cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone is not working/activating

Lor
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there.
Bought a new phone Galaxy A71 (model SM-A715W)

Got a new Sim card and a new number this morning, but the phone is still not working.  It doesn't seem activated.  When we dial the new number, it directly goes to "voice mail".

Is there a problem with phone compatibility?  I don't see the A71 listed on compatible phones, but wonder if the list is kept up to date?

Or does it take a while to activate the new phone number?
I sent a message to the moderator but after asking me for details, they disappeared.

Any help or insight would be helpful.

Thank you

Lorin

10 REPLIES 10

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Lor wrote:

Hi there.

Got a new Sim card and a new number this morning, but the phone is still not working.  It doesn't seem activated.  When we dial the new number, it directly goes to "voice mail".

@Lor  You've indicated that you activated a new SIM/number but you seem to have been a customer since 2016. If you don't want your old number/account be sure you have disabled autopay in the old account. Otherwise you will be paying for 2.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Lor 

The vast majority of activations and ports are quick and trouble free but there's always a few that don't quite go as planned. Unfortunately one of them ended up being yours....but once contacted the moderators do a great job of sorting out account issues and there's always community members ready to jump in and help out with any issues that can be solved without the need of a moderator. There's a bit of a learning curve but once you take a little time to learn how to solve common issues you'll be empowered by your new found knowledge and the envy of all your friends.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Lor   Thanks for updating us and great to hear everything is resolved quickly for you.  welcome to PM 😊

Lor
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you all for your responses.

I restarted the phone and the moderator activated the SIM card so it's working now.  
I thought, everything would have been automatic.

In any case, problem solved.

I appreciate the quick responses.

@gblackma wrote:

@dabr incomplete. 👍Stay safe

@gblackma   Yeah, probably should have said "incomplete" instead  of "not complete" but I think OP should get it 😊

@dabr incomplete. 👍Stay safe

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Lor dial #21# to disable call fowarding if it is enabled. Try a network reset and restart your phone. 

Reset Network Settings SAMSUNG Galaxy A71
  1. Firstly, choose Settings.
  2. Secondly, go to General management.
  3. After that select Reset and Reset Network Settings.
  4. At the end choose Reset Settings and Reset.
  5. Well done!

Welcome to the community. Stay safe. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Lor wrote:

Hi there.

Is there a problem with phone compatibility?  I don't see the A71 listed on compatible phones, but wonder if the list is kept up to date?

Or does it take a while to activate the new phone number?
I sent a message to the moderator but after asking me for details, they disappeared.

Any help or insight would be helpful.

Thank you

Lorin

@Lor   That compatibility list is not complete so your phone not being there doesn't always mean a lot. 

Have you tried rebooting your phone, maybe a few times if necessary while you wait to hear back from moderators.  Response time to hear back from mods can be 2-48 hours so you'll need to bit patient, but usually they respond within an hour or two.  Keep an eye on the envelope icon top right of your screen to see if moderators have responded.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Lor 

Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. They are looking into your account. Sometimes it take a few hours to message back to you so be patient in that regard.

Did you activate with a new number or port in your phone number? Is the voicemail your old voicemail? Did you recieve a welcome email or text message with your pin#?

Whoops....new number....its possible your sim card didn't provision correctly. If you supplied the moderators with the correct info they are working on fixing there issue.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

The Moderators don't just disappear like that. If you've already submitted a ticker, be sure that you will receive an answer!

Need Help? Let's chat.