cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone motorola G7 Power

mench55
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can someone please tell me if the phone I ordered on amazon yesterday a 

motorola G7 Power cell phone unlocked. Will it be compatible with the Public Mobile network if I transfer the sim card from my current defective LG phone to the new motorola G7 Power unlocked cell phone. Here is a link to the phone I bought >  https://amzn.to/2CNVsdn

17 REPLIES 17

@mench55 

I would try connecting your phone to a computer using a USB cable. Hopefully, when doing that, your phone is in USB mass storage mode. If it is, you should be able to move or copy any files that you wish to keep.

If your phone is in the wrong USB mode, I believe that it should be possible to switch it using ADB commands.

mench55

No my data is not saved on any memory card

@gblackma wrote:

@mench55 try a network reset. 

Reset Network Settings - LG G4™
  1. From a Home screen, navigate: Apps > Settings. > Backup & reset.
  2. Tap Network settings reset.
  3. Tap RESET SETTINGS.
  4. Tap Reset Settings.
  5. Restart your phone if it doesn't automatically do so. 
  6. Reenter your wifi password if applicable. 

Use this link for the correct APN settings https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/lg-g4

Save it. Enable data and try sending an mms text message. Stay safe. 

Since the OP is only using the phone to recover files, perfoming these steps wouldn't assist with that unless the OP needs to use an internet connection to upload the files somewhere to back them up.

@mench55 wrote:

How can I reset the APN settings on my LG4 cell phone. The phone has gone wild! When I turn it on, it's not stable and is not maneuverable. I need the old LG4 to function properly so that I could transfer all the data from it to my new motorola G7 Power

Unfortunately, APN settings having nothing to do with the phone going "wild".  APN setttings are only there to make data work. You might want to boot your phone into safe mode to see if it's a badly behaving app causing issues. If all else fails, you could do a factory reset using the phone's recovery option, but  if you do that it will delete all user content (which would defeat the purpose of trying to recover your data).

By any chance is the information and files that you're trying to recover saved on a removable memory card?

mench55

I'll try the screen cleaning, and you are right, I don't want to spend any money on an old phone

@mench55 

Try giving the screen a really good cleaning with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and a microfiber cloth. Also remove any screen protectors.

If it remains unusable the only solution would be to replace the digitizer... though I'm sure the last thing you want to do is spend more money on the old phone!

mench55

If only I could. The screen is so erratic ! It doesn't allow me to properly maneuver. And when I tried to press on settings, I got GPS navigation.  The phone clicks by itself and scrolls by itself and the only way to stop it is to remove the battery.. I cannot even power off the phone. The only option it gives me is to power off and restart and when I do, the same erratic behavior occurs. I think the phone caught covid 19

@mench55 try a network reset. 

Reset Network Settings - LG G4™
  1. From a Home screen, navigate: Apps > Settings. > Backup & reset.
  2. Tap Network settings reset.
  3. Tap RESET SETTINGS.
  4. Tap Reset Settings.
  5. Restart your phone if it doesn't automatically do so. 
  6. Reenter your wifi password if applicable. 

Use this link for the correct APN settings https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/lg-g4

Save it. Enable data and try sending an mms text message. Stay safe. 

mench55

How can I reset the APN settings on my LG4 cell phone. The phone has gone wild! When I turn it on, it's not stable and is not maneuverable. I need the old LG4 to function properly so that I could transfer all the data from it to my new motorola G7 Power

@gpixel wrote:

you might need to purchase a new SIM card since the G4 uses a micro sim.

Heh, well, you wouldn't technically *have* to purchase a new SIM - you could cut the old one down to size with a tool such as this if it doesn't have the cutouts already: 😁

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Standard-Micro-SIM-Card-to-Nano-SIM-Card-Cut-Cutter-Smart-Phone-Cutter-Tool-...

If you don't already have the tool, of course it's still cheaper/better to just get a new one, especially they're $3.33 or less from places like this:

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/latest-products/products/public-sim-card

@gblackma wrote:

@mench55  lg phones require at minimum a network reset and sometimes a factory reset to work properly with PM. If you need help doing this. Then whats the model of your phone?  Thanks. Stay safe. 

This isn't always the case. Sometimes, LG Android-based phones work just fine without needing any of that. It's also no specific to Public Mobile, but rather with a flaw in the software causing data not to work after inserting a different carrier's sim card.

@mench55 you might need to purchase a new SIM card since the G4 uses a micro sim. just remove the sim from your phone and see if there is another cutout and put pressure to push out the smaller size sim. if you don't have that you would need to purchase a new SIM card. you can change your sim card in your self serve account under "my profile" to the right of the page. make sure to purchase just the sim, don't activate it at the store.

change pass,sim,number.jpeg

mench55

Could you please send me specific instructions on how to transfer to my new motorola G7 Power cell phone. Hopefully it will be as simple as removing the sim card from my LG4 and then inserting it into my new motorola G7 Power cell phone. Is there anything else I would need to do to be up and running? How do I trim the micro size sim card down to nano size in order to fit the motorola G7 Power cell phone? Would I need a new Sim card? And if so, how do I attain one and how long would it take? Can't be without a phone for too long.

Thanks!

@mench55 you may have to reset your APN settings. But knock on wood, all you should have to do is insert the SIM card. If you need more help, just ask. Is you sim a triple punch one? The lg 4 uses a micro sim and the moto g7 a nano sim. You should just have to carefull  punch it down to size. Stay safe. 

Public_Mobile_-_Knowledge_Base_Articles_Overhaul_DESIGN-Image-1_C_Aug7.png

mench55

The model of my defective LG phone is a LG4

The screen is going nuts like it caught covid. It's an old phone. I've had it for about 5 years . Sometimes when it was in my pocket it would activate the camera or I heard swishing of the phone. Now it's totally inoperative. I tried answering a call on bluetooth and it kept putting the call on hold and then switching back to on and then on hold again. I don't think it can be reset. I removed the battery and then reinstalled it but that didn't work. I think I'll just wait for my new motorola G7 Power phone to arrive tomorrow.  Question on the new phone; To get it to work on the public mobile network, all I have to do is remove the sim card from my crappy LG phone and then insert it into the new motorola G7 Power phone? Is there anything else I would need to do?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@mench55  lg phones require at minimum a network reset and sometimes a factory reset to work properly with PM. If you need help doing this. Then whats the model of your phone?  Thanks. Stay safe. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Yes it will @mench55  it has both the required 3g and 4g LTE bands.  Its 100% compatible. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.