cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New cell phone

sorinsimnic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can I buy a new cell phone from Public Network?

23 REPLIES 23

JC29
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Sorry but PM does not carry phones hence you can't buy new cell phones from them.

They just provide you with a prepaid monthly plan

@Korth  All I need is to keep nosy people from accessing mostly photography. Other than what has been forced upon me in the digital age I'm still pretty old fashioned when it comes to the storage of sensitive information. It's not on any of my digital devices. Anything that can be accessed thru the internet does not have passwords stored on it and I employ all security features offered. All my passords are stored in my brain as are most of my commonly used phone numbers and i dont stay logged into anything. Not that I have any big secrets to hide I just like to keep things private and my recent experience with very determined identity thieves was thwarted by the mere fact that I've kept layers of security on the most mundane  aspects of daily life that most people prefer convenience  over extra steps for accessibility. Encryption simply gives me peace of mind for a digital product that I cannot protect with traditional techniques. Excuse me while I fashion my latest tinfoil chapeau...

@darlicious

Encryption is just a lock. And like any other lock it can eventually be picked or bypassed. 

Digital information can be stored indefinitely and copied any number of times.

And locksmiths never had to contend with Moore's Law. The math always "proves" that the latest-and-greatest encryption will take some ridiculous number of lifetimes of the universe to defeat with a methodical attack. Yet "modern" computers only need minutes to crunch through the mightiest "decade old" encryptions - just as they did a decade ago, and the decade before that, and every other decade all the way back to WW2.

So encrypting your not nuclear secrets probably won't be secure forever. And it absolutely won't be secure against Big Powerful Agencies who decide you're interesting. But it'll definitely lock out cops, criminals, private detectives, paparazzi, and "leet haxors" who might be after your data. 

@Korth  Awesome thank you! A multiple platform encryption would be the best choice. I will certainly explore the options and see what best suits my needs. I'm not smuggling nuclear secrets or anything but I do value my privacy and I've had one cbsa shakedown before the digital age to know prying eyes sometimes have no rules or laws to stop them from privacy invasion until after the fact

@darlicious wrote:

Your response is in line with what I was thinking that it is safer but encryption is a smart move. How does one do this?

Some phones have the feature built in, an option like "Encrypt Storage Card" buried somewhere in Settings. This is likely the easiest way but I think it's insecure (because anyone can buy the the same phone model to attempt decrypt) and it's inconvenient (because you be stuck needing the same phone model to decrypt it yourself).

Some file manager apps allow you to Encrypt/Decrypt specific files or folders by click-selecting them. ES File Explorer is free and uses a strong proven crypto. Many similar apps exist which could be as good (or better), but I haven't tried them.

But if you aren't comfortable manipulating file and folder stuff in the operating system then this isn't a good option. 

AESCrypt is probably the best commercial crypto app available. Boxcrypter is arguably the best free crypto app available. They're both easy to use, both use vastly overkill cryptography, and both offer multi-platform support (so you could encrypt or decrypt the contents of your SD card on any phone, tablet, laptop, or PC which you can plug it into).

@Korth  Your response is in line with what I was thinking that it is safer but encryption is a smart move. How does one do this?

@cavemantoronto  Aha...now I see the point. That doesn't explain the pilfering of info by the manufacturer.....? That could definitely be a concern when it comes to the apps. And a concern when it comes to the bf as he has a habit of losing/smashing screens. That was part of the reason for the purchase of a cheap phone so the loss of it would not be in the pocketbook as well. It's only intended as a back up....the real replacement is under the tree. Then the cheap one will be there when the inevitable happens.....

@GinYVR wrote:

I would not recommend adding memory cards to phones, since Android is phasing out the support for it. I would caution against buying phones from entities that don't have a presence in Canada, since Canadian privacy laws will not apply and there is no recourse if they decide to pilfer your information.

I actually disagree with this advice.

Memory cards (and the data stored on them) can easily be transferred from device to device. This is a great convenience to end-users, easy to move data around, easy to share data by making it portable, easy to migrate your off-cloud stuff when you replace or upgrade your device.

I don't view it as increased security threat because thieves would have to already have your phone to get the storage card out of your phone. Data on the storage card can be encrypted just like data on the phone itself. Data on the storage card remains intact even if the phone itself gets bricked or burned or broken. Data in your pocket is isolated from all the hackers and predators which threaten the cloud (let alone the untrustworthy promises of greedy or technically incompetent corporations who own the cloud storage hardware).

I personally have a lot more confidence in common sense and strong encryption than I have in nebulously defined and unenforceable laws. And Canadian privacy laws have never provided me any comfort before, lol, especially when it comes to internet and to wireless communications, I've seen agencies like the CRTC wibble-wobble after money and fold when confronted by lobby groups often enough. 

But your claim is still interesting. Can you point at your source? 

@darlicious wrote:
How does does a removable sd card become a security and privacy issue? 

