cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data and can no longer set APN

Happenis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Switched my wife from Koodo to Public Mobile. Waited 7 full days for the port to go through. Her phone runs Android 8.1. Now on the 8th day since changing carriers we finally have some services. But no data. I paid for LTE service. In fact, since putting the PM sim in her phone we can no longer set APN at all. It's grayed out. I've had about 15 Android devices so I feel as though I'm pretty good with them. But I'm stumped and she's pissed.

I've done two factory resets. 

Any suggestions?  Thank you

35 REPLIES 35

quebec12345
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Bonjours vous avez encores des probléme avec public-mobile et pas de service a clientelle si vous éprouver trop de dificulter a obtenir de l'aide je vous conseille de changer de carte sim avec télus la compagnie mère de public-mobile,c'est moins de 20$ dollars une nouvelles cartes sim,et il devrait pas vous charger les frais de programmation.le service apres vente de télus est meilleur si il veule vous charger des frais plus de 20$ revener me jaser et je ferait quelque chose pour vous aider,MERCI

orbsidia

My phone came default with Oreo.  All greyed out, people who upgraded are able to downgrade and edit their APN and go back to Oreo though, the APN is being locked on the carrier side since they changed things for Oreo so carriers have the option to lock, and I think it the default is to have it locked.

killer23d

From what I have read, it seems doing a factory reset on your phone can bring the "+"
 back in APN. I also notice the issues are from those who recently got upgraded from Nougat to Oreo.

Boubou

@darkstar107 wrote:

Sorry, for some reason I was thinking it was your phone not working on PM and your wife's was.  If my replies weren't making much sense, that would have been why.

You could try this solution if you know how to use ADB:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75157321&postcount=14

Here is another thread with someone having a similar problem.  His resolution was to contact Koodo (where he got the phone) and Koodo matched the PM plan along with rewards.  If you got the phone through Koodo, you might want to contact them.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/td-p/241715/...

ADB solution didn't work for me. No option to add a new APN like a + button.

I asked for help on umidigi forum and someone say it could be a problem with the IMEI number and public mobile is not detecting it.

Hi,
Phone itself allows to change APN or network operators but all this needs to be allowed by sim card and network provider. 
In settings - network & Internet - mobile network - network operators / access point name
If you still can't change those settings but in different phone you don't have those issues, you should contact directly to network operator technical support and ask for solution because maybe they can't detect your IMEI number and they need add manually.

darkstar107

Sorry, for some reason I was thinking it was your phone not working on PM and your wife's was.  If my replies weren't making much sense, that would have been why.

You could try this solution if you know how to use ADB:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75157321&postcount=14

Here is another thread with someone having a similar problem.  His resolution was to contact Koodo (where he got the phone) and Koodo matched the PM plan along with rewards.  If you got the phone through Koodo, you might want to contact them.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/td-p/241715/...

Happenis

Her sim works fine in my LG G5. My sim does not work in her Chinese phone anymore. It's a current phone (came pre-installed with Android 8.1). Her phone worked perfectly well on koodo (prepaid) before I switched her to pm 10 days ago. One weird thing. I tried her old koodo sim in her phone last night and I now get the same grayed out, faded apn. Nothing can be set. Her Koodo account has expired. 

darkstar107

Looking into it more, it sounds like it can be hit and miss with GSM sims.

Your wife's SIM works in your phone?  Does your SIM work in her phone?

If your wife's SIM works in your phone and you've tried a new SIM attached to your account and that doesn't work, that would indicate a config issue on PM's side and you'd need to get the mods involved.

Unless you wanted to root your phone and modify your apn xml file I mentioned.  You could insert your wife's SIM since it works so that you can get the correct settings.  Then insert your SIM that's not working and then edit the xml file.

hxj140

@Happenis, only Rogers and Fido operate a GSM network in Canada and they are supposed to phase it out in 2020: https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/04/rogers-extends-availability-of-gsm-gprs-network-to-december-2020/

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Happenis  i believe @darkstar107 meant insert a non public mobile sim ie rogers chatr or fido.

this thread might have some useful info https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Travelers-to-Europ-beware/m-p/273259

Happenis

I'm confused. Isn't everything, in Canada anyway, GSM these days?

And yes I've tried another Public Mobility sim. I've been on pm for some time. Same results. Can't set the APN on her phone, it's all faded out. Whereas her sim works perfectly in my phone

darkstar107

It sounds like you would need a GSM sim card in order to edit the APNs.  Some people have had luck inserting a GSM SIM (even if it's not active) then editing the APN and reinserting your CDMA SIM.  

Carriers requested CDMA be locked down and, as previously mentioned, Android introduced it in 8.1.  The only other alternatives are to see if PM will change it on their end or root your device and edit the apns-conf.xml file in system\etc.  

