cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No SIM

Van_1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

After years of service with PM got a random "No SIM" message yesterday which has continued despite restarting and ensuring the SIM card is in proper position. My last plan renewal date was in April and everything has been working fine since then and the plan and account are currently active. Originally I assumed that the SIM card simply needed replacing but my friend who is also on PM suggested that we try swapping SIMs to see if there is any issue. My SIM card worked in his phone and his worked in mine with no issues. Any suggestions (other than get a new SIM card)?

11 REPLIES 11

@TheOldVR wrote:

@stonechucker .... gonna run out and buy some life-saving erasers from Dollarama now thanks to you :).

Wonder if this will work on that pesky Engine Service Soon light - lol.

For a Public Mobile issue, sometimes adding $1.00 makes everything ok. With your vehicle, it's the same principle...but add 3 more zero's !

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker .... gonna run out and buy some life-saving erasers from Dollarama now thanks to you :).

Wonder if this will work on that pesky Engine Service Soon light - lol.

@Van_1 wrote:

Wow! I can't believe that eraser trick worked! Thank you!

Believe it or not, I've had to do it with an old Compaq laptop years ago at work when I replaced something small like a SIM card (it wasn't, I forget what it was), and the tech on the helpline at the support centre told me to try this.

I've been using it as a last-ditch effort for the last 20 years.

The things I picked up while working front line tech support for my employer for internal employee support.  I have buckets full of this stuff.

mh1983

Awesome! Love me a good life hack!

TheOldVR

@Van_1 wrote:

LOL - @stonechucker ... looks like u need to make a Youtube video about this life hack!!!

Amazing what u can do with simple hacks like using binder clips to replace my broken keyboard feets :P.

Van_1

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Van_1 wrote:

After years of service with PM got a random "No SIM" message yesterday which has continued despite restarting and ensuring the SIM card is in proper position. My last plan renewal date was in April and everything has been working fine since then and the plan and account are currently active. Originally I assumed that the SIM card simply needed replacing but my friend who is also on PM suggested that we try swapping SIMs to see if there is any issue. My SIM card worked in his phone and his worked in mine with no issues. Any suggestions (other than get a new SIM card)?

Sounds silly, but try using a pencil eraser to "rub off" any potential debris.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Van_1 wrote:

Ignore it....for now. If your phone is working, just keep an eye on the functionality of your phone and note any changes. Hopefully it's just a transient glitch that doesn't affect anything else.

If it persists, then perhaps a new phone might be in your future !!

Van_1

Thank you, but no luck. Smiley Sad

Guess it is time to look into a new SIM card.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Van_1 wrote:

@Van_1  Other than your phones are into swinging I got nothing, stomped. Smiley Sad

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Van_1 That's strange! I was going to recommend to try the sim in any other phone and try any other sim in your phone. Since you already tested that, i have no idea why your sim is not working in your phone. At this point, i can't say wether it is the sim card or the phone that is at fault. May be try cleaning the sim a bit and see if it works?

Need Help? Let's chat.