cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Phone Calls! 'Call Failed' going out and directly to voice mail coming in!

DAK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A couple days ago any call I tried to make resulted in an immediate 'Call Failed' message. When people tried calling in they went immediately to voice mail. When I switched SIM cards (another PUBLIC account) the same thing happened. 

Bell and Telcel SIMS work fine.

The phone is a iPhone 11. The Public SIMS work fine in Android phones.

Apple Technician did diagnostics and can find nothing wrong with phone. This was after soft reset, Airplane mode toggle, Reinstalling SIM and factory reset of iPhone.

Any one have similar problems? A fix?

36 REPLIES 36

DAK

As I said earlier, the phone was purchased NEW from Apple!

No grey market!

No KIJIJI!

It had only been used on Public Mobile!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DAK : Especially now since learning it's an added cross-border complication. There has to be a way to track down what insurer did this and which blacklist registry they used and to get it removed. I suppose there's a slight possibility that the phone you bought was grey-marketed into Canada and then eventually the blacklist caught up.

DAK

And yes I could have tried further escalation at T-Mobile but to be honest, with all the discussions with all the various people at Public and T-Mobile it became very obvious that most did not have any experience with BLACKLISTED IMEI numbers OR how to remove them from BLACKLIST!

My WWW search had provided me with information that made me the person with knowledge! Very frustrating!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DAK : Thanks for the update. What an adventure! When you said you had bought it new I then wondered the same thing. Perhaps someone mis-typed the number.

Makes a lovely paper-weight I guess. Or non-cell hand-held computer. 🙂

Sucks. I don't know what other recourse you have. Can it be escalated with T-Mobile to find the insurer to track down that transaction to remove your real IMEI? Dunno.

DAK

Since my last posting about my wife's iPhone being BLACKLISTED I have determined the problem. Unfortunately the problem persists!

To summarize;

- My wife's iPhone which was purchased 18 months ago new from Apple and has only been on PUBLIC Mobile network stopped working! Any attempt to make a call resulted in 'CALL FAILED' on screen. Calls made to her number went directly to voice mail. This started on April 14, 2021

- Switching her Public Mobile SIM with my Public Mobile SIM resulted in the same issue! Bell Canada and TELCEL Mexico worked fine!

- A Community member suggested I check the IMEI number. Using one of the many services on WWW I found out that the IMEI number associated with the iPhone was reported LOST/STOLEN!

- Public Mobile Moderator looked into the issue and told me they can not BLACKLIST the IMEI number!

- I used a paid service to check who BLACKLISTED the IMEI number. Turns out it was T-Mobile USA?????? My wife has not used t-Mobile.

- I called T-Mobile (30 minute wait) and the person who picked up did not have any experience with this kind of thing. She put me to a supervisor. He dug into it and said it was an insurance company who BLACKLISTED the number on January 14, 2021! I explained that  there was obviously a problem as the phone was a Canadian phone that had no contract with T-Mobile. He said he can not do anything about it. I asked for the insurance company name and number. He said he did not have that information.

- Meanwhile A Public Mobile Moderator was doing more digging and came up with the same information about T-Mobile! Public Mobile also told me they can not do anything about it either!

What I think happened! A person who had a T-Mobile account with Lost/Stolen phone insurance made a claim. The insurance underwriter BLACKLISTED the IMEI number! Unfortunately somehow the number was entered incorrectly and my wife's iPhone was Blacklisted. The BLACKLIST covered the US region. Three months later the BLACKLIST was recognized in Canada and her phone stopped working.

Moral of this story, be care full with your IMEI number. 

@DAK   If you purchased the phone from Apple and with proof, if you have been using it on PM all along, then I think Mod can help you to take it off the list.  They might ask you for some proof.  Just explain to them these facts and push them to help.

DAK

I have to agree with you! Past issues have always been handled professionally!

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DAK - You're in good hands if you're in touch with a Moderator... it's great to hear that you have all the documentation/etc lined and they'll be the best people to help as they are employees with Public Mobile.  🙂

DAK

As you can appreciate it has been a couple days of going in circles with this issue. My wife's iPhone and I am just trying to help her (I think I am better technically?!)

to clarify:

1. The iPhone was purchased new from Apple November 2019. It has had the Public Mobile SIM in it all that time with no issues. Two mornings ago the 'Call Failed' issue started

2. BlueB: My PUBLIC Mobile SIM, used in a OnePlus 6T, does not work in her iPhone either! Same 'Call Failed'. Her SIM that does not work in her iPhone works in my OP6T.

