cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone/Sim card

splynch
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an iPhone 6 right now and bought a new iPhone SE online and was wondering about how it works when switching sim cards between phones and if my data/apps would be saved if I just took my sim card out and into the new phone and if it would work all the same. I have backed up the phone as well

6 REPLIES 6

@Staliger wrote:

@splynch You just put your sim into new phone. Data and apps are synchronized with Cloud, so you can re-download them on your new phone. 

NOT always. That depends on your iCloud settings. Make sure BOTH phones are on current iOS. I would back up the older phone on a computer using iTunes then restore the new to you  phone from that back up. There can sometimes be a refusal to restore if the iOS versions are different. If it all works back up - restore wise you may have to re-enter email passwords. Having iCloud set to continually replicate one device to another is a PITA. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@splynch wrote:

I have an iPhone 6 right now and bought a new iPhone SE online and was wondering about how it works when switching sim cards between phones and if my data/apps would be saved if I just took my sim card out and into the new phone and if it would work all the same. I have backed up the phone as well

@splynch you are exactly right. The only thing you will need to make sure is that your new phone is unlocked. But, I believe if you have just purchased it then there would not be a problem. All your apps usually carry over to the new phone in my experience. 

If you go to this link it is from Telus and will help you with your new phone.

https://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/phones/iphone-se 

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Backup your se, then follow the directions when setting up the new phone to access the backup and move everything from the se to the 6. 
You may find the 6 performance not as quick as the se, though the screen is bigger. 

@splynch just swop your sim card over. And restart your phone. Don't forget to enable sms and mms so that you can text and receive texts from Android phones.  If you have any problems Run it through ITunes  use this method to push through the changes and to confirm and reset the SIM (sync to iTunes)
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)
6. Disconnect and restart. From @luddite.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@splynch Hi all should remain the same as long as you backed everything up have a great day it should be seamless (famous last words) 😁

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@splynch You just put your sim into new phone. Data and apps are synchronized with Cloud, so you can re-download them on your new phone. 

Need Help? Let's chat.