cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data on Galaxy S7 and Unable to Access APN Settings

pharaoh198
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just bought an unlocked Samsung S7 and have popped in my SIM card. While my phone works, I have no data at all. I have tried to edit the APN settings and have toggled between the network settings to no avail. I am unable to edit APN settings due to this message:

"Unable to view the access point name settings. Access is restricted for the current user profile."

How can I solve this problem?

26 REPLIES 26

Bmccarthy86
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This did not work for me, do you have any other suggestions ?

@22rigowrote:

just copy the ap settings from your carrier

Thanks for chiming in, but i am sure OP's problem has been solved a while ago. 

22rigo

just copy the ap settings from your carrier

22rigo

add the access point manually from you carrier settings

TCity

I did some research over at xda and this is a fairly well known issue with the G930P. Most get around it by flashing G930U firmware (GS7 carrier-free firmware in the US). I intended to do the same, but can't as my bootloader on sprint firmware (v5) is currently a newer version than the G930U firmware (v4). In order for me to flash G930U I have to wait for a version with the newer bootloader. Unfortunately, flashing G930W8 (Canadian) firmware likely won't work as the G930W8 has a different processor than the G930P. 

However, @sheytoon got me thinking. It should be able to work in the same limited fashion as it did on Bell, because nothing has really changed firmware-wise and PM uses the same frequencies. So I tried many different variations on the APN settings and eventually got it to work. Again, it is somewhat limited (not all Bands are available, pretty sure it can only do 3G, and there is no MMS if WiFi is enabled) - however this is definitely not a big issue for the wife to deal with while waiting for the new G930U firmware.

Anyways, I figured I'd share this in case anyone else runs into similar issues. Thanks again for your help!

@TCity

Bell and Telus use the same frequencies, and also data works on all frequencies. So it's strictly a firmware issue like you suspect. The Telus firmware is your best bet.

TCity

Hi @imm1304,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I did try entering that code and it returned an error (connection problem or invalid MMI code). I checked the CSC using *#1234# and it looks like the SPT group is currently set, so Canadian CSC codes likely wouldn't be in the list even if I could clear the error.

As I mentioned, it worked previously on the Bell network but still couldn't send/receive MMS if WiFi was connected (changing APN settings made no difference). Now on PM calling and SMS works, but not data or MMS. This makes me think the Sprint firmware has blocked some frequencies and I'll have to flash a different stock firmware to gain access to those bands. I'm wary of flashing the Canadian firmware as it could cause other problems or not work at all, but a Sprint or generic US unlocked firmware should work. This is why I asked the previous poster what firmware ended up working in the end. 

If you have any further insight or recommendations please let me know. Thanks again!

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @TCity,

Check the 2nd post in this thread by me.  Just dial that code with your S7's IMEI number in it and it will lead to a factory reset.  The CSC customization should be changed to TLS/Telus.  Leaving it on Sprint will not solve the issue you are trying to fix.  Cheers.

TCity

Hi. Running into the same issue on my wife's new PM account with a sprint GS7 (SM-G930P). Had it working on Bell previously but never perfectly, which leads me to think a reflash is required. Can you let me know which stock you flashed? Was it a sprint stock, Telus or other? If you could provide me the working build number it would be greatly appreciated! 

pharaoh198

I fixed the problem. Turns out it was the software. I uploaded new software using odin and problem was resolved.

Audit13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm not too familiar with the s7 but I know that rooting certain Samsung phones with trip the knox counter which can void the warranty. If there is no warranty left, tripping Knox shouldn't be a issue if you decide to root.

R47
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Be careful rooting, especially with the different variants of S7s (exynos/snapdragon, different regional version). I've known people who have hard bricked their phones after messing up on some steps. I've never had an issue, but be careful.

srlawren

@pharaoh198 there's a ton of info out there on the topic of rooting an s7, try googling it!  Or maybe try XDA forums such as here:  https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71287574

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

pharaoh198

It seems like the only way for me to obtain the MSL is to root the phone. What is the easiest way for me to do this?

pharaoh198

I tried calling Sprint again and got the same response: "Need to have an account with us so we can get the MSL for you."

Any other solutions for this without having to root my phone? 

R47
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I hada look at this thread and it looks like you'll need your MSL number (not 100% sure what that actually is) and you'll have to call Sprint to get it. Now, what you'll have to say to Sprint to get it, I don't know. The way this guy said it, you'll have to ask your first customer rep to transfer you to a technical rep, and he'll then be able to give you the code. 

Good luck

pharaoh198

I just called Sprint and they said they cant provide me with an MSL code unless I'm a customer.

pharaoh198

I've downloaded some 'MSL Reader' apps but none of them work. How likely would Sprint give me the MSL if I give them a call and tell them the IMEI? 

imm1304

You can also try your luck with some apps in the playstore.  Search for MSL code in Google Playstore.  I am pessimistic because such apps usually require root access and I assume that your phone is not rooted.  

imm1304

Sprint would know what the MSL code is for your device.  Sprint is known to restrict advanced settings to prevent usage of the phone on other networks.  

If you can, connect your phone to a computer and using Samsung Kies software, push Telus/Canadain firmware onto it.  I have never owned a Samsung so I can't help you more but if you are willing to take the time to learn, the XDA forums has the resources you need.  

pharaoh198

@imm1304 wrote:

try dialing ##data# and tap view.  This is known to unlock the APN settings and other features.

When I tap 'View' and then 'Data Profile' I see that the Username is subscribed to Sprint.

When I tap 'Edit' it says 'Enter MSL'

What should I do? 

imm1304

try dialing ##data# and tap view.  This is known to unlock the APN settings and other features.

pharaoh198

I just did a factory reset and same issue.

I also tried inserting the IMEI number to do another factory reset but got 'Invalid MMI number.'

The problem is I am completely unable to edit/add APN settings due to the error message I flagged in my first post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@pharaoh198, when you say you can't edit an APN setting, do you specifically mean editing an existing APN or trying to create a new one.  I suggest creating a new one and seeing if that works.  If you create a new one, make sure to include default,supl,mms in the APN type field in addition to the settings from this community forum knowledge base.  If this doesn't completely resolve the issue, then the nasty CSC change is required.  Welcome to the world of owning a locked down carrier phone.

imm1304

Hey @pharaoh198, a factory reset should fix this.

You can dial *#272*[IMEI of your phone]#

Select "TLS" or "KDO" to customize your phone to the right carrier.

Accept and this process will lead to a factory reset and the phone being customized to Telus/Koodo/PM.  

Need Help? Let's chat.