3. I have opened another case file hoping that a Moderator can help. We have all the documentation to prove it was bought new and is still in my wife's possession.

BlueB

I'm a bit confused when you say that your SIM worked + did not work in her iPhone... which is it?  It may help us diagnose your problem.

@DAK wrote:

1. Swapping SIMS with my wife (both PUBLIC Mobile) confirmed that my SIM worked in her iPhone (I have Android) and my SIM did not work in her iPhone.

If in fact your IMEI was registered as Lost/Stolen, then you may be able to have Public Mobile moderators help.  Before doing so, I would prepare the necessary proof of purchase (eg. original receipt that shows your IMEI number) and any other details/documentation (eg. original box that shows the IMEI number) to show that you are the legal owner of the iPhone.  They will likely ask for further security verification so it's definitely worth a try.

Any recent events that may explain why it was reported Lost/Stolen may help as well.  As community users, we're happy to help, but ultimately for network and account (and device) specific issues, you'll need to reach out to the Moderators.

Goodluck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DAK : Wow. The saga continues. I would have to say that it's entirely on Public Mobile (Telus) to fix this. I would suspect that an IMEI was mis-typed that was intended to go on the blacklist that turned out to be yours. I could well imagine that proof would be needed. But I should think they could tell that by seeing your activity before this event and you saying what numbers to expect to see and where. I gotta think they have a way of linking the SIM to the IMEI and all of its activity but I don't actually know these inner workings. I should think they could go back the couple days and cross-match what devices got blacklisted and who owns them and see...oh...right...there it is. Reverse. Sorry. Carry on.

I don't know if this is a blacklist checker but you could try this. If it is a blacklist checker I would imagine you'd get the same result.

@DAK  where did you get the iPhone from?  private sale ?   If it is private sale with something you don't know, honest, it might be hard.

If it is from someone you know or you bought it directly from provider, you might be able to track back and see if they can reverse it.   But from what I know, it might be a tough run.

DAK

Yesterday I submitted a question referencing my wife's issues with attempted calls failing immediately on her iPhone! Also, any calls in were going to voicemail immediately. This was two mornings ago when it all started. Did all the standard SOFT RESET, AIRPLANE MODE TOGGLE, SIM REINSTALL, FACTORY RESET, ETC.

Since that first email:

1. Swapping SIMS with my wife (both PUBLIC Mobile) confirmed that my SIM worked in her iPhone (I have Android) and my SIM did not work in her iPhone.

2. My TELCEL Mexico SIM worked fine in her iPhone.

3. A friends Bell SIM worked fine in her iPhone.

4. When I checked the iPhone IMEI on the PUBLIC Mobile website it said 'Phone reported lost/stolen' which it is not and possibly explains why PUBLIC SIMS not working?!

5. Apple Technician did tests on phone and confirmed it is working properly.

6. Further discussions with PUBLIC tech said they can not remove the BlackList and suggested I call Apple Tech Support.

7. They confirmed that only the cellular provider had the ability to put a lock on an IMEI number.

8. Past PUBLIC Mobile Community discussions have others with the same problem that were able to get their phone off the BlackList by asking for assistance from Moderator.

9. Orchard mobile states: 

Who controls the blacklist?

You might think that Apple has the power to blacklist an iPhone, but it’s actually only the wireless carriers that are responsible for blacklisting a device. Apple cannot change the status of a blacklisted iPhone, in fact they have a hands off policy for any devices that may have been stolen.

Has any one had their phone not work and then found out that the IMEI numbers was BlackListed? Were you able to get a PUBLIC Mobile Moderator to remove this and go back to WhiteList?

DAK

I tried to continue but the post I did was moved!

BlueB

Is this the thread you were referring to?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/No-Phone-Calls-Call-Failed-going-o...

If the phone was working up until 2 days ago, it's unlikely it was simply blacklisted (unless there was something else that happened we don't know about).

If this is a continuation of your previous thread, it's best to continue the discussion instead of creating new discussion threads daily.

@DAK wrote:

Has any one had their phone not work and then found out that the IMEI numbers was BlackListed? Were you able to get a PUBLIC Mobile Moderator to remove this and go back to WhiteList?

It certainly is possible to have a a device's IMEI removed from the list of devices that are blocked form connecting to Canadian networks  This wouldnt' be any different from other carriers except that Public Mobile's support is all done online.  You'll likely have to show prove of ownership from an official/authorized retailer.

