cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No able to make or receive calls on Xiaomi Redmi 4

abhi_pec87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is Redmi 4 MAI132 compatible with Public Mobile? Not able to make or recieve or calls although able to access internet.

19 REPLIES 19

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If it's not compatible with PM I doubt it's compatable with any phone provider in CA for 3G.

dickwong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I doubt if PM would refund.  They don't care, as far as I've learnt.  Mind you, their response is not famous of being fast, if not too slow and annoying.

@abhi_pec87 wrote:

@mimmo I checked their website before buying the SIM and it said that my device was compatible

I can certainly understand that as a basis of wanting a refund if it's the Public Mobile website that said thte phone is compatible when it isn't.

However, I'm not so sure how beneficial a refund would be to you.  If this phone is incompatible with Public Mobile, It's not going to work on the HSPA/3g networks of Bell, Rogers, or Telus (and probably not that of Freedom or Videotron either).   I would say that even though other carrier brands might have VoLTE available, HSPA compatibility is still important for voice usage.  Sourcing a different device might be the way to go. 

Both of these message threads have been merged so that members can read about this situation in one place.

Did you read the disclaimer regarding your phone? Says only 4g and that public mobile does not guarantee your phone will work!

I've attached a screenshot.

Screenshot_20190904_163956.jpg

@@

@mimmo I checked their website before buying the SIM and it said that my device was compatible

abhi_pec87

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I would not bother asking for a refund. PM is providing the service you asked for, it's not their fault your phone is not compatible. 

Can you just find a phone that will work here ? Generally, there's no refunds with Public Mobile, especially when the customer errs.

You can send a message to the moderators and ask though. Good luck.

Click this to message moderator

Here's his original thread

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/No-able-to-make-or-receive-calls-on-X...

Model Number: Redmi 4

Android Version: 7.1.2 N2G47H

MIUI Version: MIUI Global 10.3| Stable 10.3.1.0 (NAMMIXM)

Model Name: MAI132

abhi_pec87

@Triguy : Xiaomi Redmi 4 (India)

PM plans are prepaid so usually there are no refunds.  What brand and model of phone do you have ?

abhi_pec87

Hi- Can I get a refund for the amount I paid? My phone is incompatible with Public Mobile and I am not able to make or receive calls.

@abhi_pec87 wrote:

From what I can tell, this model appears to be for the India market.  According to gsmarena, India uses 900/2100 Mhz for 3G which is not compatible with this network.  India does use B5 (850 Mhz) for LTE which is a compatible band.  This confirms why you can connect to the network but have difficulties with phone calls which require 3G connectivity. 

https://www.gsmarena.com/network-bands.php3?sCountry=India

Try this.

1- go to settings

2- click sim cards & mobile networks

3-click public or wtv your sim is named

4-click preferred network type

5-select prefer 3g to enable 3g

6- restart your phone

7- test call, text, data

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@abhi_pec87 if it's the Redmi 4, then no luck, as it only supports 900 & 2100 MHz 3G frequencies.  Redmi 4X and 4X (ID) are both compatible, however.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

abhi_pec87

@will13am: Thanks, here is the phone info:

abhi_pec87

@abhi_pec87 wrote:

Hi,

I recently activated the Public Mobile SIM. But I'm not able to make or receive the calls. Although I'm able to access the internet. Please help.

Some versions of this phone model are incompatible with Public Mobile voice services based on the information that I've found.  Which version of this device do you have?

These two message threads have been merged.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@abhi_pec87, if this is not the global edition the 3G bands may not include 850/1900 Mhz.  If that is the case you will not be able to make phone calls.  Try connecting to 3G only and see if the phone will connect.  If not, then it is likely you have a phone compatibility problem. 

abhi_pec87

Hi,

I recently activated the Public Mobile SIM. But I'm not able to make or receive the calls. Although I'm able to access the internet. Please help.

Need Help? Let's chat.