cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 5 Works on Public mobile

BetaKam
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi everyone, 

I don't know how well Public Mobile works for everyone but the new network has been working great for me.   I just started this thread for Nexus 5 owners considering Public Mobile as a carrier.  I can't speak on how well it works for all phones.. but hopefully I can help users with the same phone as me or give them some confidence in Public Mobile. 

I've taken my phone to many carriers over the past year. Wind, Virgin, Fido, and Koodo... The reason I took my unlocked Nexus 5 to Public Mobile is simple. 

pros:

I get Unlimited Calling and never have to worry about minutes. (unlike Fido, Virgin, and Koodo)

I get superior Call quality to other unlimited calling plans ( unlike Wind) 

I also go $10 off every month for a year for joining the Beta. 

cons: 

Data is not Unlimited ( like Wind)

Data is not as fast as ( like Fido/Rogers... but its still fast in general) 

Its not as cheap as Wind. 

But overall I am very satisfied with bringing my phone to Public Mobile... I encourage other phone users to post their device stories if they are satisfied or not.

9 REPLIES 9

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^ Do you have a Data Plan? If you don't then you won't have LTE.

Hello @justanormalguy,

Are you in a LTE zone where Telus offer LTE ?

How old is your SIM card? You may need a new one who is LTE compatible.

justanormalguy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I m using iphone .. NO LTE on public mobile network so fast.  

PM ...when will you fix it ?     Smiley LOL

chukdefatey
@Vostok, Depending on the Phone and where you are you can have faster LTE speeds on Bell/Virgin then Telus, Koodo & PM.
The reason is Telus and Bell are one network with the exception of 2600 MHz LTE which can reach speeds up to 150Mbps and Telus, Koodo and PM do not have access to 2600 MHz LTE.

Rogers started to roll out LTE-Advanced that why it could be faster.

Telus/Bell share the sames towers. They probably start to roll out LTE-Advanced pretty soon.

Vostok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My speeds on Public Mobile have been the same as they were on Virgin Mobile. Likely because one is owned by TELUS and the other Bell, and they share towers. To me, LTE is just a gimmick. 4G speeds are more than enough for browsing the web, using social media, even watching YouTube videos. But then again with crazy data prices for most cell companies in Canada, you can't really be streaming video content without blowing up your 500 MB data in a few seconds. Smiley Very Happy

chukdefatey
^Not a huge fan of Rogers small LTE/HSPA network but no question there LTE is faster then Telus's LTE.

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

@BetaKam, Public Mobile is Telus. Telus LTE should be fast as Rogers. Probably the tower where you was connected was overloaded.

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Nexus 5 is a great unlocked device which enables you to do exactly what you have done. Use it on any telco of your choosing. Too bad Google has stopped selling it now and is only offering the more expensive Nexus 6.
Need Help? Let's chat.