cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

New phone won't make phone calls.

So on a trip with the new phone after manually adding the APN for PU so it will work, but it never occurred to me to check to see if it will make phone calls.

It's an ASUS Zenfone Max Pro M2. Android 9.

I had to buy the Roam SIM so I could manually add the APN info. I left it in the SIM slot 2 but deactivated it.

I tried to call a motel just now and nothing. It doesn't connect. A friend tried to call me and still nothing. Everything else works.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: New phone won't make phone calls.

Did you port a number in from a previous provider?

YVR
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just to clarify

Data and texts (incoming and outgoing) work with PM sim?

@mh1983 wrote:

No. I was on Public Mobile with the same number on a previous phone. I just put the SIM in the new one.

Mayor / Maire

@zenanarchy wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

No. I was on Public Mobile with the same number on a previous phone. I just put the SIM in the new one.

@zenanarchy  Remove the inactive sim card from your phone and try again. If it still isn't working check your preferred Network type. Public uses 3G for calling so make sure you phone is not set to use LTE only. It should be set to LTE,UMTS,Auto or something similar.

Mayor / Maire

@zenanarchy wrote:

So on a trip with the new phone after manually adding the APN for PU so it will work, but it never occurred to me to check to see if it will make phone calls.

It's an ASUS Zenfone Max Pro M2. Android 9.

I had to buy the Roam SIM so I could manually add the APN info. I left it in the SIM slot 2 but deactivated it.

I tried to call a motel just now and nothing. It doesn't connect. A friend tried to call me and still nothing. Everything else works.

PM uses 3G for calls. It depends on the version of your ASUS Zenfone Max Pro M2.  Some version does not support 3G frequencies use by PM 3G.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/gnkm5/telus-canada/devices?utf8=✓&q%5Bfull_name...

Edit:

Did you setup your new Asus phone to select 3G and LTE automatically?

I don't have a SIM tool with me to remove it. I'll look for a paperclip in a minute.

Texts and mobile data work great.

The icon at the top says 4G. I do.'t know where to change the settings to 3G/LTE.

It's stock Android 9.

Mayor / Maire

@zenanarchy wrote:

I don't have a SIM tool with me to remove it. I'll look for a paperclip in a minute.

The icon at the top says 4G. I do.'t know where to change the settings to 3G/LTE.

It's stock Android 9.

@zenanarchy  Settings -> Network & Internet -> Mobile Network -> sim # (not sure about this one) -> Preferred Network Type.

Also from your phone dial:

*#*#4636#*#*

Select Phone Information and check the Preferred network type setting.

@geopublic wrote:

@zenanarchy wrote:

It's stock Android 9.

@zenanarchy  Settings -> Network & Internet -> Mobile Network -> sim # (not sure about this one) -> Preferred Network Type.

*#*#4636#*#*

Preferred Network Type is set to "2G/3G/4G".Should I change that to "2G/3G"?

Mayor / Maire

@zenanarchy wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@zenanarchy wrote:

It's stock Android 9.

*#*#4636#*#*

Preferred Network Type is set to "2G/3G/4G".Should I change that to "2G/3G"?

@zenanarchy  No, that is the correct setting. What model phone do you have? Hopefully your model supports Public bands B2 and B5 for 3G, otherwise calling will not work on your phone.