cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Service on Moto G3 XT1548

KMacK100
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ported a number from Telus on Thursday. Account activation seemed to go through ok, I can access my account through selfserve.publicmobile.ca and all the info in there appears correct, including the ported number. However , I cannot get my phone to work ("no service") with the sim card. My phone is a Moto G3 XT1548, unlocked, originally came from the US (Sprint/Virgin). It passes the PM compatibility checker. It is not reported as lost or stolen by the PM IMEI number checker. It has been working without issue on Telus the past couple years.

Tried my PM sim card in my wife's Moto G6 and it connects as it should, gives the correct phone number.  Her PM sim card in my phone will not detect the network (no service, does not give her phone # in phone settings).  Tried my PM sim card in an old phone and works as it should . So looks like there is an issue with the Moto G3.

Currently running Andriod 7.1. Also tried a backup of Android 6.0 that also worked with Telus but still have same "no service" issue.  Did a factory reset on  android 7.1 and still no service.  I'm a stumped. Is it possible the IMEI is blocked by PM? Something in settings? Would like to get the Moto G3 working if possible.

Have messaged the mods, but haven't heard anything back yet.  Thought would try here to see if anyone had any ideas.

25 REPLIES 25

KMacK100

@KMacK100 wrote:
Got the G3 to work! Turns out the OS wouldn't let me change the APN settings (LineageOS 14.1).  Ended up loading ViperOS 6.3(pie).  It had the APN settings for PM built in, but selecting that still did not give service.  Looked at several settings under network-adnanced and it had defaulted to preferred network type as LTE.  Tried a few diiferent preferred network types and setting it to LTE/TDSCDMA/CDMA/EVDO/GSM/WCDMA gave service to PM!!!  If set the preffered network type to LTE it looses service again. Turns out if have it set to "WCDMA only" it connects, just about anything else and it looses service.  

BTW did hear back from the mod team which started me down the path to get it solved.

Ken

Was having some lag issues with pie based roms so tried tried a PixysOS oreo rom. In it there was no service with the preferred network type set at 4G.  Setting it to 3G and it works as it should.  Odd that it doesn't try other network types when the preferred network type isn't found (and this is across 4 different ROMs), but could just be something peculiar with this submodel of phone. Didn't have to do this on the G6 and an older alcatel phone.

Appreciate all the input.

@KMacK100 wrote:
Got the G3 to work! Turns out the OS wouldn't let me change the APN settings (LineageOS 14.1).  Ended up loading ViperOS 6.3(pie).  It had the APN settings for PM built in, but selecting that still did not give service.  Looked at several settings under network-adnanced and it had defaulted to preferred network type as LTE.  Tried a few diiferent preferred network types and setting it to LTE/TDSCDMA/CDMA/EVDO/GSM/WCDMA gave service to PM!!!  If set the preffered network type to LTE it looses service again. Turns out if have it set to "WCDMA only" it connects, just about anything else and it looses service.  

BTW did hear back from the mod team which started me down the path to get it solved.

Ken

The lack of ability to change APN settings would not have prevented you from making/receiving phone calls or sending/receiving text messages, although I do understand that you wanted your data to work, and likely decided to go the custom ROM route for that reason.

As for setting LTE preferred causing your service not to work, that's badly programmed software.  Even if your phone were not compatible with Public Mobile's LTE network, a setting of LTE preferred should switch to the HSPA+ network.

I suspect that the LTE preferred setting is really a "LTE only" setting.  Public Mobile phone calls can not be routed through any LTE network. Data shoud have still worked (based on the phone's supported LTE bands), and I'm not sure why it didn't.

KMacK100

Just for fun restored the lineageOS and changed the preferred network type from LTE to Global, and it now connects to PM as well.

@KMacK100 wrote:

Ken

Very good job! And some other customer maybe will find the solution too with this phone!Smiley Happy

KMacK100

Ken

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

XT1548 supported CDMA in addition to HSPA and LTE.  Also, it wouldn't have been possible to use the XT1548's CDMA capabilities on Telus.  No Canadian carrier ever allowed the use of a CDMA device from a different branded carrier.