When a phone is lost or stolen,  internal storage can be remotely wiped. Most don't encrypt their memory cards.  There's also issue with peformance.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@darliciousI would not recommend adding memory cards to phones, since Android is phasing out the support for it. I would caution against buying phones from entities that don't have a presence in Canada, since Canadian privacy laws will not apply and there is no recourse if they decide to pilfer your information.

Where did you hear android is phasing out support for memory cards? 

They've been saying that for years and use the security argument.  Manufacturers keep installing them and buyers still want it.

I'm a little confused about the memory card issue here. The phone was bought from London drugs, imported by a Canadian company from a well known American company and made in China but pretty much everything is made there. The micro sd card is solely to boost the 8gb memory of the phone which was also used in my flip phone for music storage and now used additionally for app support. How does does a removable sd card become a security and privacy issue? Would it not be more of an issue having the same information in the unremovable memory of smartphone be a bigger concern? It's a common selling point of phones that a dual sim or micro sd slot feature in a phone or conversely a memory card slot in a tablet to boost memory is an advantage. Have I completed missed something here?

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@darliciousI would not recommend adding memory cards to phones, since Android is phasing out the support for it. I would caution against buying phones from entities that don't have a presence in Canada, since Canadian privacy laws will not apply and there is no recourse if they decide to pilfer your information.

They've been saying that for years and use the security argument.  Manufacturers keep installing them and buyers still want it.

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@GinYVR wrote:

@popping  Of course warning about reading the contract carefully was the intent but the suggestion that you could use the gc to pay off the device subsidy makes it sound like a good idea....after reading the contract you would have to pay both back. Adding the gc idea just confuses the OP. I wanted @sorinsimnic  to be clear on the concept being flawed.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious 

My post was a warning about getting a contract tier 1 or 2 provider.  The GC will not cover cancellation penalty if not staying for 2 year.  Read the contract before signing the dotted line.

@sorinsimnic  Public mobile does not sell cell phones.  Unless  @popping has actually used her advice I would not suggest that method. Generally speaking once cancelling a cell phone contract with a device subsidy you must pay the full price of the phone plus taxes and return or repay any "gift" given with it in one lump sum. The phone cost is always the MSRP at the top end so you won't get any discounts that may be offered to buy an unlocked phone outright. Most people who purchase their phone outright will save about 20% over the length of the contract at a first tier provider. Your savings will be greater at public mobile. My phone bought all in two years ago for $400 would cost about $14.40 a month over 2 years plus plan cost. When I bought my boyfriend's phone out the device subsidy on a $400 phone was $20.35 per month plus the much higher plan cost which us why it made since to buy out the final six months and switch. There are great deals on phones right now and for boxing day or Amazon.ca. The umidigi A5 pro dual sim comes highly recommended and is selling for $135. 32gb 16 mp camera Android phone on a "contract" that would be $5.65 a month. Unless you want only a high end latest and greatest phone you are much better off doing a little research and buying your own phone just make sure it's compatible. I just bought a back up rca smartphone on cyber Monday for $40 with a memory card it works just fine.

popping

@GinYVR wrote:

@sorinsimnicPublic Mobile doesn't sell phones.

However if you are signing up for plans that are $35+/month. There are always deals on Boxing days where retail places like Best Buy give away gift certificates usually a couple hundred $ along with rebates and $0 deals from places like Koodo or Fido (Virgin doesn't do much discounting). That works out you are basically getting a phone for free if not more. It really depends on how much you want to spend / month.

If people are thinking to activate, get GC, cancel, keep the phone and pay the phone balance with GC, make sure to ask what is the phone account balance after activation which is what you have to pay back if you are not staying for 2 years.  Read the contract slowing about the cancelation payment before signing.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Public mobile doesnt sell cell phones.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@sorinsimnicPublic Mobile doesn't sell phones.

However if you are signing up for plans that are $35+/month. There are always deals on Boxing days where retail places like Best Buy give away gift certificates usually a couple hundred $ along with rebates and $0 deals from places like Koodo or Fido (Virgin doesn't do much discounting). That works out you are basically getting a phone for free if not more. It really depends on how much you want to spend / month.

GreaseMonkey
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Unfortunately you can't.

But if you are looking for a decent phone, Walmart is selling

TELUS Motorola E6 for $129. Regular price $160

I'm pretty sure it will work on PM network since its owned by telus.

@sorinsimnic When looking for a new phone the option for a "fee" or heavily disounted carrier phone can be appealing. Just be sure you add up the full cost for 24 months and compare that to Public Mobile with a phone purchased outright. My recent research suggests you will at best break even, and in many cases be worse off with the "free" phone. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

sorinsimnic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

OK thanks!

popping

@sorinsimnic wrote:

Can I buy a new cell phone from Public Network?

PM does not sell phones.  PM only provides mobile service.

Need Help? Let's chat.