cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to public mobile

Jayski
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi new to public mobile and just inserted the public mobile SIM card into my LG G4 and am prompted with "SIM network unlock PIN Unlock attempt 1 of 10".

I've tried 0000, 9999, 1234 to no avail.

Also tried my PM PIN code and it didn't work.

I know this phone is unlocked as it's been with Koodo and Rogers with no issues.

Any ideas? Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

sweden06
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I had the same problem with my old device. It was sim locked to Bell. I called them and they unlocked. After that it didn't have any problems. My new phone I bought unlocked and when I swtiched back to Public Mobile everything worked smoothly. 

Call your old service provider and tell them to unlock the phone for you. Should not be a problem afterwards.

flager
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the tech info mimmo... I was not aware of that issue... but certainly good to know... the Lg is my backup phone. I like my Samsung devices but have had many different devices over the years. I used to work in a cellular call center over 10 years ago... always loved the technical aspect of that job... we had to know so much about the different devices that were available at that time... it was really interesting.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@flager  my comment re the network reset or factory reset were to get data working, once the phone was working on the network. 

Lg and specifically the G4 and g5 have this common issue if apn settings are entered and data does not work.

@Jayski  great to know that it is now unlocked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jayski wrote:

Thanks all, made a quick call to Rogers who I was last with and they provided me the unlock code.

All good and on the network fine now it seems!

As mentioned, it's that the LG's are notorious for needing a reset to be able to connect to the internet. Test that. It may be fine of course.

Jayski
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks all, made a quick call to Rogers who I was last with and they provided me the unlock code.

All good and on the network fine now it seems!

flager
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Your device is sim network locked to your last provider... which was probably Roger's... and that is what is causing this issue... I also have had an Lg device that was previously on Bell and had to have it network unlocked. I know that with a factory reset you will lose all your pics and other info on your device... contact the provider get the network unlock code... factory reset will not network unlock your device. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I have a sneaky feeling it somehow got relocked to the original provider (Rogers) But a 4 digit pin is too short for that...  If it was a Koodo phone public sim would work no problems.

Also just a fyi once you get it going lg phones are known to need a network reset or a full factory reset to get data working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jayski wrote:

Hi new to public mobile and just inserted the public mobile SIM card into my LG G4 and am prompted with "SIM network unlock PIN Unlock attempt 1 of 10".

I know this phone is unlocked as it's been with Koodo and Rogers with no issues.

Any ideas? Thank you.

What carrier were you last with? If Koodo then you _should_ be fine. If Rogers then maybe they locked it on you. Call them.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Jayski wrote:

Any ideas? Thank you.

Your phone probably was network locked with Koodo or Rogers. Contact Koodo or Rogers for unlock network pin or unlock your phone network with  Koodo or Rogers.

Need Help? Let's chat.