cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user: Can't receive/send Text photos, iMessage only on WiFi

NEVS08
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I switched from my prepaid grandfathered Bell account to Public Mobile last week.  I have an iPhone 6.  Do I need my "cell data" turned on in order to receive/send pictures via text?  I have also noticed that I am not receiving iMessages unless I am on WiFi.  I assume that I have some settings incorrectly set up on my phone?  I have the $15.00 PM plan, but don't want to accidently use cell data during the month, as I only have 256MB.  By switching cellular data on, will this use up my 256MB when sending/receiving photos via text?

TIA!

4 REPLIES 4

Drizzy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You need to turn the settings off iMessage/ iphone has a setting that says to make messages a sms(regular text) when not on wifi so that means when u are not on wifi you are not using imessage if you want to receive iMessages using cell data change that setting

quantum1

imessage routes all my messages though apple.  One contact in particular sends about 50% of messages with pics or gifs.  If I turn off imessage I cant send a message whatsoever to that person. . I have wifi, unlimited data. . everything. . ?

NEVS08

Thank you for the clarification that the text photos will not use data.  I have turned off the access to all other apps and have turned on the send as SMS if WiFi is unavailable for iMessage.

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NEVS08 - yes you must have cell data turned on in order to send or receive pictures through text messages (mms).  This does not use up any data.  However, as you mentioned , once data is on, the phone will try to use it.  You would need to disable apps from using data when not in foreground (or something like that).  As for imessage , there is a setting ,I Believe , to allow/tell it to use data or wifi.

Need Help? Let's chat.