cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone: caller ID displays other cells as "Pay phone", doesn't display number

AndrewDobbs
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

EDIT: Solved.

Hello and thanks for any assistance.

I got a new cell a couple weeks ago and I notice an issue. When I receive calls from other cell phones the caller ID doesn't seem to work as it only displays the other phone as "Pay phone" and no number is displayed. So far I've received one call from a landline (my own) and the caller ID works properly in that case, although I don't know anybody else with a landline to confirm if the problem ever occurs with any landlines. In all cases the incoming numbers were associated with contacts in my phone's contact list. Is this more likely a problem with my phone or Public Mobile? This is my first smart phone (Motorola Droid 4) so it's possible there could be some technical thing on the phone that I need to address? What can I do to fix this?

Thanks a lot for any help!

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewDobbs

Resolved. I contacted the moderator team suggesting they deactivate the 'name display' service while leaving the 'call display' service active. They said their tech guys disabled a feature in the back-end system of my account (presumably the 'name display' in question) and after restarting my phone the caller ID works just fine. Thanks a lot alanbrenan and ShawnC13 for your help!

@AndrewDobbs, were you able to get this resolved

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

AndrewDobbs

Woops you posted as I posted, thanks for the info I'll try.

AndrewDobbs

Yes it definitely says "Pay phone" 100%. The phone was intended I believe for Verizon, but I purchased it unlocked, I wonder if that is relevant. I'll post back here if I find a solution on the phone end.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@AndrewDobbs, I found this through a google search  and lead me to XDA it comes from a Rogers Customer but hopefully it will help

When I was receiving phone calls, the built in dialer would tell me that "Pay Phone" is calling, the solution to contact the Rogers Customer Care, and have them remove the "Name Display" option.

Rogers has 2 services for call display:
Name Display (which does a phonebook lookup from Roger's Side)
Call Display (the number of the dialer who is trying to dial you)

Most motorola radios don't actually support these 2 features together, so Blur reads it as "Pay Phone". After contacting Customer Service, have them remove ONLY "Name Display". I restarted my phone then everything started working properly again.

Try Contacting a Mod and asking for this. 

To send a private message to a moderator click this link.
In your message please include:
  • PM Phone Number
  • 4 digit PIN (if you don't remember this then they will need at least 3 of the following to verify your identity)
    • account number 
    • date of birth
    • complete address listed on account with postal code
    • email address on account
    • most commonly called numbers
    • alternate number listed on the account
    • last payment date and amount
    • last 4 digits of the credit card
  • Detailed explanation
Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am(Eastern) to 9pm(Eastern) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(Eastern) to 7:30pm(Eastern)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

alanbrenan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey @AndrewDobbs!

Can you confirm that it says "pay phone" and not "No Caller ID" or "Blocked"?

As far as my research into this issue has granted, this is likely a phone issue. If you're knowledgeable in swapping your SIM card, you could test making calls on another phone to see if the issue persists. Only do this if you know you can do it in a way that won't dump information on either phone. (or make backups!)

Need Help? Let's chat.