cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone

DBroder69
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How do I upgrade my phone on Public Mobile?

21 REPLIES 21

@lejbonk99  you should just have to insert the SIM and restart your phone.

lejbonk99

Just bought a new used phone off orchard. My your break i fix phone samsung note 4 died last week of all bloody times, and i had to resort to dragging out the  old standby iphone 5 from orchard wheck boots up and saves in in every phone crisis.

so I am trying the galaxy s9 since i really prefer the samsung as it is compatible with everything in my house, and remembering 2 operating systems is just too confusing for my older brain lol.

Now hopefully, i can simply switch in the card and it will work.....if not I hope someone is here to help...

@will13am wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@DBroder69 

Since our price point is $200 consider Umidigi A3, A5 pro or the F2. My bf went from a Samsung S7 to the A5 pro and finds them comparatively the same. I think the A5 has a slightly bigger screen but perform the same. The battery life is longer on the A5 pro and charges quicker as well. The low light photos suffer a little though....biggest difference is the price. Regular price on Amazon.ca is $175 but around $130-$135 on a lightening sale. Comes with a screen protector and case for that price taxes in. @will13am  has the F2 and talk about the upgrades over the A5 pro.

Sorry, was going to bravo that post, but with your continued use of that word, in all good conscience, I just couldn't force myself to click the button!!! 😉  🤣 

The amount of judgment and hatred in this community is totally counter to the meaning of the word.  Seriously if something as trivial as a periodic misspelled word disgusts you so much, maybe avoiding the forum might be the best medicine.  

GEEZ, @will13am  maybe you might care to re-read what I posted, and pay particular attention to the emojis at the end of my sentence - I was pokin' a little fun at @darlicious  , i.e. I'm QUITE sure she's aware of what I'm talkin' about!!! 🙄 

GEEZ, @CannonFodder this is not the first time.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/forums/editpage/board-id/Announcements/message-id/407...

Yeah, THAT one wasn't the first time either! This forum is chocked FULL of lousy grammar, and crappy spelling, JUST like any forum, and I overlook 99.5% of it, but when a word is used that gives a COMPLETELY off-base meaning to a post, such that it MIGHT lead to confusion for the person that's looking for help, I have, and will continue to correct those.

As stated before, you read something into my post, that was directed at @darlicious , and you were off-base, because you simply overlooked some emojis.

As for this, from your previous post - "The amount of judgment and hatred in this community is totally counter to the meaning of the word."..... where does THAT even come from, as it pertains to my post to @darlicious , or for that matter, any other post in which I've corrected some wording that could lead an OP astray!?!? 😯  I've participated in at least 5 forums over the years, and 4 of those with a considerable amount of participation, and this one is EASILY the tamest one I've ever seen, and with 2 or 3 VERY small exceptions, the only thing I've ever seen resembling "judgement and hatred", is from the few folks that are ROYALLY pissed at issues with their service. You're surely not insinuating "judgement and hatred" from me, because I've corrected a few words, are you???

@CannonFodder wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@DBroder69 

Since our price point is $200 consider Umidigi A3, A5 pro or the F2. My bf went from a Samsung S7 to the A5 pro and finds them comparatively the same. I think the A5 has a slightly bigger screen but perform the same. The battery life is longer on the A5 pro and charges quicker as well. The low light photos suffer a little though....biggest difference is the price. Regular price on Amazon.ca is $175 but around $130-$135 on a lightening sale. Comes with a screen protector and case for that price taxes in. @will13am  has the F2 and talk about the upgrades over the A5 pro.

Sorry, was going to bravo that post, but with your continued use of that word, in all good conscience, I just couldn't force myself to click the button!!! 😉  🤣 

The amount of judgment and hatred in this community is totally counter to the meaning of the word.  Seriously if something as trivial as a periodic misspelled word disgusts you so much, maybe avoiding the forum might be the best medicine.  

GEEZ, @will13am  maybe you might care to re-read what I posted, and pay particular attention to the emojis at the end of my sentence - I was pokin' a little fun at @darlicious  , i.e. I'm QUITE sure she's aware of what I'm talkin' about!!! 🙄 

GEEZ, @CannonFodder this is not the first time.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/forums/editpage/board-id/Announcements/message-id/407...

