cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone won't make phone calls.

zenanarchy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So on a trip with the new phone after manually adding the APN for PU so it will work, but it never occurred to me to check to see if it will make phone calls.

It's an ASUS Zenfone Max Pro M2. Android 9.

I had to buy the Roam SIM so I could manually add the APN info. I left it in the SIM slot 2 but deactivated it.

I tried to call a motel just now and nothing. It doesn't connect. A friend tried to call me and still nothing. Everything else works.

22 REPLIES 22

@zenanarchy that makes sense. In northern Ontario, Bell and Telus don't have any 850 MHz spectrum. That means all 3G voice calls will be on 1900 MHz only.

zenanarchy

Thank you to everyone who helped. My phone works fine for calling in most of Southern Ontario, apparently. It's just that it doesn't work north of North Bay or Sudbury. They have a different cell network or something.

@zenanarchy wrote:

At home, the phone shows "3G" in the status bar; but here it is showing "4G+". So I just assumed it would work.

@zenanarchy  Doesn't really matter what the phone shows when purchasing a phone you want to get the North American version or the global version.

The phone you purchased supports the following:

4G LTE
B1 (2100), B3 (1800), B5 (850), B7 (2600), B8 (900), B20 (800), B40 (TDD 2300)
3G
B1 (2100), B5 (850), B8 (900)

Public uses the following:

4G LTE
B2 (1700), B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1), B5 (850), B7 (2600), B12 (700), B13 (700), B17  (700), B29 (700)

3G
B2 (1900), B5 (850)

So it's possible that you will get connection in one area and not another. Best to get a new phone.

zenanarchy

@popping wrote:

@zenanarchy wrote:

At home, the phone shows "3G" in the status bar; but here it is showing "4G+". So I just assumed it would work.

Can you call at home?

PM uses only 3G to call.

I hadn't even tried calling when I was home. It never occurred to me to check.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@zenanarchy wrote:

Can you call at home?

PM uses only 3G to call.

zenanarchy

@zenanarchy wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@zenanarchy wrote:

It's the ASUS_X01BDA. I'm not sure how to check the frequencies.

@zenanarchy  Where did you purchase that phone? Any way the only info that I found is that it supports the following:

4G:

B5 (850)

B7 (2600)

3G:

B5 (850)

B2 (1900) missing

It was used. Probably an Indian model. If it has the B5 band for 3G, shouldn't it work?

@zenanarchy  Ideally you want both 3G bands B2 and B5, otherwise calling will be limited.

@zenanarchy wrote:

@popping wrote:

@zenanarchy wrote:

There is very little info on Internet about your version.  It may be an India version.  Where did you purchased this phone?

I believe it is an Indian version. I bought it used on kijiji. I didn't think any phones would be incompatible.

Indian version is not good. Always look for Global version. In the meantime just download Google Hangouts dialer if you need to make a call.

zenanarchy

@geopublic wrote:

@zenanarchy wrote:

@zenanarchy  Where did you purchase that phone? Any way the only info that I found is that it supports the following:

4G:

B5 (850)

B7 (2600)

3G:

B5 (850)

B2 (1900) missing

It was used. Probably an Indian model. If it has the B5 band for 3G, shouldn't it work?

zenanarchy

@popping wrote:

@zenanarchy wrote:

There is very little info on Internet about your version.  It may be an India version.  Where did you purchased this phone?

I believe it is an Indian version. I bought it used on kijiji. I didn't think any phones would be incompatible.

@zenanarchy wrote:

4G:

B5 (850)

B7 (2600)

3G:

B5 (850)

B2 (1900) missing

popping

@zenanarchy wrote:

zenanarchy

@zenanarchy wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@zenanarchy wrote:

I don't have a SIM tool with me to remove it. I'll look for a paperclip in a minute.

Texts and mobile data work great.

The icon at the top says 4G. I do.'t know where to change the settings to 3G/LTE.

It's stock Android 9.

@zenanarchy  Settings -> Network & Internet -> Mobile Network -> sim # (not sure about this one) -> Preferred Network Type.

Also from your phone dial:

*#*#4636#*#*

Select Phone Information and check the Preferred network type setting.

Preferred Network Type is set to "2G/3G/4G".Should I change that to "2G/3G"?

@zenanarchy  No, that is the correct setting. What model phone do you have? Hopefully your model supports Public bands B2 and B5 for 3G, otherwise calling will not work on your phone.

zenanarchy

@geopublic wrote:

@zenanarchy wrote:

I don't have a SIM tool with me to remove it. I'll look for a paperclip in a minute.

The icon at the top says 4G. I do.'t know where to change the settings to 3G/LTE.

It's stock Android 9.

@zenanarchy  Settings -> Network & Internet -> Mobile Network -> sim # (not sure about this one) -> Preferred Network Type.

*#*#4636#*#*

Preferred Network Type is set to "2G/3G/4G".Should I change that to "2G/3G"?

@zenanarchy wrote:

It's stock Android 9.

*#*#4636#*#*

zenanarchy

It's stock Android 9.

popping

@zenanarchy wrote:

So on a trip with the new phone after manually adding the APN for PU so it will work, but it never occurred to me to check to see if it will make phone calls.

It's an ASUS Zenfone Max Pro M2. Android 9.

I had to buy the Roam SIM so I could manually add the APN info. I left it in the SIM slot 2 but deactivated it.

I tried to call a motel just now and nothing. It doesn't connect. A friend tried to call me and still nothing. Everything else works.

PM uses 3G for calls. It depends on the version of your ASUS Zenfone Max Pro M2.  Some version does not support 3G frequencies use by PM 3G.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/gnkm5/telus-canada/devices?utf8=✓&q%5Bfull_name...

Edit:

Did you setup your new Asus phone to select 3G and LTE automatically?

@zenanarchy wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

Did you port a number in from a previous provider?

No. I was on Public Mobile with the same number on a previous phone. I just put the SIM in the new one.

@zenanarchy  Remove the inactive sim card from your phone and try again. If it still isn't working check your preferred Network type. Public uses 3G for calling so make sure you phone is not set to use LTE only. It should be set to LTE,UMTS,Auto or something similar.

zenanarchy

@mh1983 wrote:

No. I was on Public Mobile with the same number on a previous phone. I just put the SIM in the new one.

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just to clarify

Data and texts (incoming and outgoing) work with PM sim?

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.