cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Pixel 4 XL (refurbished, unlocked) SIM card not supported

michael_s
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I got a refurbished Pixel 4 XL from the BestBuy marketplace. I was assured it is unlocked, I have done all the updates and now am getting a SIM card error, saying it's not supported and to contact Sprint. I contacted Google and they took me through all the troubleshooting to no success. They told me to contact my service provider.

Is this a common issue? Would getting  new SIM card from PM solve this? (it's been crapping out lately anyway, sometimes not being detected in my old phone - but then my old phone is falling apart anyway).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

22 REPLIES 22

Udonitron

It's too bad PM doesn't support eSIM. 

@michael_s just return it and look for a real unlocked pixel 4xl. 

there's an eBay ad for $446+19 shipping

michael_s

I tried asking the seller to unlock it but no dice

michael_s

The only reason I am considering it is that the Pixel 4 XL is impossible to find anymore so I'm willing to wait it out a bit longer. The next best thing is a 4a 5g and it's smaller, made of plastic, lower resolution and costs $200 more. So I really want this to work out.

@michael_s , forget that nonsense. I would returned the dang phone. If the seller didn't unlocked the phone for some strange reason, then you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get it unlocked. Maybe am crazy or old school, but when I buy something, I expect it to work. And if it doesn't am returning it!

Yeah, the phone may be cheaper and refurbished. It's refurbished for a reason?! You wonder why it was refurbished. Buy a different phone and new. Sometimes a lemon is a lemon. See the signs, and run!

That's my two cents, so am running now!

@michael_s contact the seller from best buy and tell them to purchase an unlock code for you instead of a refund. it costs them more to ship it back than to unlock the phone for you

michael_s

Update on the phone situation. Google support has told me the phone is still technically under warranty and that I should take it to a UBreakIFix repair store to have the matter resolved.

I called the store and they told me with no uncertainty that they do not unlock phones. I have yet to hear back from Google after updating them on this.

What do you guys make if this?

@gpixel wrote:

@michael_s the seller didn't want to unlock the phone for you?

Sellers of phone devices don't have to be customers of the carrier that it was originally from. Especially when the selller is sell more than one at a time, we can't be certain where the seller purchased this phone from.

@gpixel  I don't disagree that the seller should either get the phone unlocked or replace the device. I was referring to how Sprint said that only the original owner could ask them to unlock it.

@michael_s the seller didn't want to unlock the phone for you?

@computergeek541 

I would've imagined the seller would've paid for the unlock code on their behalf. seeing as they were advertising an unlocked pixel 4xl

*👍 

michael_s

Thanks for the explanation, and for researching this issue. I have been issued a refund and am sending the phone back... which is a shame because the 4XL was *the* phone for me, and I got it refurbished for a steal. Going to order a Pixel 4a 5G cause it's the next best thing (I need a bigger screen than the 5 has).

I don't know any of the details besides the seller being from Texas and that it's a Sprint lock. When I called Sprint they said they couldn't do anything without the original owner calling in. Google support just ran me through the troubleshooting steps... though I wonder if I kept pestering them, would they send me a new phone? Probably not, since mine's refurbished.

Anyway, thanks again guys for all the help!

@michael_s  apologies on my earlier post. @computergeek541  is indeed correct. Seems like lots of people have had this issue.

If you google "google pixel 4 xl sim card not supported error" many things come up.

I read a few and seems like people were getting new phones that were supposed to be unlocked. Had to go back and forth between provider and Google and later was determined maybe someone in shipping made an error and may have shipped carrier locked phones when they were supposed to be unlocked phones. The issue was difficult (at least as far as I read) because carrier has the model (I guess IMEI) or however they pull it up in their system and it says unlocked but when Google searches something else it says carried locked. Sounds like a big mess to me.

Some wrote they had 3 or 4 replacements shipped to them with same issue until they finally got one unlocked and working. Others wrote they called Google tech and the tech called the carrier's tech while the person was on phone. They did some changes in background. Person had to do some settings on the phone and a factory reset then it started working.

Now these are all people talking in the US and are legitimate buyers of the phones who have plans with these networks. Not sure how any of that will work for you since you're in Canada 🤔..

Is there any possibility to get back in touch with the seller??(of course after your do some reading on Google searches about all the people that have experienced this)...there must be away for the seller to issue a refund or some type of buyers protection on  best buy marketplace?

Could be the seller got fedup with replacements and say "ah I'll just sell it online. If buyer calls Sprint I know their system says it's unlocked so not my problem".

After you read some things on Google please keep us updated on what you're deciding to do and if the seller is any help. It will be interesting to hear the outcome.

I'm sorry I have no other idea of something you could do or try other the contacting seller, Google , Sprint ( after you do read up on what is happening with some of these phones) maybe someone else has a trick or idea what you could do and I'm sure they'll comment if they do. 

Best of luck!

@Jb456  @michael_s 

I can say that peforming a quick Google search has revealed that a few people were complaining about this same issue with even brand new unlocked devices purchased directly from Google.