DAK

Yesterday I submitted a question referencing my wife's issues with attempted calls failing immediately on her iPhone! Also, any calls in were going to voicemail immediately. This was two mornings ago when it all started. Did all the standard SOFT RESET, AIRPLANE MODE TOGGLE, SIM REINSTALL, FACTORY RESET, ETC.

Since that first email:

2. My TELCEL Mexico SIM worked fine in her iPhone.

3. A friends Bell SIM worked fine in her iPhone.

4. When I checked the iPhone IMEI on the PUBLIC Mobile website it said 'Phone reported lost/stolen' which it is not and possibly explains why PUBLIC SIMS not working?!

5. Apple Technician did tests on phone and confirmed it is working properly.

6. Further discussions with PUBLIC tech said they can not remove the BlackList and suggested I call Apple Tech Support.

7. They confirmed that only the cellular provider had the ability to put a lock on an IMEI number.

8. Past PUBLIC Mobile Community discussions have others with the same problem that were able to get their phone off the BlackList by asking for assistance from Moderator.

9. Orchard mobile states: 

Who controls the blacklist?

You might think that Apple has the power to blacklist an iPhone, but it’s actually only the wireless carriers that are responsible for blacklisting a device. Apple cannot change the status of a blacklisted iPhone, in fact they have a hands off policy for any devices that may have been stolen.

DAK

An update!

So as we dig deeper;

1. What started this off was my wife's iPhone going to 'Call Failed' immediately after trying to make a call AND calls to her went to voicemail immediately. The account has been in place since November 2017 always paid bu Autopay! In fact it is the same plan!

2. With the help of the Community I did a IMEI check (I should have done this first) and sure enough 'The phone has been reported lost/stolen' cam up! For the record it is not lost or stolen.

3. Since yesterday morning my wife and I have been trying to get the required information to Moderators so they can look into this.

4. Trying to Access her My Account it says the account has been locked?!?!

5. For some reason the UN/PW she used a month ago for Community does not work. When she tried to reset using the email address to setup account, there is never an email with instructions to reset.

6. Setting up a new account, she tried to use the original email address but was told that it was already in use?!?!?! 

7. Using a different email address we got the Community Account up and running. Using SIMON we were in the process of contacting a Moderator for help BUT it then requested a PIN?! The pin in my wife's file did not work.

8. Now we are in touch with a moderator who has asked us a couple security questions, which we have answered, so hopefully we will have a new PIN!

So when 'Call Failed' comes up, start with an IMEI check.

We still do not know why the My Account is locked out OR the PIN she used in the past is not working OR the original email, used to request a new password, did not give us information EVEN though it is still a valid email address!

I am sure there is a simple answer for this all!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DAK : If you can log in to the account, you don't need the phone. You could also call 18554public and it'll tell you the status. I suppose it might be saying Lost/stolen for status but I don't think you can Resume it from blacklisted.

DAK

Once my better half gets home we will open the Lost/Stolen tab and see if the suspend service button is on!

DAK

Did not work on 3G or LTE

Oh man sorry, I missed that part. Never mind! Good catch @Anonymous 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheytoon : Does that explain the blacklisted status? Or do you know if that could be spurious?

@DAK where are you located? You need to be in 3G coverage to make voice calls on Public Mobile, but not for Telus or Bell. Are you sure you have adequate 3G coverage and your phone has 3G enabled?

DAK

To be exact it is my wife's phone and I am trying to help her with the problem (I am a little more techy).

I have a case file with moderator so hopefully we can get this cleared up soon.

Very much appreciate the support from COMMUNITY.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DAK : Indeed. You'll need to take this up with the moderators. Wow. Maybe someone mis-typed an IMEI to blacklist and here you are.

DAK

It is paid in full and is unlocked to all networks!

Like I said, it worked fine up until two days ago!

Since it works on other networks I am presuming that PUBLIC Mobile has it on record that it has been stolen/lost which explains, I think, why other cell provider SIMS work?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DAK : Jeez. And here I was about to say don't bother since you said you bought it new. Did you bring it from another provider? Even Telus/Koodo? Did you fully pay it all off?

DAK

Now I am really confused!

The IMEI check says phone is reported lost or stolen! It is not lost or stolen!!!!

How do I correct this?

DAK

This SIM has been on Iphone for last two years with no issues. As I said, two days ago, calls just stopped going out or coming in.

The phone was brand new.

Will do the INEI checker.

Need Help? Let's chat.