Through loyalty, I managed to get Telus to connect my Sprint branded Samsung Palm flip CDMA. What a great machine that was.

I bet that at first, they put up an argument against it.  Sure, it was always possible, but you needed the SPC, and if if you had it, the carriers here didn't want to make it so that the network would allow that phone's ESN/MEID to connect.  I'm shocked that they allowed it, and you're probably one of the feel people who was ever able to get this accomplished.

It was a fight. After the first no, I looked into it all and I learned that it had to be possible. So loyalty figured it out. Maybe they had some sympathy for me that I already bought it and brought it in from the states. Rather than it being a waste of money paper weight.

It was a thing of beauty. Flip, Palm OS, stylus.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@KMacK100I think the reasoning is just Telus had phased out the CDMA network in 2017 which your particular phone uses instead of GSM. Your phone debut in 2015.. so it is possible that Telus was selling / using it before the network phaseout. You can sell it on eBay for about $50USD if that is any consolation.

Telus did sell the Moto G (3rd generation) model phone, but they sold variant XT1540.

As for this customer's phone, the XT1548 should work as it supports both HSPA and LTE bands required for Public Mobile service.  The XT1548 supported CDMA in addition to HSPA and LTE.  Also, it wouldn't have been possible to use the XT1548's CDMA capabilities on Telus.  No Canadian carrier ever allowed the use of a CDMA device from a different branded carrier.

Through loyalty, I managed to get Telus to connect my Sprint branded Samsung Palm flip CDMA. What a great machine that was.

I bet that at first, they put up an argument against it.  Sure, it was always possible, but you needed the SPC, and if if you had it, the carriers here didn't want to make it so that the network would allow that phone's ESN/MEID to connect.  I'm shocked that they allowed it, and you're probably one of the feel people who was ever able to get this accomplished.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@KMacK100I think the reasoning is just Telus had phased out the CDMA network in 2017 which your particular phone uses instead of GSM. Your phone debut in 2015.. so it is possible that Telus was selling / using it before the network phaseout. You can sell it on eBay for about $50USD if that is any consolation.

Telus did sell the Moto G (3rd generation) model phone, but they sold variant XT1540.

As for this customer's phone, the XT1548 should work as it supports both HSPA and LTE bands required for Public Mobile service.  The XT1548 supported CDMA in addition to HSPA and LTE.  Also, it wouldn't have been possible to use the XT1548's CDMA capabilities on Telus.  No Canadian carrier ever allowed the use of a CDMA device from a different branded carrier.

@GinYVR wrote:

KMacK100

Oops, didn't mean to repost the same info, those came in while I was trying to upload the screen grab. Appreciate all the help.

BTW heard from the mods but they basically said "sorry it doesn't work", but no reason as to why it doesn't.

KMacK100

Here what willmyphonework says regarding my phone:willmyphonework_MotoG3.png

@hycm53 wrote:

@KMacK100 wrote:

PS Fastboot still reporting the phone as unlocked (status code 3).  Have recovered back the LineageOS 7.1.2 backup from Thursday.

According this website, Moto doesn't work with PM although can't find exactly model of your phone:

https://willmyphonework.net/

Moto.png

I just looked at the same willmyphonework.net site and it says XT1548 will work just fine.  The Canadian variant of the Moto G (3rd generation) is XT1540.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hycm53 wrote:

@KMacK100 wrote:

PS Fastboot still reporting the phone as unlocked (status code 3).  Have recovered back the LineageOS 7.1.2 backup from Thursday.

According this website, Moto doesn't work with PM although can't find exactly model of your phone:

Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen). willmyphonework says it should work. His SIM and service works so with all the custom rom's in play...I  dunno. Bets are kinda off the table.

