cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No calling

Adsingh3333
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased a new connection today. Internet and messaging work but I'm not able to make/receive calls. If someone calls me, then it goes straight to voice mail.

I'm using Honor 9i.

Can someone help me with this? 

11 REPLIES 11

@CannonFodder wrote:

Uhm..... unless I'm mistaken, I believe that'd be Huawei.....  

You are not mistaken. I was mistaken. You passed, I failed. Problem rectified, lol, sorry.

@Korth wrote:

@Adsingh3333

(XiaoMi) Honor 9N/9i has two variants, 9N for India (targeted market) and 9i for China (made in China so might as well also sell in China).

Uhm..... unless I'm mistaken, I believe that'd be Huawei..... 🤔 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Adsingh3333

(XiaoMi) (Huawei) Honor 9N/9i has two variants, 9N for India (targeted market) and 9i for China (made in China so might as well also sell in China). The radio hardware on both versions is not fully compatible with Public Mobile (Telus). Won't consistently work for 3G voice calling, won't connect to most available 4G data bands.

https://www.gsmarena.com/honor_9n_(9i)-9229.php

To answer the next logical question:

This phone is also incompatible on Telus/Koodo, Bell/Virgin/Lucky, Rogers*/Fido*/Chatr, and Freedom.

* It is 2G talk-compatible with Rogers and Fido (but not Chatr) because they still have 2G legacy hardware in a few remote places, until it's fully phased out before Q1/2020. 

It is partially compatible with Ice Wireless.

You might be able to obtain custom/modded firmware which extends compatibility. But I doubt it since this device is still new (less than a year old), has middly specs (so it's uninteresting to device hackers/modders), and it's intended to be marketed exclusively in India and China (not many people will buy it in North America).

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

According to gsmarena,honor 9i is designed for China market. It is not guaranteed to work in Canada.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You could pop the SIM into another phone if there is one nearby. If everything works there, then at least you know the issue is with your phone and not PM

@geopublic wrote:

@hankonguitar wrote:

I am having the same issue. Called 611 and it hangs up immediately just like every other number I try.

@hankonguitar  Public Mobile uses 3G bands B2 and B5 for calling so your device needs to support both otherwise calling will not function properly 

Well, if that is, in fact, the case, then that answers the OP's question, because the Honor 9i  doesn't support both.....

@popping wrote:

If you can send/receive texts, your voice call should work. 

Threre's no guarantee of that.  SMS can be sent or received over LTE.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Adsingh3333 wrote:

I purchased a new connection today. Internet and messaging work but I'm not able to make/receive calls. If someone calls me, then it goes straight to voice mail.

I'm using Honor 9i.

Honor 9i.phone is designed for the China market.

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 - China

4G bandsLTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 8(900), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500) - China

According to the specs, it should work.  Text messages are piggy back on the  voice channel. 

If you can send/receive texts, your voice call should work. 

EDIT:i am not sure that if the phone is using the 850 for LTE, it may not be able to use it for 3G voice call.  Set your phone to use 3G only.  Let us know the result.

But your account may not be provisioned correctly.  Adding $1 to your account may trigger PM server to provision your account again.  Don't worry, the added $1 will be used to pay for your next renewal.

PM Network Frequencies.JPG

If adding $1 does not work, create a moderator support ticket for help using the ? button at the right side bottom corner of this page.

1. Tell SIMon what is the issue
2. Ask for "moderator"
3. SIMon will give your 2 choices. Click on the "Account-specific question"
4. Then, click on "No, I want a human"
5. Click "Submit a ticket"
6. Follow instruction to create support ticket.
Good luck.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Adsingh3333 wrote:

I'm using Honor 9i.

Do you know the exact variant. There really are two possibilities. If your phone doesn't have UMTS bands 2 or 5, phone calls won't work at Public Mobile.

While looking at the specs, on GSMArena, it appears that the China variant has band 5, and the India variant doesn't have either band 2 or 5..... assuming I read that correctly. 🤔 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Adsingh3333  What happens when you dial 611? 

@Adsingh3333 wrote:

I'm using Honor 9i.

Do you know the exact variant? There really are two possibilities. If your phone doesn't have UMTS bands 2 or 5, phone calls won't work at Public Mobile. The other thing that could have happened would be something going wrong with the provisioning of the account.

If you set your phone to use only 3g networks and do a manual network scan, does Public Mobile show up in the network list?

Need Help? Let's chat.