cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer and No Service - Help I need my phone tomorrow

Shelley2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I used to have 7/11's Speakout plan and would add time whenever I had to travel from home. There was no contract and the phone was unlocked when my son gave it to me. Speakout was great until they cut coverage where our cabin is in northern Ontario several years ago. Anyway, I purchased  Public Mobility sim card today - dispite the person trying to sell me on Freedom - and I went through all of the instructions to set the phone up. I signed for pre-payments and my credit card has been billed - there is now a $2.00 credit in my account. The problem is that I can't use my phone and I get the following messages

Going into my mobile networks - insert sim card to access network service 

When trying to make a call - not registered on network 

and Invalid sim card...Network locked sim card inserted

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to travel tomorrow. Thanks.

Could this happen because I put the new sim card in before setting up an account?

7 REPLIES 7

@Shelley2  Welcome to Public Mobile.Smiley Happy

Shelley2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

problem solved, entered the rogers unlock code i found it in my pics from 2 years ago. 

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Shelley2 wrote:

Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I used to have 7/11's Speakout plan and would add time whenever I had to travel from home. There was no contract and the phone was unlocked when my son gave it to me. Speakout was great until they cut coverage where our cabin is in northern Ontario several years ago. Anyway, I purchased  Public Mobility sim card today - dispite the person trying to sell me on Freedom - and I went through all of the instructions to set the phone up. I signed for pre-payments and my credit card has been billed - there is now a $2.00 credit in my account. The problem is that I can't use my phone and I get the following messages

Could this happen because I put the new sim card in before setting up an account?

Public Mobile does not give unlock codes for Rogers phones.  Rogers can give it to you but do not know how helpful they will be if not a customer.  You can also buy unlock code from ebay or cellunlocker.net or mobileincanada.com (other sellers too).  Mobileincanada.com says employee is online for live chat so I suggest go there and ask how much and how long. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Shelley2 wrote:

Hi,

@Shelley2  Samsung phones can also be unlocked by going to the Samsung website and start a chat session.

@Shelley2 

You could try your PM sim card in another phone to determine whether it is a public mobile issue versus hardware/phone problem.  

I agree with popping.  Likely your Samsung Galaxy S5 is locked to previous carrier.  Maybe ask your son about the phone's history, etc.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

After getting your phone unlocked, you may want to port your Speakout number to PM.  Read my post on how I ported my Speakout number to PM last week.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Porting-number-from-Speakout-Apply-al...

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Shelley2 wrote:

Hi,

You Samsung s5 is locked to the Rogers network.  Speakout is also using Rogers network.  Now, PM is using Telus network.  Ask your son to phone Rogers to unlock your Samsung s5 before you can use it with PM.

Welcome to PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.