cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone will noit automatically establish a connection to Public Mobile

robweir
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife just purchased a new Smart Phone which is an Android 10.0  It is a No-Name phone which I have inserted her old SIM card into Slot one of two Slots. Everything is working fine except my Connection to the Public Mobile Network.  It attempts to connect automatically but fails.

Any assistance would be welcome.  It uses 3G if that helps in anyway. 

31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@robweir : If they had supplied more reliable specs then maybe whatever they modeled the phone after wouldn't've mattered. As long as it worked. But nice resolution nonetheless.

@robweir 

I'm happy to hear Wish refunded you for a misleading product. When you narrow down your choices for a new phone post a topic and the community will be happy to provide feedback on your choices.

robweir

My wife has written much of what I discovered about the phone she was sent by WISH and how it was false advertising.  She then submitted it to them.  As a gesture in thoroughness, in matters like this, I must say they have promptly refunded 100% of the purchase price.  She is relieved but we notice that it is still on sale on their site  Hopefully they will deal with that soon. Go figure ...

Robert

@robweir 

Wishful thinking.......

Keep your eye out for lightning deals on amazon.ca.

Flash sales at B&H photo.

Open box deals at swiftronics.ca

All reputable retailers just be careful with who the seller is on amazon.ca stick with amazon themselves for the most part.

@robweir next thing , i hope you can get a full refund without issue.  🙂

Well.ca, although the site is legitimate , it  has many questionable sellers.  I usually stay away from it.

robweir

Hi Community

I am very pleased with all the replies that have been given for my question.  I installed a Terminal App on the unit and looked under the hood on this unit.  It is deficient on many fronts which I will spell out here.  It said it had a MTK6989 which I could not even find (except in ads similar to what she bought).  The closest Processor I could find is a MTK6889 10 core and that was first released in 2020.  It actually has a MT6572 2 core unit which was first realeased in 2013.  It said it had 16GB of RAM ands 500GB of storage ROM.  I could not find anything but around 8GB in total, although my method may be not seeing everything.  It said it has a 6800 mah battery but it ran down in a few hours.  This could be because of the power demands of the very old processor but I question from looking at it that it has anywhere near to 6800 mah capacity. It said it has a USB-C connector but is a USB-B type. 

It is a bogus unit and we will seek to get it dealt with.  As far as this question is concerned I consider it a finished one.  Again I want to thank so many who have done everything possible to help me sort it out.  I really appreciate it ...

Robert

Anonymous
Not applicable

@robweir : I'm not logging in to some rando site with all kinds of web crap on it. Hopefully just opening it didn't bring anything unwanted. Please find a much better reference.

As softech mentioned earlier:

Public Mobile utilizes the following frequency bands:

4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS)

HSPA:
850 MHz and 1900 MHz (UMTS)

The lower one is primary for talk/text. Bands 5 and 2.

honest, if you can still return it, you might consider returning it if you still can't get it work on PM.  This phone does not have a clear spec and I am not 100% certain it is compatible with PM

@robweir 

That is the same as listed on ali express. If she can return it to wish she should. 

yes.. browse around AliExpress and the actual Chinese site alibaba, you can find knockoff for anything and everything.. SAD...

yes, price is too good to be true.. but support and quality is a nightmare

@Anonymous 

I posted the specs that ali express had listed but that means nothing. I suspect that this is similar to maxwest phones.....what they say and what they do are two totally different things.

@robweir 

You can go into a retailer like london drugs or best buy and ask to try a couple of other sim cards for the rogers, bell and telus networks and see if you can get any of them to connect to any network. All retailers have active sim cards for potential customers to see if their phone will work on a prospective network.

Switching between 3G Only and   4G/3G/2G (auto connect)

1. Tap on Apps icon from the Home screen.
2. Tap on Settings icon.
3. Drag the Screen upwards to access more Settings.
4. Select and tap on Mobile networks settings.
5 Tap on Network mode SIM 1.
6  Select and tap on the difference choices there

curious, where you but this phone from? Aliexpress ? or some local stores here or Amazon.ca?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@robweir : Can you post a link to this specific phone. I didn't know rip-offs of Samsung phones were happening. It sounds like the Samsung S21 etc. Or the actual specs in a manual or something. It would seem the phone is not in fact compatible. The joys of buying things from elsewhere. But we need the specs.

Did you also try setting to LTE/WCDMA etc.

robweir

It says Registering on Public Mobile 3G ...

then spins for awhile (maybe a couple of minutes)

then

Can't connect to this netwrk right now.  Try again later ...

It has done this now several times.  What should come up when Registering the phone to answer?

yes, that's the same phone I found.  Honest, I don't have confidence this no name knockoff phone would work in all network in Canada.  It might work on some but not all.

