cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone Ideas

Batman96
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My Motorola Moto E that I bought in January 2021 is factory resetting itself and turning itself off, I am an existing PM customer,  I contacted Motorola and they want me to send it to FutureTel in Markham which I’ve heard horror stories about. I have the BestBuy Geek Squad warranty which would give me a gift card for the full amount, What phone would be a good replacement for a Moto E. I was thinking a Moto G fast from Costco. Are there any affordable phones under $250 with an extended warranty option in Canada worth buying that are compatible with PM?

10 REPLIES 10

@Batman96 

yes, I think Samsung has a very strong line up for entry level phone.  You might want to check Samsung A11 or A21

@Batman96 

Seeing as you got a lemon of a phone I can see why the warranty on the phone is important to you so my suggestion for moto g7+ while in your price range....it was bought online from B&H on sale (they flash sale certain phones) for US$119 ($170-$180 cdn)has a questionable warranty because its from the US.

I myself don't worry about the warranty too much and kind of hope for the best in away but I always purchase with a credit card that has extended warranty insurance ( adds an extra year) and now only use my visa avion because it includes device insurance in case its lost, stolen or damaged. (Beyond the normal 90 days for most cards.)

Check your credit cards for which ones include these possible benefits for free or a small monthly premium

sujathad
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Samsung phones are really good.  If you can't afford the S series.  Go with the A series.  The picture quality is good.  You have Samsung pay which is a great as Apple pay.  Organic led on phones keeps your display nice and bright even on a sunny day while you're walking outside. 

Batman96

I already have the $15 plan with PM since January 2021, all I am looking for is a new phone as the Moto E is causing me issues . Thanks for all the help so far greatly appreciated 

@Batman96 

I'd recommend selecting the $15 plan then.

It's a no-frills plan which covers all the bases for what usage you'll need.  100 outgoing minutes and 250MB of data per 30-day cycle.

Unlimited incoming calling and unlimited international texting.

Also, don't forget to get an existing customer's referral code before activating to get $10 credit on your account, and if you sign up for auto-pay, you'll get $2 off each cycle.

Batman96

Thank you. I’m not Anti apple just not in my price range. The Moto G fast has 3G of RAM and 32GB of storage. I make probably 4 calls a week 30 seconds each to be picked up from work or an appointment. And I use around 75MB of data a month and that’s all I need the phone for. 

@Batman96 

If you're anti-Apple (as i sorta am), the Samsung and Motorola brands have been good to me in the past several years.

Those are the only model's of devices I've owned.  (except for this vintage Audiovox, which was virtually indestructible and had amazing voice quality & battery life - owned it for 6-7 years!!!)

HALIMACS_0-1619876160789.png

Just make sure you're getting one with sufficient RAM and memory for what you'll need it for.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Batman96 wrote:

My Motorola Moto E that I bought in January 2021 is factory resetting itself and turning itself off, I am an existing PM customer,  I contacted Motorola and they want me to send it to FutureTel in Markham which I’ve heard horror stories about. I have the BestBuy Geek Squad warranty which would give me a gift card for the full amount, What phone would be a good replacement for a Moto E. I was thinking a Moto G fast from Costco. Are there any affordable phones under $250 with an extended warranty option in Canada worth buying that are compatible with PM?

@Batman96 

Always good to check whether a phone will work with any provider, especially Public Mobile. Use more than one source to be sure.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA

https://willmyphonework.net

There can absolutely be compatible phones under the $250 price point. Be on the hunt and lookout for when some $'s drop or go on sale. Warranties may vary and may be harder to come by for extended ones.

Like @mimmo posted Public Mobile offers the 1 year, and Costco offers an extended one as well.

New Samsung models are now released so the previous models will hopefully move into a lower price category.

Happy hunting!

Batman96

Thank you, Any phone models or brands to avoid. I know LG phones have a lot of bloat ware on them . I was thinking Moto G fast or Samsung A11. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Pm only sells preowned phones with 1 year warranty.  Not sure where else you can get a cheap phone with extended warranty. I believe any phone sold at a retailer in Canada will be comparable with PM. 

Need Help? Let's chat.