My APN Manager or some other app like that?
@geopublic wrote:

@zenanarchy  DO you have a friend that is currently using Freedom Mobile, Fitz or Speakout? If yes, just ask them to borrow their sim, insert it in your phone and add the Public APN. Another option is to go online and order a roam.com sim from ebay or amazon.

Good Luck.!

I haven't tried an APN manager yet. I don't want the first thing I do with the new phone to be indiscriminately installing random apps that frick with its settings. I'm not sure if there's one that would work.

I do plan on trying to find a SIM. I hope I don't have to buy one. Jeez. Everyone I know is either on PM, Bell, or Koodo.

@zenanarchy  DO you have a friend that is currently using Freedom Mobile, Fitz or Speakout? If yes, just ask them to borrow their sim, insert it in your phone and add the Public APN. Another option is to go online and order a roam.com sim from ebay or amazon.

Good Luck.!

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Have you tried My APN Manager or some other app like that?

zenanarchy

@geopublic wrote:

@zenanarchy wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@zenanarchyOn some Asus phones the + is the same color as the background. Is you phone running Android 9.0?

Take a look at the screenshot below and tap on the red square.

Oh man you badly hopes up big time there, but unfortunately there really is no "+".

I just noticed that there's a system update on the phone, so I'm going to do that and see if it changes anything.

@zenanarchy  Yes, you should definitely take the update if it's the Android Pie upgrade then you should be able to add an APN without any issues.

It looks like it was only a security patch. Still no APN dialog.

@zenanarchy wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@zenanarchyOn some Asus phones the + is the same color as the background. Is you phone running Android 9.0?

Oh man you badly hopes up big time there, but unfortunately there really is no "+".

I just noticed that there's a system update on the phone, so I'm going to do that and see if it changes anything.

@zenanarchy  Yes, you should definitely take the update if it's the Android Pie upgrade then you should be able to add an APN without any issues.

zenanarchy

@geopublic wrote:

Oh man you got my hopes up big time there, but unfortunately there really is no "+".

zenanarchy

No. Unfortunately that doesn't help. Thanks for trying though.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

This video is for the M1, any chance it works for an M2 as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AqIlmlyEwg

zenanarchy

The phone's manual is very basic. It has no helpful information about APNs.

I tried manually searching and then selecting "Public Mobile 3G", but it didn't change the APN dialog. Still can't add.

It will be a week or so before I can get to a cell phone store and see if they have a SIM that brings up the "add APN" dialog. I was hoping there would be another workaround.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@zenanarchy wrote:

Just got a new phone - an ASUS Max Pro M2 (ASUS_X01BDA). I expected a little setup because a few months ago I had to manually setup the APN for my wife's Zenfone 3 Zoom.

But on my phone there is NOWHERE to add a new APN. It shows the Telus and Koodo APNs, but I can't delete or edit them. I can turn off the automatic APN, and then it searches and shows Bell, Rogers, and Public Mobile in the popup, but then it doesn't show it in APNs.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

@zenanarchy  Try selecting Public Mobile manually and then go into APN and see if you can add or edit an existing entry.

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@zenanarchy 

Perhaps look up your phone's manual online to find out how to get to the APN settings. 

When you figure that out. make sure in your phone's settings that your cellular data is turned on.

Check the apn settings on your phone are:

APN Settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri,dun
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

More info for particular devices:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

Hope this helps!

zenanarchy

I am using Android 9.

The only option in the APN dialogue is to "reset to defaults". That does nothing. Still no option to add an APN.

I don't have access to a Freedom Mobile SIM. I'd like to get this working. I can't believe that there's no other way to do it.

@zenanarchy 

@geopublic wrote:

@dennis1 wrote:

I have an UMIDIGI A3 with android 8.1 and I can't edit the apn. How do I connect to the internet?

Yes, I have a data plan.

There are 2 apns listed under Access Point Names in my settings. They are TELUS SP (sp.telus.com) and TELUS services (services.telus.com). Neither of these are editable.

There is also an IMS.

This is very frustrating when I rely on being able to send and receive photos via text.

It would be nice to have a number to call for tech support when the Comunity can't help...

The only way to get it working is if you have a Freedom or a Roam.com sim card (others have also mentioned Speakout). Those cards apparently will allow you to add an APN. So just use the card and add the Public Mobile apn. Another option is to install a non Google Play app.  More info here  and here

Hope this helps.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@zenanarchy, is this a phone running android 8.1?  That version of android had APN setting addition removed.  I have heard some say that using a Freedom Mobile SIM card can help to bring back the add APN setting.  There are other workarounds a little more involved than that. 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@zenanarchy  Try to go into access point names (APN) then select the 3 dots (menu button) and hit reset to default. Does it let you edit / add then?

Which operating system version are you running?

Need Help? Let's chat.