@will13am wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@DBroder69 

DBroder69

Thanks. I'll keep these in mind.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@DBroder69 

@darlicious wrote:

@DBroder69 

@darlicious wrote:

@DBroder69 

At less than $200, the F2 was the deal of the decade.  Well actually I thought paying $119US for the Oppo Find 7 with extra battery, car charger, case, screen protector was the deal of the decade.  We just entered a new decade so I am sure there are better future buying opportunities lurking out there.  The key is to shop cheap for the cell plan and hardware separately.  

@DBroder69 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DBroder69 that budget is pretty constricting, especially if you're looking for a Samsung or LG unit.  You could try a Samsung A10e https://www.samsung.com/ca/smartphones/galaxy-a10e-a102/ for $180 Candian, though if you can stretch the budget, the A20 for $350 https://www.samsung.com/ca/smartphones/galaxy-a20-a205/ is going to give you the big screen and big battery you were asking for.  

There are of course other options such as the one @CannonFodder mentions.  Also there are some decent Motos in the G7 and G8 series that are at or near that price point. The Moto G7 Power for example packs a massive battery and very long battery life, though it does sacrifice quite a few things to meet it's price point.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@DBroder69  While I have a limited amount of personal use of cell phones, I'm sure @darlicious  will chime in with her opinion of the Umidigi A5 Pro, which, from the sounds of things, should check off all the boxes on what your needs are.

DBroder69

Hi. I think I'll stick with Android, I like LG and Samsung, pretty big screen, I'm not very techie, so I don't need cutting-edge, probably a bigger battery as I'm not near a charger all the time, light gamer, puzzles mostly, using for fun, not much for work, don't need headphones, don't use Bluetooth, and would like to keep it under $200 if possible. 

Thanks

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DBroder69 wrote:

Thanks everyone

@DBroder69 have you picked out a phone yet?  If you'd like, I'm sure the community is more than happy to give you some suggestions.  If desired, please give us a bit more info like your budget and various preferences.  Example, are you looking at an iPhone or an Android phone?  Do you have any brand preferences?  Any size preferences (e.g. as big of a screen as I can get vs. gotta be managable in my small hands)? Are you looking for cutting performance or anything reasonable?  Need a huge battery vs. need a slim and light phone and always near a charger?  Are you a "heavy" gamer (big 3D gitles) vs a "light" gamer (maybe some candy crush, word games, sodoku) vs not at all?  Do you plan to do work or mostly for fun?  Do you need a headphone jack or you're all-bluetooth-all-the-time-anyway?  Any other preferences you can think of.  Oh and most importantly: what's your budget (or, sky's the limit?)?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

DBroder69

Thanks everyone

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

As mentioned anove, PM doesn't sell/upgrade phones. Recently @DBroder69 , Koodo sent out upsell messages to some PM customers. If you are prepared to lock in with them on a 2 year term plan, you will get either a discounted or free phone. Both Koodo and PM are owned by Telus. So you will still be on the same reliable network. If you think this may be the way for you to go. Here is a link to Koodo  .

@DBroder69 wrote:

How do I upgrade my phone on Public Mobile?

@DBroder69 

Check out different phones online and narrow down your choices to 3 or 4 then come back and post what you are interested in and their prices and ask the community their opinions and experience with the different brand/models. You can then decide what to purchase. A popular choice here is the Umidigi A5 pro. Reg. $175 lightening sale on Amazon.ca $131-$135

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@DBroder69  And if you're doing as the others have mentioned, and buying an unlocked phone to use here, make sure it's compatible with Public Mobile's frequencies. If you're unsure, just post which brand/model you're thinking of using with PM, and you'll get the answer here, from someone.

DCAT_76

@DBroder69, In Public Mobile you have flexibility to buy your own unlock phone anywhere. e.i. Amazon, Costco, etc. This means you're the boss and not lock in any contract or plans even here in PM. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Public Mobile is BYOD only. They do not sell any phones. When you get a new unlocked phone, you just need to move your old sim to your new phone.

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DBroder69Public Mobile does not have any plans that will give you a discounted phone. You need to buy your own phone instead. If  you mean, that you already have a new phone, insert your SIM card into the new phone and if it is compatible, it should start working

Need Help? Let's chat.