cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone with 5g

Katwu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi! I am wanting to buy the samsung s21 5g phone, however, i am not sure if the phone will work under public mobile plans, since PM does not provide 5g services, can someone help? I don't know these things...

7 REPLIES 7

@Sherbert wrote:

Thank you that is what I was wondering. I want to buy the iPhone12 but it says will not work if your provider doesn’t have 5G. Cool now I will go purchase my phone 

Which website said that?  For years to comes, many 5g phones are going to have backwards compatibility with LTE, HSPA, and 2g GSM.

@Sherbert wrote:

Thank you that is what I was wondering. I want to buy the iPhone12 but it says will not work if your provider doesn’t have 5G. Cool now I will go purchase my phone 

yes, it will work.  These days, all new phones put a 5G there to make it trendy.. in reality, it will be another 2 or 3 years before it becomes mainstream , i think.  

Sherbert
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yup @Anonymous 

Kinda like all those 4k (& higher) TV's on the market with most broadcasting not capable of displaying higher than 1080.

Or in more layman's terms, making vehicles that can reach speeds of 200+ km/hr for the North American market with no autobahns...

🤣🤣🤣

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is always an interesting question to me. Imagine if a company put out a phone that _only_ worked on 5G. With many-all the carriers still using 3G, some even still 2G, many doing 4G and still very few doing 5G or just coming out...why would a manufacturer limit their market? So no...most phones will have some kind of downward compatibility. It's marketing geewhiz that says they're doing 5G. Look at us, we're on the edge of now...oooh. whisper under breath look side to side but you can still use our products on the vast majority of whats out there.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It should not matter that phone is able to handle 5G signal. I have iPhone 12 which is also 5G and it works fine on Public Mobile.. So, I think you are fine.. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Yup, it'll work!

You're good to go. 

It has the required 4G & 3G bands to operate with Public Mobile. 

BTW,  if you'd like to know what the minimum recommended phone specs are:

• 3G -- UMTS/W-CDMA/HSPA: B2 (1900) and B5 (850)
  • 4G -- FDD-LTE: B4, B12
Need Help? Let's chat.