cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone

adonika
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does Public Mobile sell phones? 

And do they have a tab system like koodo? 

11 REPLIES 11

AAY
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It is Bring Your Own Device (BYOD). Lots of good phones on sale, make sure it is unlocked. If you can wait, there maybe a good sale closer to Thanksgiving.

Please Like (Bottom Left Corner), if my post helped!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@adonika 

This is a great time to start looking for deals on phones leading up to black Friday. Many retailers are offering deals far in advance of that date due to the high demand for shipping this year due to the pandemic. A lot of online retailers offer an interest free 4 equal payments option to purchase your device. This is a better than paying the MSRP you will be charged by mobile providers locking you into a 2 year contract. Here's a few examples of what is on offer:

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/open-box-sale/products/samsung-galaxy-a51-6gb-ram-128gb-canadian-...

https://www.amazon.com/deal/b850857e/ref=gbmg_mob___b850857e?showVariations=true&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&...

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Samsung-Galaxy-J7-2018-SM-J737U-Claro-Wireless-ONLY-16GB-Black-Refurbis...

https://www.factorydirect.ca/lg-g5-32gb-android-smartphone

sam777aircraft
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The newer Samsung phone are all fully unlocked. Although some people still advertise their phones as "unlocked", it is no longer a big deal. If you come across a locked phone, the carrier has to unlock it for you free of charge. In most cases this can be done with a phone call to the carrier.

What is very important when purchasing a used phone is that it comes with a clean IMEI. If the phone was reported lost or stolen you will have problems registering it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bullet77 wrote:

No!

But you can buy a phone through any carrier as they are no longer allowed to lock them.

I buought my last iPhone from Virgin Mobile at The Source as they were 50% cheaper than the Apple Store, And I didn't even go with Virgin or even get a sim from them.

When I was looking for a new phone in the summer I was very frustrated with many of the retailers saying that they only sell phones with a plan. London Drugs (some) and Staples were about it and then the selection and hands-on playing around were limited.

@Bullet77 wrote:

No!

But you can buy a phone through any carrier as they are no longer allowed to lock them.

I buought my last iPhone from Virgin Mobile at The Source as they were 50% cheaper than the Apple Store, And I didn't even go with Virgin or even get a sim from them.

That's true that you can buy a carrier phone and that it will be unlocked, but the store does not have to sell to anyone. Retail stores are famous for refusing to.  This is less likely for a phone sold in a prepaid device package, but some stores will even refuse to sell unless the prepaid device is activated on a new account. If you take the example of the Koodo Mobile website, the carrier itself will not sell to  you unless you're an existing customer or unless you're placing an order for a new activation as well as the device.

ccdevmike
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes look for any deals you can!!!!

Bullet77
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

No!

@adonika wrote:

Public Mobile couldn't do a tab system becasue they don't do credit checks. And if Public Mobile were to hypothetically offer postpaid services, which they don't, I wouldn't see much reason for Public Mobile I'm not sure the purpose as those customers woud like go to Koodo.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@adonika  Black Friday is coming soon. You will likely be able to pick up some good deals on phones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adonika wrote:

No.

Ergo...no.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@adonika wrote:

Public Mobile is a Bring your Own Device provider and does not offer phones

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.