cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone unlock

Louisay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

just purchased a brand new phone and I was hoping someone can help me out with and unlock code please 🙂

thank you

11 REPLIES 11

thapager
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Have you tried a non original carrier sim? My phone was purchased in October from Koodo. I went to Bell today, popped in the SIM card for Bell and it worked without having to get Koodo to unlock it 

@Louisay wrote:

Thanks @Mana!

yup, well aware of CRTC laws. Several stores across the Vancouver lower mainland are flat out refusing to do what is right. 

Im not with freedom, I’m with PM since last year.  Possible to get a code online some how? That sounds easy enough 🙂

Have you tried contacting Sony? (There are reports that Samsung is providing unlock codes on request - which is triggered by the fact that Samsung phones lock to the first SIM inserted. Is it possible that Sony has a similar system in place?)

If you still have your freedom mobile online account access or if you know someone who does just login and you can do it directly from their online account

Louisay

Thanks @Mana!

yup, well aware of CRTC laws. Several stores across the Vancouver lower mainland are flat out refusing to do what is right. 

Im not with freedom, I’m with PM since last year.  Possible to get a code online some how? That sounds easy enough 🙂

I would try again.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/code.pdf

Even before December 1 they had to unlock the phone but could charge a fee for it.

Here is Section F paragraph 1 from the Appendix 1 of the Wireless Code

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-271.htm#a5

1. Unlocking
  1. A service provider that provides a locked device to the customer as part of a contract must
    1. for subsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the service provider, no later than 90 calendar days after the contract start date.
    2. for unsubsidized devices: unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@Louisay also as per CRTC all providers are required to unlock the phones free of charge. You probably got a bad rep, just call them again and get the unlock code or get it online. 

@Louisay if you can still log into your freedom mobile account or if you know someone can, you can simply get the unlock code by logging into the account online and inputting your phone IMEI 

@Louisay, by law Freedom must unlock the phone as of Dec.  Not sure why they say they can't.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Louisay

Thanks for quick reply !

i purchased it from freedom mobile and they flat out refused to unlock it for me!! They said “they don’t have they’re system setup to do that” which I know I not true.

Anyone here that can provide and unlock code? Its for a Sony XA1 ultra 

thanks again

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Where did you purchase the phone from?

Only the original service provider can unlock your phone free of charge. 

If the phone happens to be from Telus or kodoo then the mod maybe able to help you. 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

If it's brand new it should be unlocked - or locked to the carrier you got it from. That carrier should be unlocking it for you (as of December 1/2017 they have to do so for free.)

What phone is it? Samsung is known for locking the phone to the first SIM card inserted - if you contact Samsung they can help you with the code (I've also seen reports that the code is provided in the box, but I'm not a Samsung user so can't confirm that.)

Need Help? Let's chat.