cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user - need help with tethering

priss
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello! I’m new to Public Mobile... Basically I am using a Huawei p20 pro and everything was fine until I tried to tether. The issue is when another device connects to my phone, my phone loses internet connection.

I have followed instructions on the community board to set up the APN. Everything could be set up except “dun” type couldn’t be added. I’m not sure if that’s the issue.

please help! How can I tether and not lose internet connection?

4 REPLIES 4

pvuong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm having the same issue.  I have a Hauwei Nova 3 (my other phone is a Samsung Note 5).

When I set up a hotspot on my Nova3; the Note5 connects fine and has data; but the Nova3 loses it... (i know its not a Nova3 issues, b/c my gf has the same phone, with a different carrier, and the hotspot works fine, ie. both devices have data).

I've been reading up on this forum; it seems it has someinthing to do with APN settings; mainly, adding "dun" to the APN type,  but I get a message saying "do not have persmission to change dun-type APN from carrier " to the affect...

what am i doing wrong/what else can i do?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@priss, just to confirm, you are using the normally used APN, sp.mb.com?  Public Mobile allows tethering without doing anything special.  With respect to dun in the APN type field, it's only necessary if the tethered device is not getting data.  

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@priss wrote:

Hello! I’m new to Public Mobile... Basically I am using a Huawei p20 pro and everything was fine until I tried to tether. The issue is when another device connects to my phone, my phone loses internet connection.

I have followed instructions on the community board to set up the APN. Everything could be set up except “dun” type couldn’t be added. I’m not sure if that’s the issue.

please help! How can I tether and not lose internet connection?

@prissThere are multiple methods for sharing internet between your other device (lets for now without you providing more information, lets use a windows 10 laptop as the example).

You may have it set up so your P20 is trying to use the Laptop's network. In that case, it would disconnect from LTE / cellular as it sees your network from the laptop even if it doesn't properly have an internet connection. Phones often have the "seemless" internet options disabled so it won't use cellular AND wifi/tethering and ends up the internet just doesn't work.

The other way is that the laptop is taking internet from the phone. The best way to test this theory is to set your phone hot spot as active without plugging in any wires, then connecting to that p20 hotspot with your laptop. If that works you know you have your tethering options wrong.

You may need to "turn off smart network switch"

You may also find a simple solution, restarting your phone. First soft reset, next factory reset.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Maybe this is device specific issue?!   Only those use it can tell.  Or the users using this phone in another forum can tell you if it will work at all.  

Need Help? Let's chat.