cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Sim Card Error

cc1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched over from Koodo over a week ago. Everything has been going really well until today. On three seperate occasions my phone will say that No Sim card is installed (even though I haven't touched the SIM card). To fix it, I will then take the SIM card out and put it back in, this seems to solve the problem for an hour or so and then I will get the same message again "No Sim card installed". *my phone is Iphone 5*

Any help permanently solving this issue would be appreciated 

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

@s_milad wrote:

I installed my public mobile sim today and within 3 hours I have experienced "No Sim" error twice. I am using iOS 12.3.1 and already reset the network settings twice > I took out the sim card and reinserted twice. any idea why this is happening? Moreover, this phone is unlocked and I had never "No Sim" problem with Koodo before. 

@s_milad  From what you describe since it worked with Koodo you can eliminate your phone as being the issue. There is a possiblity that it could be related to how your account was provisioned but I think it could be the sim is defective. Just pick up a new sim and do a sim swap via you online account. You can also contact a moderator and ask them to check your account.

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am (Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm (Eastern).

@s_miladFor hardware issues like this I always recommend swapping to a known working phone. If the error happens on the other phone you know it is the SIM card. You can try cleaning the sim card with a pencil eraser.. it removes the oxidation on the contacts.. It also depends on how old your iPhone is.. as the OP and helper mentioned things age and phones can be treated pretty roughly some point in their lives.

@s_milad wrote:

I installed my public mobile sim today and within 3 hours I have experienced "No Sim" error twice. I am using iOS 12.3.1 and already reset the network settings twice > I took out the sim card and reinserted twice. any idea why this is happening? Moreover, this phone is unlocked and I had never "No Sim" problem with Koodo before. 

Did you reboot your phone? Just in case....

s_milad
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

cc1

Yep, finally worked the fourth time I took out the SIM card and put it back in. It has been working fine since then. 

Ibby2005

So we had they error message last week about no SIM card and we hadn't even touched it.  I think it maybe a system issue...once we took out the SIM card waited 5seconds and put it back in it has been working fine.

cc1

Thanks, I will try cleaning it more thoroughly

cc1

Thanks, I tried cleaning the sim card. The tray itself looks in great condition. It is an older phone, but never been dropped or damaged a great deal, so it possibly could be the contacts as it is an older phone.

Is it weird that once when I re-installed the SIM it switched to TELUS for a 1 minute before switching itself to Public Mobile? (I realize Telus owns PM)

cc1

Thanks, I had unlocked this phone from rogers about a year ago when I switched to koodo, but I think the unlock was succesful as I have never had this issue until now. 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@cc1 wrote:

I switched over from Koodo over a week ago. Everything has been going really well until today. On three seperate occasions my phone will say that No Sim card is installed (even though I haven't touched the SIM card). To fix it, I will then take the SIM card out and put it back in, this seems to solve the problem for an hour or so and then I will get the same message again "No Sim card installed". *my phone is Iphone 5*

Any help permanently solving this issue would be appreciated 

Thanks

Have you tried your sim card in another phone to see if the error comes back within the hour?

Often the sim card is not seated properly or there is bent pins / dirt / dust on the contacts. Try to clean the contacts with 100% rubbing alcohol / compressed air and check for any signs of bent pins.

There is also the possibility of the actual sim card tray being damaged on your Iphone5, bad or cracked solder points, while rare, it happens with time especially if the phone is ever dropped.

If you can narrow it down you can get it repaired. Its very easy to repair if you can follow steps and pretty much all cell stores can do it .

maxresdefault.jpg

ChengHaoRan-1-Piece-New-sim-card-reader-holder-tray-slot-for-iphone-5-card-socket-replacement.jpg

hailjah

Happens to me on occasions and my phone (S8 Plus) was directly from Samsung, previously re-start fixes the problem but lately I removed the SIM and cleaned it with and pencil eraser. Haven’t seen the problem reoccur.

atopilko

This happened to me before. I had gotten a phone that was unlocked by the person selling it. I ended up having to take it somewhere else and getting it unlocked again because for some reason it would lock to Rogers randomly. 

Need Help? Let's chat.