Do you know anyone else on PM?  If so, try putting their SIM into your phone and see if it works.  If it does, a new sim card might fix your issue.

Happenis

Tried using her old Kokoo sim to attempt to write out the existing APNs and create one with pm settings. No luck. APNs are still faded out and can't be changed or deleted. Seems the phone won't work with the sim it had worked with a few days ago. And yes i did a factory reset and tried again. **bleep**

quebec12345

ok

Happenis

interesting. I have an LG G5 as well. Love the phone. I haven't had any problem with it working on any carrier including public mobile.

Hopefully we get Oreo soon. Probably will never see 8.1 and certainly not pie

Happenis

Right you are. I'm going to try inserting the old (expired) koodo sim tonight and see if I can possibly set pm configs. If it miraculously works I'll be happy but a little pissed that I did the reset and lost everything

Happenis

Yeah I did a factory reset. Twice. No luck.

Thanks

Happenis

Very interesting. Thank you for letting me know that I'm not crazy. I've been pulling my hair out on this.

Good luck to you

Boubou

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Boubou wrote:

Hi

I have the same problem...I got a new Umidigi One Pro.

The phone is on android 8.1 and can't add or set APN.Tryed to put a sim card from bell and data work perfectly because bell push the right setting from the sim to the phone but can't add a new APN.

Why public mobile don't push the right setting from the sim???

APN settings are never stored on the sim card.  This is completely on the phone manufactuer and the software that they have chosen to install on the phone.   \

It's up to the software and/or the user to set them properly. If the software has the wrong setting, the user types in the wrong settings, or if the settings aren't edittable (if incorrect), all of those will cause data not to work.

You say it's not stored on the sim card but if you put a sim card from telus or bell the setting are corrected why do public mobile do the same and correct the apn by themself and not by us.

Things like this will not happen...

I know public mobile use telus network but why can they do what other big carrier do and

set the APN settings right.

Happenis

Why didn't I think of this? Excellent idea.

Although.... don't Public Mobile, Koodo and Telus all basically have the same APN settings? Anyway I'll go into a Koodo store in a mall and I'll try it.

Thanks so much

Happenis

I've been beginning to think the same thing. Thanks so much for your Insight. I've talked to so many people and nobody hashas  any clue. I spoke to people in five different phone stores in a mall today including a place that specializes in just doing phone repairs. Everyone looked at me like I was insane. No one had heard of anything like this.

@Boubou wrote:

Hi

The phone is on android 8.1 and can't add or set APN.Tryed to put a sim card from bell and data work perfectly because bell push the right setting from the sim to the phone but can't add a new APN.

APN settings are never stored on the sim card.  This is completely on the phone manufactuer and the software that they have chosen to install on the phone.   \

It's up to the software and/or the user to set them properly. If the software has the wrong setting, the user types in the wrong settings, or if the settings aren't edittable (if incorrect), all of those will cause data not to work.

Boubou

Hi

Anyway the problem come from the phone and android version soo stay away from umidigi with android 8.1 phone still the one pro is at 230$ and a dam great phone with a lot of feature.

Boubou

Hi

I have the same problem...I got a new Umidigi one pro http://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi_one_overview.html.

Anyway the problem come from the phone and android version soo stay away from umidigi with android 8.1 phone still the one pro is at 230$ and a dam great phone with a lot of feature.

Boubou

I have the same problem.I got a new Umidigi One Pro http://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi_one_overview.html.

The phone is on android 8.1 and can't add or set APN.Tryed to put a sim from bell and data work perfectly because it push the right setting from the sim to the phone but can't add a new APN again...

Why public mobile dont push the right setting from the sim???

Boubou

I have the same problem.I got a new Umidigi One Pro http://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi_one_overview.html.

The phone is on android 8.1 and can't add or set APN.Tryed to put a sim from bell and data work perfectly because it push the right setting from the sim to the phone but can't add a new APN again...

Why public mobile or other carrier like koodo dont push the right setting from the sim???

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I had to do a hard reset with a LG G5 for the APN to kick in.  It was a Koodo phone.   And yes, it was an option that sucked, but it worked.    Admittedly, it is a documented problem on a specific phone, but there are not many other options one can try on a phone from parts unknown. 

@bridonca wrote:

Not saying this is going to work, but a hard reset might be a fix.  You need to back up your important data first, because it will be gone.

You do realize that with android there is not perfect backup that keeps app data?  Hard reset probably has zero probability of alleviating the problem in this situation. 

quebec12345

y devrait pas tarder a vous répondre et faire quelque chose merci

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not saying this is going to work, but a hard reset might be a fix.  You need to back up your important data first, because it will be gone.

You can try putting the koodo or any other carrier sim back in to try edit/add new APN with Public Mobile settings. Then insert the Public Mobile sim back in and see if data works. 

Need Help? Let's chat.