cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sim Card

Patmac
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Have to get as new sim card as old phone used a micro and new needs a nano. Already ordered but wondering if I can keep my number which everyone has and is on resume. Old sim is also Public Mobile.

9 REPLIES 9

Patmac

Thanks I will try that once my spare arrives!  Although hopefully I can get stuff transferred over first. Old phone has decided to charge, jealous I think, of the new phone!

Presumably some ancient SIMs had a much larger area for the actual chip thus the larger overall size? But all of the SIMs that I have seen have the small chip & contact area that fits in the nano sized area. You just have to be sure you are only cutting away the excess plastic and not through the actual chip! As you can see in this picture from a previous post, it isn’t in the middle, you need to cut more from one side than the other. I have usually found that a I have to cut through the gold contact part just a little down the side but that hasn’t been a problem so far. Worth a shot once you have your “emergency spare” at the ready.

AE_CollectorD93A30DD-A5FD-4BDE-BCE0-CE0E94812857.jpeg

@sam777aircraft wrote:

Since you ordered a new sim card anyways, it wouldn't hurt to trim the sim card down to fit your phone. If you cut the same amount of all 4 sides you will not damage the card and it will work. I have done this to several cards in the past with success.

@Patmac As @sam777aircraft  wrote, it is easy to trim a sim card down to size. Google it for directions. I have done it a few times with no issues as well.

sam777aircraft

Since you ordered a new sim card anyways, it wouldn't hurt to trim the sim card down to fit your phone. If you cut the same amount of all 4 sides you will not damage the card and it will work. I have done this to several cards in the past with success.

If by chance you can break the nano size sim out of a frame that it is in making it the larger micro size, you will be able to use the new one you ordered to help get a Friend on to PM and get $1 per month off for doing the referral. Just dont switch to the new SIM until you are sure your old one cant be reduced in size. Or if you feel adventurous, take a pair of scissors to your old one if it is strictly the one size. I have cut several SIM cards down to nano size successfully. You will have a spare on hand in case anything goes wrong.

AE_Collector

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You just need to log into your account to change your sim.

Once you receive your new SIM card, you can change the SIM card number on your account via Self-Serve by following these steps:

1. Log into your Self-Serve account
  2. Go to Plan and Add-ons > Change SIM card

Triguy_0-1603383783805.png

1. Enter your new SIM card number into the field. Your SIM card number is found on the back of your SIM card, as outlined in the image below:

Triguy_1-1603383783818.png

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Patmac wrote:

Have to get as new sim card as old phone used a micro and new needs a nano. Already ordered but wondering if I can keep my number which everyone has and is on resume. Old sim is also Public Mobile.

Yes you can keep your number. When your new sim comes just go into self service and choose the option to change sim card.

Edit: You may not need a new sim card. Have a look at  your existing sim card and see if you can punch out to get from micro to nano size.

sim2.jpg

metropublic
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Patmac wrote:

@Patmac  Public Mobile sim cards are tri-punch so from a micro sim your can punch it out and  and convert it to a nano sim.

If you decide to purchase and use another sim you just need to go into your selfserve account and select the change sim card option. Enter the new sim card number and restart your phone. That's it!!

Need Help? Let's chat.