cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone

NicoleTNS
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I received an iPhone 11 for Christmas. The phone was a bell phone and bell is telling me that the phone is unlocked. The error message that I am getting when putting in my public SIM card is..that the SIM card is not supported under the activation policy. 

Can anyone help?

13 REPLIES 13

@NicoleTNS For clarity, it is somethime necessary to confirm an unlock, by syncing to itunes:

1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)

2. Connect to computer with USB cable

3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run

4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates

5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered)

6. Disconnect and reboot

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@computergeek541 

Hmmmm.....good point.

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

Yes the OP never clarified and its very sad that considering its 3 years since the WCC changed its unacceptable that a slightly over one year old only iPhone is carrier locked!

I do have my doubts about if the phone is locked, but that message is identical to to one that is shown on one that is. My point was that the carrier not supported message is specific to iPhone devices and there's no wording similar to that during the actual Public Mobile account or self serve activation process. With cell phones, many have seen strange things that were taken care by a restart or factory reset.

@computergeek541 

Yes the OP never clarified and its very sad that considering its 3 years since the WCC changed its unacceptable that a slightly over one year old only iPhone is carrier locked!

@NicoleTNS  and everyone else:

A message about the SIM card being supported isn't a Public Mobile account activation or website issue. This message is displayed on the phone's disppay.

As stated earlier, this usually means that phone is locked to a carrier.  Before trying to get it unlocked, I was try connecting the device to a computer with a cable and running iTunes. Check it an error message is still shown in iTunes.  I would also try a factory restore, but first remember to back up anything you want to keep as this will delete all user content.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@NicoleTNS  it sounds like your phone still locked to Bell.

Contact Bell and they have to help unlocking for you.  Alternatively, Apple should be able to help

@NicoleTNS 

Shockingly despite iPhone 11 coming out in September 2019 nearly 2 years after the WCC legislation coming into effect in December 2017 requiring all phones sold in Canada to be unlocked this still happens where phones have to be unlocked by the carrier that sold them well after the law required them to do so. More consumers need to make formal complaints to the CCTS and following them thru to the bitter end rather than accepting a settlement from the provider which eliminates the complaint from official statistics and prevents accumulative and punitive fines from being levied against providers which would greatlý reduce these incidents from happening to consumers.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@NicoleTNS ,

@darlicious , that is assuming OP is in an area with a London Drugs (nice deal, if so).  🙂

If not, check out where to pick up a Public Mobile SIM.

"Click here to open our store locator and find the closest retailer to you."

EDIT: although I believe you have a PM SIM...based on what you posted:

@NicoleTNS wrote:

I received an iPhone 11 for Christmas. The phone was a bell phone and bell is telling me that the phone is unlocked. The error message that I am getting when putting in my public SIM card is..that the SIM card is not supported under the activation policy. 

Can anyone help?

So, try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, leave off for at least 3 minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@NicoleTNS 

I was looking at another thread and if this is the message you are getting it means your phone is still locked to the Bell network and you need to contact them to have it unlocked.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Sim-not-supported-but-was/td-p/258376

“The sim card that you currently have installed in this iphone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iphone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iphone be unlocked by your carrier.”

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Contact Bell or Apple for assistance.

@NicoleTNS 

If @hairbag1 is correct make sure you have entered your email for the current promotion and then head on over to london drugs to get a free sim card and an extra $10 credit in your account. This is on top of the free second month, 5gb data add on and $10 bonus referral credit.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@NicoleTNS wrote:

Can anyone help?

Can we assume that the sim you have is a new, unused PM sim ? If not...you need a new sim to start your own account.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@NicoleTNS 

If you are trying to activate and you are starting over you must wait one hour until your origjnal session expires. Unless you are getting this message on the phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.