@robweir  try to see if you can get SIM from other providers (like Rogers, Bell, etc) and see if it works on those instead.   Worst case, you can try to sell it privately to those that works

whichever SIM you are testing.. if automatic failed to connect try this for manual select the proper provider based on the SIM care you are testing

(this is based on Samsung phone, your phone menu could be slightly different)

1. From the front screen, tap Apps.
  2. Choose Settings.
  3. Choose Mobile Networks (for some phone, you might need to choose More Networks, then Mobile Networks)
  4. Choose Network Operators.
  5. Choose the Network you would like to connect to.

@softech 

Almost impossible to find anything about this phone except it is no longer available for sale on ali express.

@robweir 

From the lack info on this phone and the 3 reviews with the first one obviously a fake (lol... delivery from ali express 1 week to Spain?) this "phone" is long on promise and short on delivery. The specs may say its compatible but does it even have the software or even the hardware to get it to connect?

Try another provider's active sim card in it and see if it can connect to their network or if the same issue occurs. I think your best hope is to be able to "game" on it. I hope I'm terribly wrong.....

Screenshot_20210703-224503~2.pngScreenshot_20210703-224625~2.png

@esjliv 

I believe the OP and the description of the phone alludes to this not being samsung galaxy phone but the knock off gaming phone as pictured in the pic supplied by softech. I could be wrong...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@robweir : I would pretty much bet it would be compatible. If it works anything like mine does, pull down from the top and touch the little gear icon in the upper right corner. Then scroll all the way down to About phone and touch it. Then you should find Model number. Mine is SM-A315F/DS.

Then upper left back arrow, scroll all the way back up and touch Connections. Then Mobile networks. What do you see for Network mode?

Then further down touch Network operators. Is it set to automatic?

@robweir wrote:

Theyhave referred to it as a Global Version Gaming Smartphone S21+Ultra with 4G/5G support.  Galaxys2ultra Model as mentioned before.  And thanks for the help ...

Hello @robweir 

Are there 1 or 2 phones involved here?

Can you try the SIM into another compatible Public Mobile device to see if connection works?

Samsung Galaxy -Do a Reset of Network Settings
  1. From a Home screen, swipe up or down from the center of the display to access the apps screen. ...
  2. Navigate: Settings. ...
  3. Tap Reset network settings.
  4. Review the info then tap Reset settings. ...
  5. To confirm, review the info then tap Reset.

Also, could the phone be locked? Contact your previous provider(owner) to unlock it for you. You will need your imei number, dial *#06# to get it.

Never hurts to check this either....if your phone is blacklisted, check here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

(what is the problem with PM Community tonight?  I was just trying to post the bands need on PM and it keeps moving them  to unmoderated box... )

this is just what I am trying to post.. what is the issue ?  why unmoderated box?

@robweir  this are the bands need on PM

E-NetworkBands.png

check the spec on the manual ,  make sure it has the bands PM needs:

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).
4G = B2 (1900), B4/B66 (2100 or 1700), B5 (850), B7 (2600), B12/B17 (700), B13 (700), B29 (700-Suppl. DL), B30 (2300)
3G = B2(1900) B5 (850)

Minimum recommended phone specs:

3G UMTS/W-CDMA/HSPA: B2 (1900) and B5 (850)
4G FDD-LTE: B4, B12

is this the one?

softech_0-1625365248758.png

I can't really find out more about this phone

is this the one ?

softech_0-1625365116852.png

(was to post the link, but smart PM Unmoderated box banned me ..)

I can't really find out much about this phone.  still do not know what bands this phone has. 

Does it come with a manual to confirm?  You will need to make sure the phone has the required bands

4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
4G = B2 (1900), B4/B66 (2100 or 1700), B5 (850), B7 (2600), B12/B17 (700), B13 (700), B29 (700-Suppl. DL), B30 (2300)
3G = B2(1900) B5 (850)

is it this one?

Global S21+ Ultra 4G/5G phone Unlocked Android phone Version 16&512GB Storage Mobile Gaming Smartpho...

honest, really can't find out much about the bands it has.  

Does it has a manual to confirm which bands it has?

3G = B2(1900) B5 (850)

robweir

Theyhave referred to it as a Global Version Gaming Smartphone S21+Ultra with 4G/5G support.  Galaxys2ultra Model as mentioned before.  And thanks for the help ...

@robweir   what is the phone brand and model?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@robweir : More questions and suggestions to answer 🙂

robweir

About the earlier question I am not in MB but BC.  I am not sure how to try a manual connection with 3G.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@robweir  can you select network manually and do you see Public Mobile as one of the choices?

Did you try connecting to 3G Only instead of  automatic?

you might want to give use the model and brand to check if your phone has the required bands.  Most phones sold in Canada these days should work on PM... but if you got your smaller brand phone from other country, it might not have the bands needed.

Need Help? Let's chat.