@computergeek541  

I put lines through that post. Can you un-tick it as the solution? I'm also going to edit out the other to GPix.

It sounds like it's back to the drawing board.

From my understanding with Sprint (and some other USA providers) to unlock a phone you have to have had it active on their network for x amount of time. Then you request Sprint that they send their unlock through their network.

To finalize the unlock (This is just from reading and may not pertain to OPs phone) you have to either have a Sprint sim card in the phone for the unlock to complete or be connected to one of Sprints wifi network.

Few questions.

1- Do you think it could be something like that?. The seller may have had a newer phone and that was their old phone. Called Sprint asking them to send the unlock and simply shipped it out thinking the buyer would be in USA to get a signal Sprint finalize the unlock?

2- Do you think maybe the seller never completed their terms and condtions for x amount of months / good standing client. So Sprint never did the unlock?

3- Do you think buying a unlock code online would help in anyway?

I've tried searching eBay for Sprint pixel 4xl unlock codes. Nothing really comes up but T-Mobile, Verizon & ATT do. One phone sale I found the person's description said something like. If you see phones that have different carrier names it's unlocked for all networks but if you see only a specific carriers name it's locked just unlocked for their network. Then some phones said CDMA only while others had CDMA/GSM.

I'm also somewhat stumped with the sim error part. 

Back in the day I'd watch the prepaid phone sales across border and go pick a bunch up for resale. I always stayed away from Sprint, Boost mobile & TracFone. As whatever forum I used back then ( I think gsmhosting) always said stay away from those phones they're hard to unlock and most only work on certain networks. I'd stick to Version (not their CDMA). Certain kinds easy to unlock with ABD shell and Att phones. Was usually successful until once a scooped up a few prepaid iPhones for really cheap and they had no sim at all. That was a bummer 😅.

I've done the edits please remove the solution. Thanks.

@Jb456 wrote:

@michael_s 

I think I found your issue and answer.

What is the exact model of the phone?

Possibly 

Model:GA01218-US
SKU

Thats a CDMA phone.

Canadian networks stopped supporting CDMA phones in May 2016. United States carriers who continue using CDMA after that date include Sprint and Verizon. United States carriers which use GSM include AT&T and T Mobile. 

So although the phone may be unlocked. It's unlocked for other CDMA carrier's Verizon.

Won't work in Canada unfortunately.

Should have bought a TMobile or ATT unlocked phone as they use the same network and Public Mobile USA roaming plans work with them.

Maybe try to return the phone??

A phone having CDMA does not mean that a phone does not have 2g GSM/HSPA/LTE.  In recent years, phone device manufactuers have made phones that support all of the above.  I believe that the Pixel 4XL would be one of those.  The Verizon version of the Mote E (2nd generation) was a good example of a popular device from the past 5 years that had both CDMA and GSM/HSPA/LTE.

I'm also not sure about thge phone reporting that the SIM card isn't supported is the result of it being a CDMA-only phone. The phone wouldn't care if the SIM card is from an HSPA/LTE or CDMA carrier when it comes to messages such as that. The phone just wouldn't be able to find any CDMA signal here if it only has CDMA connectivity.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@michael_s contact the seller and tell them it's locked to sprint. they will unlock it for you for free.

there was another member on here that also bought from a seller at Best Buy and they unlocked their phone for them

michael_s

This must be it. Thank you.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

@michael_s 

Possibly 

SKU

Thats a CDMA phone.

Canadian networks stopped supporting CDMA phones in May 2016. United States carriers who continue using CDMA after that date include Sprint and Verizon. United States carriers which use GSM include AT&T and T Mobile. 

So although the phone may be unlocked. It's unlocked for other CDMA carrier's Verizon.

Should have bought a TMobile or ATT unlocked phone as they use the same network and Public Mobile USA roaming plans work with them.

@Jb456 Great pick up!

EDIT -I went and lined out my response. May be incorrect. Back to drawing board. Asked PCgeek to remove solution.

@michael_s 

Possibly 

SKU

Thats a CDMA phone.

metropublic
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@michael_s wrote:

Hello, I got a refurbished Pixel 4 XL from the BestBuy marketplace. I was assured it is unlocked, I have done all the updates and now am getting a SIM card error, saying it's not supported and to contact Sprint. I contacted Google and they took me through all the troubleshooting to no success. They told me to contact my service provider.

Is this a common issue? Would getting  new SIM card from PM solve this? (it's been crapping out lately anyway, sometimes not being detected in my old phone - but then my old phone is falling apart anyway).

@michael_s  Go into the settings -> system -> Reset Options and reset it to factory settings go through the setup and insert the PM sim card when prompted what happens?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

What exactly does it say the error?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@michael_s wrote:

@michael_s It should certainly be unlocked. Maybe try an eraser, gently on the contacts of the sim card. As it was sketchy in your last phone, a new one may be warranted. Can you borrow a different sim from someone to try? If you do buy a new sim DO NOT activate it!

You can go into your self serve account and select change Sim card.

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 4.13.16 PM.png

Need Help? Let's chat.