@KMacK100 wrote:

Moto.png

@KMacK100 wrote:

Had tried a network reset. Just tried it again to make sure.  Still no service, but was worth trying.  

Just to be clear the PM sim card works in 2 other phones with out issue (connect to network with correct phone number, can send retrieve sms).  A second working PM sim card does not work in the G3. 

The phone is running LineageOS 7.1.2, version 14.120181121, Baseband M8916_2020610.17.03.21.26R, Kernal 3.10.49-g8a8b553. Have considered loading a stock rom but if the previous ones work with Telus then why not with PM?

The Android 6.0 was a CyanogenMod rom.  Again both the lineage and CyanogenMod roms worked without issue on Telus.

@KMacK100 Might be an issue with the tray or motherboard contacts. LG is famous for weak solder points on their motherboards. If think that's it's not a hardware issue the I would go back to stock and retry.

KMacK100

KMacK100

Had tried a network reset. Just tried it again to make sure.  Still no service, but was worth trying.  

Just to be clear the PM sim card works in 2 other phones with out issue (connect to network with correct phone number, can send retrieve sms).  A second working PM sim card does not work in the G3. 

The phone is running LineageOS 7.1.2, version 14.120181121, Baseband M8916_2020610.17.03.21.26R, Kernal 3.10.49-g8a8b553. Have considered loading a stock rom but if the previous ones work with Telus then why not with PM?

The Android 6.0 was a CyanogenMod rom.  Again both the lineage and CyanogenMod roms worked without issue on Telus.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@geopublic wrote:

@popping wrote:

@KMacK100 

Your Moto G3 works with Telus for couple of years.  It should work with PM.

Try network reset on Moto G3 and restart your phone.

@popping  OP indicated he has done a factory reset already. He also downgraded his OS without any success.

OP's phone may be re-locked again to Sprint/Virgin after OS downgrade. I have seen unlocked phone locked again.  Just a guess as OP had done all the right steps to get his phone working with PM.  OP's SIM card is working,  The problem is from the phone itself.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@KMacK100  Forgot to ask, you are running a stock correct?

@popping wrote:

@KMacK100 

@popping  OP indicated he has done a factory reset already. He also downgraded his OS without any success.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@KMacK100 

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@KMacK100 wrote:

Ported a number from Telus on Thursday. Account activation seemed to go through ok, I can access my account through selfserve.publicmobile.ca and all the info in there appears correct, including the ported number. However , I cannot get my phone to work ("no service") with the sim card. My phone is a Moto G3 XT1548, unlocked, originally came from the US (Sprint/Virgin). It passes the PM compatibility checker. It is not reported as lost or stolen by the PM IMEI number checker. It has been working without issue on Telus the past couple years.

Tried my PM sim card in my wife's Moto G6 and it connects as it should, gives the correct phone number.  Her PM sim card in my phone will not detect the network (no service, does not give her phone # in phone settings).  Tried my PM sim card in an old phone and works as it should . So looks like there is an issue with the Moto G3.

Currently running Andriod 7.1. Also tried a backup of Android 6.0 that also worked with Telus but still have same "no service" issue.  Did a factory reset on  android 7.1 and still no service.  I'm a stumped. Is it possible the IMEI is blocked by PM? Something in settings? Would like to get the Moto G3 working if possible.

Have messaged the mods, but haven't heard anything back yet.  Thought would try here to see if anyone had any ideas.

It seems there's a problem in your phone. Follow this website to reset APN, but this setting is only for data:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@KMacK100 wrote:

@KMacK100 Since you sim works in another phone there's nothing wrong with your account. It's 100% a phone issue. Since your wife's sim doesn't work in your phone then might be time for a new phone if it comes back not blacklisted.

Edit

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check your phone specs.

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

Please note that this information is indicative only. Your phone's compatibility with our 4G or 4G LTE networks is based on the radio frequencies of your phone. Public Mobile does not guarantee that your phone will work on our mobile network.

Need Help? Let's chat.